Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: The final phase

Oils and Lotions SME
    Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    Thanks for the info. Do you have a recommendation on the engine oil weight / viscosity?
    Whatever you use in your car/motorcycle will be fine. It matters little if at all.
    Last edited by Aray; 05-07-2017 at 08:53 PM.
    Hokey religions and ancient lubricants are no match for a good Group IV PAO

Owner 360 Performance Shooting

Quote Originally Posted by Robinson View Post
    So you're laying waste the dogma of branded gun lubes? The cartel of costly carbine oils? The tyranny of celeb-fuled oil endorsements?
    Just. Let. Go.

#RESIST

I use nothing but Valvoline High Mileage 20w-50 here. Why? Because it works and I got a quart for free. When I run out I'll likely use synthetic 20w-50.

So, is @Aray the Doc Roberts of lubes? (Phrasing?) And, if so, why aren't there any pinned threads...?
    Recovering Gun Store Commando. My Blog: The Clue Meter
    “It doesn’t matter what the problem is, the solution is always for us to give the government more money and power, while we eat less meat.”
    Glenn Reynolds

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Drang View Post
    ...why aren't there any pinned threads...?
    Because when you put lube on sticky threads they tend to come loose.

Quote Originally Posted by Drang View Post
    So, is @Aray the Doc Roberts of lubes? (Phrasing?) And, if so, why aren't there any pinned threads...?
    Quote Originally Posted by Aray View Post
    Whatever you use in your car/motorcycle will be fine. It matters little if at all.
    #RESIST

Anyone know what kind of gun oil the military used back in the late 60's-70's? I still have one plastic green bottle left. Stuff smells good enough to be used as after shave. That was the only oil allowed in the house.
    You will more often be attacked for what others think you believe than what you actually believe. Expect misrepresentation, misunderstanding, and projection as the modern normal default setting. ~ Quintus Curtius

This oil and lube obsession is a slippery slope.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    Exactly.

And that's why just about anything can be used to lubricate a gun.

Unless one is using or leaving guns in extreme temperatures (read: < -20 or > 120 degrees) most anything you have handy will work. I've never tried it, but I'd bet a petroleum/silicone based "marital aid lubricant" would work just fine...
    Uncle Pat was famous for many things, one being that he'd use Vagisil on student's ARs when they forgot to lube them and they choked. Short term it worked to get the gun running, and made the point that "what lube?" isn't nearly as important as having lube.
    I am the owner of Agile/Training and Consulting
    www.agiletactical.com

One thing I keep hearing, without any solid science being quoted, is that motor oil is "toxic", and many of the gun lubes are now billed as non-toxic, so don't use motor oil....

I've used Mobil1 for years, has always worked great.

My understanding of motor oil and things like carcinogens is that it's USED motor oil that is full of combustion crap....

I worry more about the shit like lead in the primers being off gassed than my lube.....

Am I ignorant/all fucked up/don't know shit?

Let's tag @Aray again...
    Last edited by Chuck Haggard; 05-08-2017 at 11:06 AM.
    I am the owner of Agile/Training and Consulting
    www.agiletactical.com

User Tag List