Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 442 ankle holster

I carried a 239 in an Ankle Glove for a bunch of years. It necessitated my using it with a boot to keep it off my ankle bone (never tried the calf strap) but it worked pretty well. It was submerged on several occasions, been in a bunch of foot pursuits and scraps, etc... and I never lost it or its contents. I figure if it works as designed with a heavy pig like the Sig, it'd work fine with pretty much anything.

I also have the cheaper version, all neoprene Galco angle rig for a j-frame and while I initially questioned the integrity/durability, for a smaller, lighter gun, it worked just fine too. I'd probably spring for the Ankle Glove regardless of the pistol, if I were to do it again now, but I mentioned it b/c it's a much less expensive option.

t

Thanks , lots of good options out there.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by JR1572 View Post
    I had a Ken Null ankle holster for my old 442. I was very happy with it. Built like an Alessi, but not overbuilt like an Alessi if that makes any sense. I'll look to see if I have any pictures of it.

JR1572
    Null here for probably the last 20 + years, ordered my 2nd one a couple years ago.

Site Supporter
    The best ankle holsters I have seen are Alessi, Renegade (for revolvers), Ken Null (no personal experience), and C. Rusty Sherrick.

Some general guidelines:

You definitely want effective padding between your leg and the gun, as long as it is not thick enough to add subatantially to the thickness that must be hidden. Sheep's wool is good on something with a soft ankle band like the Renegade, but with a leather ankle band, you need felt that extends beyond the edges of the leather to protect your ankle from the leather. Sheep's wool will not do this.

Skip the calf strap. They are not only uncomfortable, but relying on one will eventually cause the holster to slide down your leg, and then begin to rotate around a narrower portion of your leg. Even if the holster does stay higher, it will print more than if it was lower on the leg. The most comfortable place for an ankle holster is at the narrowest portion of the leg. Wear pants that don't ride up too much when you sit or enter/exit vehicles.

I am sure I am in the minority here, but for my 642 I really like the Fobus ankle holster. Very comfortable, very light weight, and great gun retention without straps or buckles. Gun snaps in and pulls out. At about $45 they are hard to beat.

Site Supporter
    I have 10 + years on one of these. I would buy another.

http://www.desantisholster.com/APACHE-ANKLE-RIG

Quote Originally Posted by Moonshot View Post
    I am sure I am in the minority here, but for my 642 I really like the Fobus ankle holster. Very comfortable, very light weight, and great gun retention without straps or buckles. Gun snaps in and pulls out. At about $45 they are hard to beat.
    I used one for a G27 while in uniform.......right up until I was getting out of the car to back up another officer and the butt of the gun caught on the door sill and was pulled out of the holster. Big believer in a thumb break on an ankle holster after that.
    "It's surprising how often you start wondering just how featureless a desert some people's inner landscapes must be."
    -Maple Syrup Actual

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Whitlock View Post
    I used one for a G27 while in uniform.......right up until I was getting out of the car to back up another officer and the butt of the gun caught on the door sill and was pulled out of the holster. Big believer in a thumb break on an ankle holster after that.
    That would suck. If that had hapened to me I would probably start believing in thumb breaks too.

I've bumped the grip on my 642 in the same way before, but my gun stayed in the holster (although I did feel the need to confirm it was still secure). I also have a fobus ankle holster for my G26. I've used it occasionally (when the venue absolutley would not let me carry IWB, even tucked IWB, and no covering garment). I felt better armed with a G26 on my ankle and a G19 mag in my pocket than I would have with only a 642 on my ankle and a speed strip in my pocket, but it was a venue with a lot of sitting and walking - nothing very strenuous, and no cars.

You've given me something to think about.

This should comfortably accommodate the size of your calf and carry the 442

https://www.bugbiteholsters.com

Ankle rigs are a "buy once, cry once" endeavor. Shell out for the Galco Ankle Glove at a minimum. I carried a g27 in one for a few years, plenty of hiking, Erad, etc. with no issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Tag List