Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: New S&W M69 2.75" L Frame .44 Mag

This is a fantastic thread - glad these are working out so well for you.

The single most accurate handgun I've ever owned was a 5" 629 Classic full lug - that I idiotically traded off for a Mountain Gun in 45 Colt that wouldn't hold minute of barn door by comparison. I'm with GJM and 03RN on this - I love the look of that 69, but wouldn't want to go under an N Frame for anything starting with "4" and ending with "Magnum." Roll one out in .45 Colt, and I'd be sorely tempted...

Double tap...

Quote Originally Posted by psalms144.1 View Post
    This is a fantastic thread - glad these are working out so well for you.

The single most accurate handgun I've ever owned was a 5" 629 Classic full lug - that I idiotically traded off for a Mountain Gun in 45 Colt that wouldn't hold minute of barn door by comparison. I'm with GJM and 03RN on this - I love the look of that 69, but wouldn't want to go under an N Frame for anything starting with "4" and ending with "Magnum." Roll one out in .45 Colt, and I'd be sorely tempted...
    I have the 4.25” version of the 69, and while it’s a handful with magnums it’s by no means punishing.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

My 44 Mag Journey

Started in the early 70s with a Super Blackhawk. It and several others were stolen. Ins money funded a 8 3/8” M29 which was sent to Larry Kelly – bbl cut to 5”, action job, ported and hard chromed. Had the Kelly M29 until the mid 90s when I traded it for a 629 Mtn Gun (still miss the Kelly M29). The Mtn Gun was traded for 329 which (with two other 329s) was my all day every day carry gun for the better part of a decade. When the first M69s appeared in 2014, the 329 was retired and the 4 ¼” M69 became my primary. The 2.75” M69 was introduced in 2017 and has since become my favorite.

Have had (still have some) various M29s, M329s, M629s, Super Blackhawks, Redhawks, Super Redhawks and 50th Anniv Flattop. At this stage in my life, the short M69 has become my goto .44 Mag.

I’ve had 4 N Frame Mtn Guns – two 45 Colts, and two .44 Mags (one had an action job by Bob Munden )– the M69s are still here and the Mtn Guns aren’t. To me, felt recoil of M69s (both 4 ¼” and 2.75” ) is less snappy vs the Mtn Gun. The L Frame just works better for me vs. the N Frame.

I’m in my mid 70s now and don’t get out in the out back as often as I once did. When I do, the 2.75” M69 drops comfortably in the back pocket of my Carharts and rides there unobtrusively.

All of these choices involve trade offs and evolve over time – who knows what next year will bring.

Thank goodness we all have different preferences – it has allowed for the development of some great firearms.

Paul

I think there is a solution that solves the shootability and capacity considerations -- carry a pair of these model 69 revolvers!
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

I have a pair and a spare of M69s

But this is my "NY Reload" - Kahr 40 S&W - my always pocket gun (where legal!)

I like the added safety feature of the long double action pull, and no safety to mess with. And for some reason (probably due to all the DA revolver shooting I do), I shoot these little Kahrs pretty good.

Have some Underwood lehigh penetrators and am working on some 200gr WFN reloads.

Paul
    Last edited by paul105; 01-09-2022 at 03:25 PM.

My model 69

That dang Paul 105 got his first model 69. Ran into one of his threads about it. Was lucky to find one and drag it home. Started shooting it with the x frame grips. Removed a bunch of excess on those. Made a chest holster and carried it ever since. My last years working were by myself in remote north west Wyoming. Quite a nice companion to have. My load is a 250 Keith (#503),19 grains of wc820 and a federal 155 in Starline brass. These chronograph at almost 1200. I’ll add one grain for the hollow point version.
    Picket pins, rockchucks, porcupine, rattlers and lots other stuff. Throats measure almost 430. Barrel slugs at 429. I added a fiber optic Dawson sight to it. Accurate handy little fivegun.
    Thank you Paul 105 for your advice

Quote Originally Posted by paul105 View Post
    @paul105

Thread drift... because it’s the p-f way.

How about some more info on that pocket holster?

I checked out their website and see it’s recommended with their own pants... any commentary on how it works in a jacket pocket or just regular pants? And for only $25, I may just order one to try myself for 42/43/365 NPE carry.

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Bill Wilson called me raving about his when they first came out. My concern as a bear defensive primary is the sow and two cubs scenario. Would definitely consider one as a second gun, where I didn't have a long gun. Start with five heavy rounds and NY reload to the service pistol with Lehigh.
    When I "worst case scenario" it, I could see an advantage for this compactish big bore wheelgun if sleeping outside in bad bear country for the entangled fight vs an autoloader.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Quote Originally Posted by jandbj View Post
    @paul105

Thread drift... because it’s the p-f way.

How about some more info on that pocket holster?

I checked out their website and see it’s recommended with their own pants... any commentary on how it works in a jacket pocket or just regular pants? And for only $25, I may just order one to try myself for 42/43/365 NPE carry.

Thanks!

I don't use their pants -- it's in the front pocket of my Carharts where it works just fine.

Paul

User Tag List