Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 442 ankle holster

442 ankle holster

I am.thinking about an ankle holster for my 442, any recommendations? By the way I have twig legs.

Sent from my E6810 using Tapatalk

Over the years, of the several ankle holsters I owned the one I preferred most was a Galco Ankle Glove. (The Renegade was also good back in the day.)

(It can be worn with or without the garter depending on how it fits you.) They do make it for the 442/642

ETA: Apparently the calf strap is an option now. When I bought mine many moons ago it was included. I don't use it, however, nor do I have big legs or ankles...so it may not matter, and it is more comfortable without, imho.
    Last edited by blues; 05-07-2017 at 10:49 AM.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

I like the Uncle Mikes neoprene with calf strap. I used one for the first 4-5 years on duty daily. I was in a lengthy foot chase once on grass where the top inch or two was soft muddy grass and under it was frozen ground. The officer backing me up in the foot pursuit slipped and fell separating his shoulder. The holster and inbalanced weight didn't cause any issues for me. The calf strap takes a little get used to but I think it is more than worth using it for security and comfort with it not moving. Neoprene is nice for the wrap with sheepskin wool pad for the ankle contact. I also used one with a suede and padded pad which was also OK. I really like the strap that is pulled through a plastic or metal loop then secured with velcro but just velcro closure on a neoprene wrap also worked fine. YMMV

Hah. Maybe I should send them my old vintage Renegade for a facelift. Nah, I think it's earned its retirement. Nice to see I'm not the only fan still around.

I've been using a Desantis ever since I wore out my Renegade.

http://www.desantisholster.com/DIE-HARD-ANKLE-RIG

Quote Originally Posted by TC215 View Post
    I've been using a Desantis ever since I wore out my Renegade.

http://www.desantisholster.com/DIE-HARD-ANKLE-RIG
    I still have a virtually brand new DeSantis ankle holster with an elastic holster and black padded suede. I must've bought it for my old Model 36 before trading it in toward the G26 back in the mid 90's is all I can think of.

I've always been nostalgic toward DeSantis over the years because we used to drive out to New Hyde Park back in the early 80's and pick up the order for our outfit directly from Gene back then.

In my experience, the best are the Alessi style with heavy felt backing with leather. Several makers build like ones today.

I've only used the Ankle Glove with Glock 27s and P9 Kahrs but I always have believed that strapping a heavy piece of metal to a piece of neoprene was asinine. In order to get it to feel like it's not bouncing around, I have to tighten it so much that it cuts off circulation.

That said, the 442 is pretty light and may work better. The AG also sits higher if that matters to you. The Alessi rides lower for a better draw. I used to use the sock over the bottom trick when I wore a 642 on my ankle. Those days are gone.
    Last edited by drummer; 05-07-2017 at 02:52 PM. Reason: Double negatives negatives

I always liked the idea of the Alessi's but they seemed overbuilt for my purposes and I've known many folks who felt that they lacked comfort and were bulky. I don't question the durability. I've been tempted many a time but I can't remember the last time I used an ankle holster now, so I can't justify the purchase.
    Last edited by blues; 05-07-2017 at 03:10 PM.

I had a Ken Null ankle holster for my old 442. I was very happy with it. Built like an Alessi, but not overbuilt like an Alessi if that makes any sense. I'll look to see if I have any pictures of it.

JR1572

User Tag List