Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 442 ankle holster

Another vote for the Galco Ankle Glove.

I have one for my 442 and my Glock 42. Both used on duty.

Very comfortable and I use the calf strap religiously. Helps keep it secure during foot chases and whatnot.

Regards.

Quote Originally Posted by lwt16 View Post
    Another vote for the Galco Ankle Glove.

I have one for my 442 and my Glock 42. Both used on duty.

Very comfortable and I use the calf strap religiously. Helps keep it secure during foot chases and whatnot.

Regards.
    Yep. I don't really get the folks that think they can create universal truths from their own particular experience with a product.

I didn't use the calf strap. You do. I'd never try to tell you or anyone else whether or not to use one as it will come down to a very personal fit.

Hopefully the OP will find a "fitting" solution.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    Yep. I don't really get the folks that think they can create universal truths from their own particular experience with a product.

I didn't use the calf strap. You do. I'd never try to tell you or anyone else whether or not to use one as it will come down to a very personal fit.

Hopefully the OP will find a "fitting" solution.
    I tried both without the calf strap and for me, it just didn't feel as secure.

I did have to get some extra velcro added to the calf strap in two different places. I don't have small legs but there was not enough of the less soft kind of velcro on the calf strap as well as the part that hooks to the holster itself.

A lady from church who is an excellent seamstress added what I needed and now it is very comfortable and secure.

I had a Gould and Goodrich last year and the neoprene was starting to separate. I noticed it was getting looser and found the tears in time. I had a calf strap on it too and had the neoprene came apart, the holster would have still had an anchor point to keep from flying off during a run or fight.

Incidentally, I had to ground fight with a cuffed prisoner yesterday and the G42 was completely secure the entire event. Took about two full minutes to get him under control including knee strikes and a drive stun. Kid was 21 and I am pushing 48 and I was happy with my skillset. Had another younger officer help me and it was quite a rodeo ride. lol

Ankle rig did good.
    Last edited by lwt16; 05-10-2017 at 10:32 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by lwt16 View Post
    Incidentally, I had to ground fight with a cuffed prisoner yesterday and the G42 was completely secure the entire event. Took about two full minutes to get him under control including knee strikes and a drive stun. Kid was 21 and I am pushing 48 and I was happy with my skillset. Had another younger officer help me and it was quite a rodeo ride. lol

Ankle rig did good.
    Really glad to hear it, brother. And glad your equipment worked as intended as well. Stay safe.

I own an Alessi pattern from John Ralston/5-Shot Leather for my Kahr PM9.

It's insanely uncomfortable for walking when worn low, like when wearing anything lower than high-top hiking boots. With the high-top Oboz hiking boots I have it's fine for daily use, and it's okay (with some adjustments here and there) if I'm mostly sitting.

While there's lots of felt padding, it's still hard enough that virtually any contact with the knuckle-like bone on the inside of the ankle is painful.

I have skinny ankles that open up into wider calfs. John accommodated me and altered the holster so that it had a 5* forward cant.....when straight drop, the thumb-break dug into my calf and wasn't painful, but still uncomfortable. Having this cant does negatively impact my draw, but it's necessary for me. I requested the thumb-break for exactly the same reasons listed in previous posts.....

It's all likely a personal body thing, just like any other way of carrying a gun. With that said, if you're considering an Alessi pattern then I would order from John Ralston. The quality is superb, the CS is excellent, and you're supporting a Pistol-Forum'er.

ETA: I would say be prepared to experiment. I don't think ankle carry is a turn-key solution for everyone, unlike what some movies might make you think.
    Last edited by TGS; 05-10-2017 at 01:09 PM.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    With the high-top Oboz hiking boots I have it's fine for daily use, and it's okay (with some adjustments here and there) if I'm mostly sitting.
    I'm an Oboz man myself...but I only have a couple pair of the Bridger lows. Good stuff. (My other fave is the Ridgecrest from Ahnu but it appears they don't make it anymore since being taken over by Teva. Fortunately I stocked up on a few pair.)

All my pistols that get ankle carry get carried in Galco Ankle Gloves. I've tried lots of other rigs, nothing else works as well for me. No calf strap needed for me, but, like some other stalwarts on here, hiking boots are my daily wear shoes, so the bottom of the holster rests lightly on the top of the shoe - so no slipping down.

I've tried other rigs - and launched a 642 out of one that was all the rage (when I bought it) and all elastic - never again.

Site Supporter
    My 442 is a pocket or AIWB gun. But I've carried a G26 and G27 in ankle rigs. The G27 was on duty in duty boots with a Gould and Goodrich Boot Lock which was quite comfortable and secure but very slow on and off and only useable with higher boots.

I now regularly carry a G26 in less permissive environments in a Galco Ankle Glove all day. Positioned correctly it's all day comfortable.

Site Supporter
    I have been wearing a Kel-Tec P3AT in a Galco Ankle Lite all day today. Although this small, light gun is not much of a test for an ankle holster, it is the most comfortable ankle holster I have ever worn. Although I would opt for the molded leather of the Ankle Glove if it was available for this gun, I can recommend this holster without hesitation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Any legal information I may post is general information, and is not legal advice. Such information may or may not apply to your specific situation. I am not your attorney unless an attorney-client relationship is separately and privately established.

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    I own an Alessi pattern from John Ralston/5-Shot Leather for my Kahr PM9.

It's insanely uncomfortable for walking when worn low, like when wearing anything lower than high-top hiking boots. With the high-top Oboz hiking boots I have it's fine for daily use, and it's okay (with some adjustments here and there) if I'm mostly sitting.

While there's lots of felt padding, it's still hard enough that virtually any contact with the knuckle-like bone on the inside of the ankle is painful.

I have skinny ankles that open up into wider calfs. John accommodated me and altered the holster so that it had a 5* forward cant.....when straight drop, the thumb-break dug into my calf and wasn't painful, but still uncomfortable. Having this cant does negatively impact my draw, but it's necessary for me. I requested the thumb-break for exactly the same reasons listed in previous posts.....

It's all likely a personal body thing, just like any other way of carrying a gun. With that said, if you're considering an Alessi pattern then I would order from John Ralston. The quality is superb, the CS is excellent, and you're supporting a Pistol-Forum'er.

ETA: I would say be prepared to experiment. I don't think ankle carry is a turn-key solution for everyone, unlike what some movies might make you think.
    I'd like to amend my previous comment and say that I think I may have found the sweet spot for wearing it low. Maybe it took a little bit of use to break in, but I've been wearing it the past couple of days at semi-formal summer stuff where I didn't want to wear a jacket. No pain, pretty comfortable.

Its still not as comfortable (or familiar) as carrying on the belt, but it probably never will be as I wear it infrequently.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

User Tag List