Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Colt 1911 Ejecting Brass Forward

Colt 1911 Ejecting Brass Forward

My fairly new Colt Wiley Clapp Government ejects brass forward (1:00-2:00) about 45% of the time, 3:00-4:00 45% of the time, and straight back the rest. Ammo is new Federal American Eagle 230 gun ball. 100% reliable functionally. Doesn't bother me too much, but wondering if anyone has some specific suggestions before I just start swapping mags, ammo, springs, etc. The dents on the side of the brass is on the opposite side as the small triangle ejector mark on the rear. As you can see in the pictures, I get brass marks on the top of the slide forward of the ejection port.

Site Supporter
    Try the 10-8 extractor test. It may not be as 100% reliable as you think...

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

The first place I would look is the extractor. If you remove the slide and place a piece of brass against the breechface under the extractor, will the extractor hold the brass in place if you give the slide a little shake?
    -Seconds Count. Misses Don't-

Quote Originally Posted by 45dotACP View Post
    Try the 10-8 extractor test. It may not be as 100% reliable as you think...
    Passed the 10-8 test in regards to all of the brass ejected out of the top. Failed in regards to the brass ejected from straight forward all the way to straight back.

Quote Originally Posted by SecondsCount View Post
    The first place I would look is the extractor. If you remove the slide and place a piece of brass against the breechface under the extractor, will the extractor hold the brass in place if you give the slide a little shake?
    Seems fine, brass will stay in place with tension similar to my other Colt and my Ithaca.

I put in a new Wolff 16 lb recoil spring and extra power firing pin spring. Shot a variety of ammo from fast self-defense loads to weak target loads. Tried a variety of mags. 100% function, still throws brass all over.

Your extractor may need a bit more tension. Also, make sure the ejector isn't loose as this can cause erratic ejection.
    Last edited by Trooper224; 05-06-2017 at 05:12 PM.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

Site Supporter
    It technically is a fail on the 10-8 test and could use a bit more extractor tension...if you don't have one already, I really like the Weigand extractor tension gauge.

If that's normal ish, I'd look at the ejector. For ejectors, I like extended ejectors...not super long but just a bit longer that what the OPs got in his gun. Mine wiggles, but it's pinned and doesn't move up/down

Unless it's really throwing brass in your face or starts failing to eject, I wouldn't worry too much.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by 45dotACP; 05-06-2017 at 10:28 PM.

Thanks everyone. The ejector was solid, so I just kept adding tension to the extractor until it finally started to run perfectly. No issues now. Seems like I added a lot of tension; but after I did, it easily passed all of the tests.
    Last edited by KG; 05-07-2017 at 10:04 AM.

Coulda toldya with 1 phonecall

Quote Originally Posted by Buckshot View Post
    Coulda toldya with 1 phonecall
    Thanks, just trying to let you rest after the surgery. I'll call this week.

Sounds like you got it running better now Keith.

The brass marks on the ejection port rim, directly above and next to the extractor, is where your cases were hitting and giving you the slightly forward ejection. Same contact with the ejection port is what put the small dings in the cases, and the kisses forward of the ejection port are from random bounces off the same spot. It's a pretty good sign the extractor needed tensioning. That said, I bet if your pistol had an extended ejector, the extractor tension issue would have possibly presented itself differently. Either way, it needed addressing, and glad you got it sorted.

The 10-8 test is a really good indicator of proper extractor tension/shape as long as the actual pass/fail criteria are adhered to.

User Tag List