Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Welcome to Pistol-forum, such a friendly place. Almost like Austin.

Welcome to Pistol-forum, such a friendly place. Almost like Austin.

The other day I saw a post about the city I live in, Austin Texas.

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....-Craphole-City

It was written by an intelligent person who has lived there, knows the city and has strong opinions about it. I tried my best to offer my dissent, documenting my reasoning but most importantly striving to do so in a polite fashion and in good spirit.

When I came back to the thread, I saw it disappear in flames, soon to be shut down. I stared at it in disbelief, after all nobody else but OP and me seemed to live or have lived there, and even then, what could the big deal possibly be?

As I wondered, I looked at the counter for PFestivus at the top of the page, looming as it has been for weeks now (it's at 132 days now).

The message I read is: Soon. Soon you can vituperate insult berate everybody you feel like for whatever reason, be it what they wrote on a gun or a city or whatever.

I don't get a fun comedic feeling when I look at that counter, not with the tone that way too many discussions assume and maintain. I get a sense of a place where moderation is not the law of the land, be it self or mandated. Latest example I read:

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....l-innocent-man

I don't remember things being so tense in the past, and certainly NOT when Todd Green was managing this forum. Is this the way forward? Is this the fun now? Why not maintain that counter 24/7, increase the frequency of the gladiatorial games, or even open a PFestivus sub-forum where one can go when he feels like hurling shit like a baboon?

Instead, I maintain that the forum is becoming too contentious and oftentimes toxic, that this noxious PFevent is not beneficial, and that this forum would serve Todd's memory a lot better by being civil, insult free and respectful of other people at all times. More heavily moderated also if needs be.

So my wish is that welcome to the Forum will mean that this will return to be a place where students and teachers of the pistol converse in a polite way, particularly when they disagree on this or that, and where festivities will be celebrated sans hurling.

_______

Full disclosure, because I don't stand on a high horse: I have participated in last year's PFestivus for the first and last time and I regret having done it. Oh, the fun of being the fearless warrior hurling stones at others hoping than none would come my way. You wronged me, and here is righteous me in all his might. Sad, actually. My sincere apologies to those I have offended. In particular to VoodooMan and GardoneVT, the two I remember. I don't agree with basically anything that VM writes, it's uncanny really. I don't dig the tone in almost anything GVT says, but I don't know you and I have no right to insult you personally protected by anonymity.
    Last edited by LostDuke; 05-04-2017 at 05:26 PM.

PF has always had some pretty intense discussions, at least as long as I can remember. It seems to run in cycles and eventually tapers out until the next round. One of the best threads I ever read on here was a debate between DaggaBoy and Mr_White a few years ago.

I've basically got a rule: "it's just the internet, if you're blood pressure is going up, it may be time to log off for a while"

Sometimes the best escape from gun forum shenanigans is to go shooting.

Todd was at the heart of many contentious arguments here and elsewhere. He was well known for it.
    #RESIST

Good arguments can be made for a pressure release valve. Shooting, with a few notable exceptions, is mostly a male dominated activity. Guys tend to square off over guy shit, and stupid shit. It's kinda what we do when left to do what we do. Personally, I don't see anything wrong with that. Diamonds are not created in a sea of cotton candy. Good information often filters and rises to the top in a similar fashion.

I'm far too new here to remember the old days, but this forum is like an island of big-eyed baby seals compared to the animosity I've witnessed in other places. Not justifying animosity here, but we're sometimes Bonobos and fuck our way out of problems, but most of the time, we're closer to the Chimps.
    You will more often be attacked for what others think you believe than what you actually believe. Expect misrepresentation, misunderstanding, and projection as the modern normal default setting. ~ Quintus Curtius

Site Supporter
    I thought PF was more tame than ever, which is actually kind of disappointing. The fact that even the biggest goofs who have been here were more coherent than many of the mainstream members of other forums speaks highly of PF. It's not that we are better people or more elite, just that the atmosphere here promotes a different type of interaction.

For a while I was worried festivus would be beyond dull, but I think there might be a decent amount of good posts in it now!

Quote Originally Posted by TheNewbie View Post
    I thought PF was more tame than ever, which is actually kind of disappointing. The fact that even the biggest goofs who have been here were more coherent than many of the mainstream members of other forums speaks highly of PF. It's not that we are better people or more elite, just that the atmosphere here promotes a different type of interaction.

For a while I was worried festivus would be beyond dull, but I think there might be a decent amount of good posts in it now!

Ever see that SouthPark where Cartman teams up with Wendy for a debate? Remember the part where they talked about how the debates were always VoodooMan Cartman versus Everybody?
    #RESIST

So you're butthurt and you think people online are mean. Yup, Austin. I didn't have anything to bitch about this PFestivus, until now.

Quote Originally Posted by StraitR View Post
    So you're butthurt and you think people online are mean. Yup, Austin. I didn't have anything to bitch about this PFestivus, until now.
    I think butthurt is when somebody says something bad about you, that was not the case at all. It was OP who took issue with something that was said and asked for the thread to be closed.

My butt was safe and sound. Since you mentioned it, I highly recommend this. Best $25 you will spend to never be butthurt again, seriously.

Enjoy the hurling, I won't see you there though.

I enjoy being the punching bag on here, you know the guy everyone can be like "and vdm...yeah he's an asshole!!"

That's fine and all, yet not a single person on here has once said it to my face. But it's the internet after all, right? Easy to let words go without thinking much.

Just for kicks I might sit pfest out because allowing the lot of mature adults to devolve into a thread tantamount to purge sequel is not productive in any way.

People need to think more and talk less.
    VDMSR.com
    Chief Developer for V Development Group
    Everything I post I do so as a private individual who is not representing any company or organization.

Quote Originally Posted by voodoo_man View Post
    I enjoy being the punching bag on here, you know the guy everyone can be like "and vdm...yeah he's an asshole!!"

That's fine and all, yet not a single person on here has once said it to my face. But it's the internet after all, right? Easy to let words go without thinking much.

Just for kicks I might sit pfest out because allowing the lot of mature adults to devolve into a thread tantamount to purge sequel is not productive in any way.

People need to think more and talk less.
    Sending you a text.
    #RESIST

User Tag List