Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Good high quality hammer for gunsmithing?

Good high quality hammer for gunsmithing?

I hate buying shitty tools that fall apart so I'd like to buy something higher quality I can use for swapping out sights and the like. I was thinking one of those hammers with rubber, nylon, brass, etc replaceable heads but I don't know what brand I should get.
    Last edited by mrozowjj; 05-05-2017 at 01:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mrozowjj View Post
    I hate buying shitty tools that fall apart so I'd like to buy something higher quality I can use for swapping out sights and the like. I was thinking one of those hammers with rubber, nylon, brass, etc replaceable heads but I don't know what brand I should get.
    Brownells is your friend:

http://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-to...mers/index.htm

There's a way you can buy from Brownells through an affiliate link, and P-F gets a cut, but I'm not sure how to do it. Since I switched totally to Glocks 10 years ago, I haven't needed any gunsmithing stuff except my Glock punch and sight pusher, but when I wrenched on 1911's and CZ's and such, I was pretty happy with the tools I got from Brownells.
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

Quote Originally Posted by Lester Polfus View Post
    Brownells is your friend:

http://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-to...mers/index.htm

There's a way you can buy from Brownells through an affiliate link, and P-F gets a cut, but I'm not sure how to do it. Since I switched totally to Glocks 10 years ago, I haven't needed any gunsmithing stuff except my Glock punch and sight pusher, but when I wrenched on 1911's and CZ's and such, I was pretty happy with the tools I got from Brownells.
    There's a link to Brownells at the top of the page. Use that and P-F should be taken care of if you place an order.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Read: Harrison Bergeron

I did not expect a reply this quickly.

Brownells has several. Any specific one better than the other?

I also used to mainly shoot Glocks and all I ever needed was the punch. This is mainly for putting sights on guns though. I have a sight pusher for Glocks but I bought a vise so I can do it on all the other guns and ironically I'm going to be putting sights on a Glock 42 which doesn't work with pusher so that's my most immediate need for a hammer at the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by mrozowjj View Post
    I did not expect a reply this quickly.

Brownells has several. Any specific one better than the other?

I also used to mainly shoot Glocks and all I ever needed was the punch. This is mainly for putting sights on guns though. I have a sight pusher for Glocks but I bought a vise so I can do it on all the other guns and ironically I'm going to be putting sights on a Glock 42 which doesn't work with pusher so that's my most immediate need for a hammer at the moment.
    If I were spending your money, I'd buy two:

Start with the 6 oz nylon brass hammer.

That would be the first hammer I would pick up. If you miss, or the hammer bounces, you won't mar anything with the nylon, and won't mar things very much with the brass.

I'd also pick up either the 8 oz or 12 ounce ball peen hammer.

I'd most likely go with the 8 oz. Yes, it's only 2 oz over the 6oz nylon/brass, but it's also a 1/3 more, if you look at it that way. You can really screw things up with a ball peen hammer, you aren't careful.

One good adage is this: if what you're hitting isn't budging with the hammer you are using, switch to a heavier hammer instead of hitting it harder with the lighter hammer. With slow controlled taps, you're less likely to screw things up. When you start winding up and swinging for the cheap seats, that's when you hit something you didn't mean to, or break things.
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

Quote Originally Posted by Lester Polfus View Post
    If I were spending your money, I'd buy two:

Start with the 6 oz nylon brass hammer.

That would be the first hammer I would pick up. If you miss, or the hammer bounces, you won't mar anything with the nylon, and won't mar things very much with the brass.

I'd also pick up either the 8 oz or 12 ounce ball peen hammer.

I'd most likely go with the 8 oz. Yes, it's only 2 oz over the 6oz nylon/brass, but it's also a 1/3 more, if you look at it that way. You can really screw things up with a ball peen hammer, you aren't careful.

One good adage is this: if what you're hitting isn't budging with the hammer you are using, switch to a heavier hammer instead of hitting it harder with the lighter hammer. With slow controlled taps, you're less likely to screw things up. When you start winding up and swinging for the cheap seats, that's when you hit something you didn't mean to, or break things.
    This^
    Think for yourself. Question authority.

Site Supporter
    If your purpose is installing sights, your best bet is to buy a good sight pusher like the MGW one also available from Brownells. It is expensive but works well and will eventually pay for itself. You will be able to be more precise with your sight positioning in less time with a sight pusher than with a hammer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Any legal information I may post is general information, and is not legal advice. Such information may or may not apply to your specific situation. I am not your attorney unless an attorney-client relationship is separately and privately established.

Quote Originally Posted by BillSWPA View Post
    If your purpose is installing sights, your best bet is to buy a good sight pusher like the MGW one also available from Brownells. It is expensive but works well and will eventually pay for itself. You will be able to be more precise with your sight positioning in less time with a sight pusher than with a hammer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

THIS !

I think I sort of breezed past the part where this was mostly for sights.

Yes, the best tool for sights is a sight pusher.

Sorry if you already spent money....

I haven't bought anything yet. Guess I'll stick with my current method of vise and punches.

User Tag List