Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone ever messed up their hand practicing reloads?

Anyone ever messed up their hand practicing reloads?

So I was doing a few hundred reps of burkett reloads for awhile; then one night on my M&P compact I was doing some and I slammed one home a bit too hard. Had a really sore wrist for a few weeks, it's been about 6 weeks now and it's still sore. For awhile a pushup or any kind of pressure on the lower hand was pretty unbearable.

The odd thing was the pinky on my left hand (the injured one) started getting really cold and would stay a good bit colder than the rest of my body/hands. The injury primarily occurred in the lower right palm of my left hand. The M&P compact mags with the thumb extension aren't flat on the bottom, the pinky extension makes an empty ledge around the base plate so the pressure from a reload is more focused where that ledge hits your hand.

My palm still has splotchy red blotches on it, I think I might've crushed a nerve, which I read can mess up the way your blood vessels regulate blood flow to the area.

Just wondering if anyone else had anything similar happen and/or ways to avoid it happening again.

My (bad) advice: go see a doc.

...but, back to the point... Yes: I've jammed steel feed lips into my palm, pinky, etc. Got a finger caught in the magwell (a few times). Tore my strong hand index fingernail in half (rifle reloads - mashed the button too hard and bent the nail in the "button ridges").

It really does sound like you may have done some nerve damage. I'd see a doctor soon. Also you may want to cut back on the number of reps you do at any one time. Any form of exercise can be over done.

I think medical care is the obvious next step.

If you live in NJ or eastern PA I'd give you a good chiropractor reference, they can do some pretty amazing stuff if you find a quality guy. There's videos all over youtube of them treating finger/hand issues revolving around nerve damage and bloodflow problems.

I'm pretty wary of chiropractors, but I used this one when someone tried to PIT me and it ended up being more of a full-on-ram, ended up tweaking my neck. I knew of him from my previous job where lots of people in EMS, fire and LE went to him, and I ended up trusting him too.
    Last edited by TGS; 05-06-2017 at 09:32 AM.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Hammertime

Anyone ever messed up their hand practicing reloads?

Last edited by Doc_Glock; 05-06-2017 at 09:43 AM.

I have a close family member than is an M.D. and they basically just said to refrain from doing things that caused the injury and give it time. They said nerves regrow but they do so very slowly, so it could take 6 months or a year before it's comletely healed. I haven't been shooting or doing dryfire since the injury.

Ouch. I was ready to talk about locking part of my palm into a G19 after switching from a full size. Seems kind of minor now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

First, I wish you swift and complete healing. I will need to search for "burkett reloads," and avoid doing that.

For your healing period, and into the future, I reckon longer-length magazines, for the full-sized pistols, might be an idea, for your spare mags. Insert firmly but gently, with no emphahsis on speed, until the locking "click" is detected, then pull to ensure full seating, AR15-style. (This will probably not win competitions.)

Edited to add: Matt Burkett's website has gone blank, perhaps due to his legal troubles. I found enough other sites to determine he is known as a competition shooter, so I reckon a "burkett reload" is a competition-oriented reload.
    Last edited by Rex G; 05-07-2017 at 03:57 PM.

Use longer mags or a base plate. Download a round. Stop hammering it - I do a lot of dry fire/live fire/matches/training and always have to be careful about overtrainign and injury.

Train hard - but not so hard you are injuring yourself and impeding your ability to train!
    Are you now, or have you ever been a member of the Doodie Project?

Quote Originally Posted by Rex G View Post
    Edited to add: Matt Burkett's website has gone blank, perhaps due to his legal troubles. I found enough other sites to determine he is known as a competition shooter, so I reckon a "burkett reload" is a competition-oriented reload.
    It is a training technique.

http://http://forums.brianenos.com/i...load-practice/

IMO, I'd do Burkett Reload drills to get a thousand repetition with a straight trigger finger.
    Burkett reload:

Start with the gun extended as if firing your last shot with 2-hand grip. No mag in gun.

Depress mag catch while drawing/aligning a mag with the weak hand. Do not fully seat mag - insert 1/2" only.

Return mag to belt pouch

Repeat

I love Burkett reloads. Five times more repetitions of the
    critical "dump mag fast, feed mag fast with proper alignment"
    portion of the reload than when you do the whole thing... and
    have to stop and pick things up, reholster, etc.

I suggested it because these are the parts of the mag change you
    need to do thousands of times with a straight trigger finger.

"To achieve any significant technological breakthrough, much Derp must be endured." -Rich@CCC
    "Your shotgun is running a bit frenetic, you should add some lavender to your lubricant, that should calm it down." -Aray, Oils and Lotions SME

User Tag List