Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Pocket Carry Holster Questions

Pocket Carry Holster Questions

I'm homing in on a pocket 380 - most likely a Glock G42 or a Ruger LCP II - but the pistol choice isn't my question, it's the holster.

First, is kydex too hot, sweaty, for pocket carry?

Second, what are some recommendations for right front pocket leather for these two pistols, and perhaps kydex (if it isn't too hot), please?

I've pocket-carried a Seecamp LWS for years in an Aker leather holster so I know what I'm getting into, thanks. (The current Aker has changed a bit and doesn't work for me.) Also, I understand the Ruger comes with a pocket holster, so I'm looking to improve on that, if possible.
    Last edited by Jaywalker; 05-06-2017 at 10:43 AM.

aholster makes a fine, thin lightweight kydex holster for pocket carry. I haven't noticed it being too hot or sweaty. In fact it is less so than one of my other pocket holsters which is made of synthetic material.

I learned of the holster from a handful of other members and have been very pleased with it.

Last edited by blues; 05-06-2017 at 10:49 AM.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

I've used three kydex pocket holsters from popular makers and none of them released the gun with the reliability that suited me. The A-Holster brand that blues mentioned is on my radar to test drive.

Textile holsters like the Desantis Nemesis work ok but I've had the gun release from the holster and fall out when I'm in a reclined sitting position. I've used a leather holster or two that worked reasonably well but they too didn't release well or didn't allow for a firing grip while the gun was still seated.

Currently, I'm using a Galco horsehide that's as close as I've come thus far in doing what I want a pocket holster to do with respects to holding the gun, releasing the gun, covering the trigger, allowing for a firing grip and staying put in the pocket.

The path of least resistance will seldom get you where you need to be.

Site Supporter
    The Aholster is the nicest pocket holster I have used, and I have used several in a wide variety of price ranges. I use one to carry a Glock 26 about 5 days/week. It releases the gun very reliably. It also does a very good job of minimizing bulk and printing in your pocket. Just be sure to sand or gently file (I used a nail file) the hook adjacent to the rear sight so that it is more rounded and less likely to punch a hole in your pocket.

Another good choice is a DeSantis SuperFly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Any legal information I may post is general information, and is not legal advice. Such information may or may not apply to your specific situation. I am not your attorney unless an attorney-client relationship is separately and privately established.

Site Supporter
    Name:  image.jpg
Views: 1298
Size:  33.3 KB

That Galco Horsehide pocket works well. With a jframe, it requires a large pocket. I think it would work in smaller pockets with a smaller gun: might have to get one and try it out.

Site Supporter
    The aholster has had the most consistent release of any that I have tried including Nemesis, UM sack holster, don hume. I haven't tried many leather holsters b/c I feel they are unnecessarily bulky. I have an aholster for a G26, G43 and one on the way for a G42.
    Adam

The one I find myself using most often is from Sticky holster. It works in casual shorts, athletic shorts, and jeans.

I also have left and right kydex holsters from Detroit holster. It works great on pants and shorts. It has a hook in case you're unable to get a solid push on the thumb ledge.

ETA: why a G42 over a G43? The increase in size is barely noticeable while the increase in performance is significant.
    Last edited by El Cid; 05-06-2017 at 03:45 PM.

Used horsehide when a carried a j frame, kydex from Detroit holsters for the 42, and have a peters custom for the 42, that I may remold for the 43, I have yet to try.

Like others have said, I use the Aholster for my Shield. I wrap a length of hook and loop strap around it for more retention but overall it works very well for me.

Supporting Business Dark Star Gear's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaywalker View Post
    I'm homing in on a pocket 380 - most likely a Glock G42 or a Ruger LCP II - but the pistol choice isn't my question, it's the holster.

First, is kydex too hot, sweaty, for pocket carry?

Second, what are some recommendations for right front pocket leather for these two pistols, and perhaps kydex (if it isn't too hot), please?

I've pocket-carried a Seecamp LWS for years in an Aker leather holster so I know what I'm getting into, thanks. (The current Aker has changed a bit and doesn't work for me.) Also, I understand the Ruger comes with a pocket holster, so I'm looking to improve on that, if possible.
    IMHO kydex/boltaron help to an extent but can be a little weird too depending on pants. No issues with heat, it takes more than you can bear to cause issues.

An MDTS/RCS Moduloader Pocket Shield are pretty cool with the right holster attachment that allow the shield to disrupt the shape of the gun.

One thing on the radar now though, and we're gonna look into becoming a dealer, is the new Blue Force Gear pocket holster. They're dirt cheap, solid materials, and what seem to be just enough material to aid in carriage.
    Dark Star Gear
    Best method to contact us is email: info@darkstargear.com

User Tag List