Thread: Match use 9mm ammo

Match use 9mm ammo

Do any of you have a really accurate 9mm load you use for matches?

I have the defensive/duty ammo well covered with Gold Dots and Ranger-T, but I have gotten back in to shooting IDPS and IPSC a bit and note that on the longer ranged stuff at our range where we run the IPSC courses that I'd like to try and find a more accurate load than WWB/etc, without having to shoot up my carry ammo.

BTW, I do not reload.

Check out Atlanta Arms:

http://www.atlantaarmsandammo.com/

They make a lot of match grade ammo for competition shooters.

We are diminished
    I usually used my carry ammo (115gr +p+ or 124gr +p) at major matches. The top end JHPs from big companies tend to be very accurate.

While I've not tried any of their 9mm offerings, the ASYM Precision 147gr Practical Match has been spoken of highly by those who've used it in competition. The .45 ASYM I shot as part of the HK45 test last year was incredibly accurate, shooting sub-2" groups (5 shots at 25yd from sandbag) in a gun with almost 50,000 rounds down the barrel.

ETA: You really need to test various loads through your chosen pistol, though. I've had some guns that were laser accurate with the oddest stuff (WinClean, Blazer) and others that definitely preferred expensive fodder.

If it's a local Match, just use whatever target ammo that reliably feeds in your weapon while still maintaining PF and accuracy? Shooting is expensive enough, no need to buy Match Grade ammo for local Matches.

We often have courses of fire at our local matches that stretch back to 50 yards, or invove partial targets at various ranges out to 30-40 yards, and stuff like WWB hasn't been cutting it on the really tight shots.

Todd,
    As to the cheap stuff, one of the guys at the local match found that 230gr Blazer is running an honest 2" out of his 1911 from the 25, he was all kinds of excited about getting match accuracy for generic prices.

I'm 10-4 on the testing part, was looking for what might be working for other folks as a place to start.

My old stand-by used to be 115gr Federal JHP, which back in the day was often my carry load, and accurate as heel from my Taurus (I know, but we all start somewhere), Beretta and S&W 9mms, but that loading is actually hard to come by nowadays.

The Asym ammo isn't out yet, according to the site.

I have been thinking about trying this stuff out since I never manage to get my brass back anyway;

http://www.hornady.com/store/9mm-Lug...P-STEEL-MATCH/

I've had excellent success with Speer 124gr +P Gold Dot. Out of a Glock 19 with a fitted semi-drop-in BarSto it consistantly shoots 5 shot groups at 25 yards from an improvised rest into 1" or less. That's with a Leupold Deltapoint and rested on the bed rails of my truck. I can't imagine anything else shooting much better and the GD can be found for about $400 per case if you shop the cop shops.

Banned
    A lot depends on what gun you're using. I know, for example, that some of the team S&W shooters replace the barrels of their M&P's with Storm Lake barrels in order to improve accuracy.

You probably already checked this, but you might want to pattern your sights at ~25 yards or so to see where your POI is. I've seen a lot of people complain about their gun and/or ammo, when it turned out their gun just hit 6" high at 25 yards, and a new front sight was in order.

Otherwise, out of a stock Glock 34 I get perfectly acceptable accuracy out of WWB, Federal Champion, Remington UMC, Magtech, Blazer, et al.

Oils and Lotions SME
    I have found Speer Lawman to be more accurate out to 50 yds than the regular WWB or Blazer type stuff I use for practice, although it's not "match grade" IMHO (whatever that means).

My reloader type friends all drool and fight over the brass for some reason also.

Quote Originally Posted by David Pennington View Post
    I've had excellent success with Speer 124gr +P Gold Dot. Out of a Glock 19 with a fitted semi-drop-in BarSto it consistantly shoots 5 shot groups at 25 yards from an improvised rest into 1" or less. That's with a Leupold Deltapoint and rested on the bed rails of my truck. I can't imagine anything else shooting much better and the GD can be found for about $400 per case if you shop the cop shops.
    I hope to hear more about your Deltapoint experience and thoughts, Dave.

A big +1 for ASYM. Stan is VERY detail oriented, and he is putting out some awesome ammo.

Julie Golob is shooting it this year...can't imagine she would go into a match with it if she thought it was a handicap.

User Tag List