Thread: My Experience Running the AR Pistol

My Experience Running the AR Pistol

Recently I assembled an AR "pistol" using a BCM pistol lower (purchased new as such) and a BCM 11.5" ELW KMR-A upper. I swapped out the standard BCM buffer with a MVB MPK and the stock trigger with a Geissele G2S, installed a set of DD irons on the upper and a EFAB on the muzzle. Finally, I installed a Vickers 2-point sling, which I have found to be key to effectively shooting this odd duck of a firearm.

My goal was to create a lightweight and compact (as possible) 5.56 weapon that is legally classified as a pistol and can be carried accordingly. Here is one carry method I envision;

FWIW - and to avoid the brace/shouldering debate - I shoot this thing strictly using a cheek weld with the sling adjusted to position the short buffer on my cheek while holding tension on the sling as illustrated below;

For me, the sling is what makes it work. The "reverse grip" on the forearm is extremely stable with elbow-on-knee as shown and in combination with the EFAB, greatly stabilizes muzzle movement.

Running the AR Pistol

My goal is to fully leverage it's capability as a PDW using the most likely unsupported field positions. I sighted it in at 50 yards and determined that it's capable at least 2.5 MOA with my go-to carry load, the Speer Gold Dot 75 in .223.

Using an eight inch round AR500 target set at 100 yards, I've been using a variety of positions to determine how effective I can be with it. From a sitting position I found I could ring the target with near 100% certainty, but sitting isn't the quickest position for me to get in and out of.

The most effective position so far - for both accuracy and speed of deployment - has been kneeling. With some practice I'm able to hit the target at least 9 out of 10 times from a wholly unsupported kneel. If I have something to lean against (at the range it's a support column for the covered line), it's at least as good as sitting.

My next goal is to set up at 150 to 200 yards and try shooting from prone. In dry firing at home I can get steady and comfortable so I'm hopeful I will have success with that.

It can't be carried in a holster like a true pistol, but slung on the shoulder it conceals under a winter parka, raincoat, etc. At just under 26" OAL and under 5.5 pounds, it carries easily yet offers capability that is much closer to a rifle than a pistol, especially when fired as a rifle using the sling, all while avoiding the NFA quagmire.

Now at about 500 rounds, it has thus far proven to be 100% reliable. The more I experiment with technique and evaluate my capabilities with it, the more I appreciate the niche it can fill. For anyone interested I will keep this thread updated...

Any reason you went 556 over 300?
    VDMSR.com
    Chief Developer for V Development Group
    Everything I post I do so as a private individual who is not representing any company or organization.

Quote Originally Posted by voodoo_man View Post
    Any reason you went 556 over 300?
    Ammo: compatibility with my other ARs and the selection of proven effective terminal performance rounds (like the Gold Dot).

I can see a 300 BO upper and a can in my future as funds permit.

Quote Originally Posted by NH Shooter View Post
    Ammo: compatibility with my other ARs and the selection of proven effective terminal performance rounds (like the Gold Dot).

I can see a 300 BO upper and a can in my future as funds permit.
    Barnes 110 tsx is a pretty good round...just wanted to see the reasoning behind it.
    VDMSR.com
    Everything I post I do so as a private individual who is not representing any company or organization.

Quote Originally Posted by voodoo_man View Post
    Barnes 110 tsx is a pretty good round...just wanted to see the reasoning behind it.
    Mostly $$ - I have plenty of my preferred 5.56, so no ammo investment has been required. On top of that, going 300 BO without a suppressor (more $$) is missing IMO the major advantage of that cartridge.

A bit of back story - when we moved ten years ago, we had to "lighten the load" as much as possible and regrettably, most of my reloading gear didn't make the trip with us. I had been an avid reloader for a long time, with a Dillon progressive set up for .38 wadcutters and a RCBS single stage for rifle. I had everything needed to load quality rifle rounds, but I was a dumb ass - I should have made room for it.

I can certainly envision a nine inch 300 BO upper, a suppressor and new gear to roll my own sub-sonics as a boat load of fun.

Quote Originally Posted by NH Shooter View Post
    Mostly $$ - I have plenty of my preferred 5.56, so no ammo investment has been required. On top of that, going 300 BO without a suppressor (more $$) is missing IMO the major advantage of that cartridge.

A bit of back story - when we moved ten years ago, we had to "lighten the load" as much as possible and regrettably, most of my reloading gear didn't make the trip with us. I had been an avid reloader for a long time, with a Dillon progressive set up for .38 wadcutters and a RCBS single stage for rifle. I had everything needed to load quality rifle rounds, but I was a dumb ass - I should have made room for it.

I can certainly envision a nine inch 300 BO upper, a suppressor and new gear to roll my own sub-sonics as a boat load of fun.
    Fair enough. 556 is a capable round, obviously I went with 300 as I wanted 30cal for a pdw setup. Just wanted to see your thought process behind the choice.
    VDMSR.com

User Tag List