Thread: Well, there goes the reputation of trigger happy dog killing LEOs

Well, there goes the reputation of trigger happy dog killing LEOs

Attached Images Attached Images  
    #RESIST

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    Right now he's thinking. "Where the hell is animal control!"
    Last edited by LittleLebowski; 05-06-2017 at 12:45 PM.

At least he is smart enough not to jump down with that ASP

That would be like poking a leopard with a stick.

Weird no pepper spray?

I would have shot them.
    #RESIST

Site Supporter
    I've only shot one dog. But I've rescued at least 700 pitbulls over the years that were being held captive by thugs in the projects.

Not having seen the preceding moments, I can only speculate. I might well have had to shoot one or both, but it would have to have been before climbing to safety, as I must operate under the same "imminent threat" standard for discharging a firearm, whether the opponent is human, canine, or other creature. (I work in a mega-city, where there is no "safe" backstop, except the body of an opponent.) I would not swat at them with a baton, if they are truly climbing onto the vehicle, as that would be a credible, imminent threat.

Being perched on the hood of a patrol car is certainly an unenviable position. I would really try to avoid it!

Informally, if there is time, my colleagues sometimes try to get someone to respond to a dangerous-dog scene with a shotgun, as pellets are seen as less dangerous to the down-range public than handgun and rifle bullets. This is not written into policy. I carry a shotgun at work, and prefer it because it does more than just make holes at close range.

Collectively, we shoot quite a few dogs, mostly ones with the appearance of what would be more-or-less defined as "pit bull."

I have generally found that dogs understand my body language and verbal commands well enough to cease and desist. The closest I came to shooting a dog, was a loose Rottweiler, trying to claim about half a city block as its territory, with my AR15, when I feared I could not get oblivious pedestrians and cyclists to keep their distance. I was able to get the attention of someone inside the house, with my PA system, before anything became imminent.
    Last edited by Rex G; 05-07-2017 at 02:55 PM.

User Tag List