Thread: How N.H. Police Decide To Shoot - Or Not Shoot - When Facing Armed, Ill, Or Addicted

How N.H. Police Decide To Shoot - Or Not Shoot - When Facing Armed, Ill, Or Addicted

When police in New Hampshire use deadly force, it’s most likely on someone who is armed, intoxicated and often severely mentally ill. That’s according to an NHPR review of police shootings in the state over nearly two decades. So how do police make a decision to shoot or not shoot when they know the person they’re pointing a gun at is suicidal, psychotic or intoxicated?

http://nhpr.org/post/how-do-nh-polic...ddicted-people

Quote Originally Posted by Wendell View Post
    When police in New Hampshire use deadly force, it’s most likely on someone who is armed, intoxicated and often severely mentally ill. That’s according to an NHPR review of police shootings in the state over nearly two decades. So how do police make a decision to shoot or not shoot when they know the person they’re pointing a gun at is suicidal, psychotic or intoxicated?

http://nhpr.org/post/how-do-nh-polic...ddicted-people
    Well, what are your thoughts on this matter?

Knowing some of the officers in those stats that pulled the trigger.... in each case the individuals were armed, 1 with a length of cordwood at about 10', another with a very real looking airsoft pistol at the end of a lengthy crime spree which included multiple armed robberies and vehicle thefts, a third with a stolen rifle from the house he was presently burglarizing... 2 were severely mentally ill, 1 of which was most assuredly suicide by cop. Two dead each with a single round to the throat, 3rd was shot after an unsuccessful taser deployment (only one prong hit him), shot in the shoulder and ceased being a threat.

Quote Originally Posted by Rex G View Post
    Well, what are your thoughts on this matter?

Everybody's a critic. My thought is that that every critic should be obliged to participate, themselves, in force on force training.

I certainly hope seeing Massachusetts license plates on the perps car adds weight to the "shoot" side.
    Don’t blame me. I didn’t vote for that dumb bastard.

User Tag List