Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: New S&W M69 2.75" L Frame .44 Mag

I’ve modified several grips. I’ve used a knife, small belt sander (knife sharpener), the sanding drum on a Dremel tool, a course block sander and a combination thereof.

Careful with the knife – easy to make deep cuts that won’t sand out without getting into white plastic shell. The belt sander and Dremel make a real mess, throwing black debris particles everywhere. The block sander is slow, but a bit more precise and less messy. I’m not particularly handy and tend to be impatient and heavy handed so I go to fast and end up with not so pretty outcomes. At the bottom of this post are some closer looks at the grip mods and consequeces of impatience.

The grips are comprised of a hard molded plastic shell (white in color) to which the soft rubber (black) is bonded. You can remove as much material as you want but will eventually run into the white plastic. Doesn’t hurt anything except aesthetics. There is a fair amount of rubber material in the finger groves and on the bottom of the butt.

If aesthetics are important to you, JUST GO SLOW and use the belt sander/sanding block course to fine.

Paul
    Last edited by paul105; 02-01-2019 at 10:05 AM.

Site Supporter
    paul, when I saw this post, I couldn't resist for two reasons. First, your name - my youngest son is also Paul. But when I started looking at your pictures and read what you're up to, well....I gotta agree with Drang. Ever since one of my buddies sold his .44, there's been this itch that won't go away. I keep telling myself that I don't NEED a .44, but, as all know, "need" has very little to do with it. Please keep the updates coming. Thanks for the post and especially the pictures. Just beautiful.
    Last edited by 11B10; 02-01-2019 at 08:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by paul105 View Post
    I’ve modified several grips. I’ve used a knife, small belt sander (knife sharpener), the sanding drum on a Dremel tool, a course block sander and a combination thereof.

Careful with the knife – easy to make deep cuts that won’t sand out without getting into white plastic shell. The belt sander and Dremel make a real mess, throwing black debris particles everywhere. The block sander is slow, but a bit more precise and less messy. I’m not particularly handy and tend to be impatient and heavy handed so I go to fast and end up with not so pretty outcomes. At the bottom of this post are some closer looks at the grip mods and consequeces of impatience.

The grips are comprised of a hard molded plastic shell (white in color) to which the soft rubber (black) is bonded. You can remove as much material as you want but will eventually run into the white plastic. Doesn’t hurt anything except aesthetics. There is a fair amount of rubber material in the finger groves and on the bottom of the butt.

If aesthetics are important to you, JUST GO SLOW and use the belt sander/sanding block course to fine.

Paul
    That was outstanding. Thanks!

Those grips provide a huge difference in felt recoil I assume? How are your follow-up shots if you shoot 44 special?

Man... great review/report. Thank you.

I’ve been eyeing the 66 as my next handgun, but that 69 in 44 seems like it might be “more fun.”

Quote Originally Posted by Speederlander View Post
    That was outstanding. Thanks!

Those grips provide a huge difference in felt recoil I assume? How are your follow-up shots if you shoot 44 special?

For me, the X Frame 500 grips are noticeably more comfortable under heavy recoil vs the factories. Everyone's anatomy and the way the grip the gun is different, so what works for me, may or may not work for someone else.

I don't shoot 44 specials but I assume follow up shots would be a bit quicker (more surface area to hang on to.

Paul
    Last edited by paul105; 02-03-2019 at 09:53 AM.

I was having trouble with my 4 inch 629 until I went with the Hogue X grip. Now my groups are consistent and I can shoot a box of ammo or two when I go to the range.

Another Update

Wow, it's been 2 yrs since my last post. The more I shoot these "little" guns the more impressed I am. Quit keeping round count, just getting lazy in my old age. I try
    to get a couple of guns out 2 or 3 times a week with the short M69 always one of them. Loads, for the most part are 17.5gr of A2400 under 240gr or 265gr cast bullets, deep seated and crimped over the front drive band in .44 Magnum cases. Velocity on my Labradar runs between 1,100 and 1,170 fps. Also run a couple of 300gr Missouri Bullet Hammers SEATED AND CRIMPED NORMALLY IN THE CRIMP GROVE. Never chronoed the Hammer, but recoil is similar to the 240/265s, so I'm guessing it's in the 975 fps +- range from the 2.75" bbl. Was out the other day shooting poppers at 25 to 100 yds (picture below).

The popper at the base of the dished out berm is 100 yds - the close up ones are 20 or 25 yds (can't remember).

Did I say how much I really like this gun?

Paul

Bill Wilson called me raving about his when they first came out. My concern as a bear defensive primary is the sow and two cubs scenario. Would definitely consider one as a second gun, where I didn't have a long gun. Start with five heavy rounds and NY reload to the service pistol with Lehigh.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Bill Wilson called me raving about his when they first came out. My concern as a bear defensive primary is the sow and two cubs scenario. Would definitely consider one as a second gun, where I didn't have a long gun. Start with five heavy rounds and NY reload to the service pistol with Lehigh.
    I don't really know why but I'm perfectly content with 6rds. 5? Nope, can't do it.

Quote Originally Posted by paul105 View Post
    Wow, it's been 2 yrs since my last post. The more I shoot these "little" guns the more impressed I am. Quit keeping round count, just getting lazy in my old age. I try
    to get a couple of guns out 2 or 3 times a week with the short M69 always one of them. Loads, for the most part are 17.5gr of A2400 under 240gr or 265gr cast bullets, deep seated and crimped over the front drive band in .44 Magnum cases. Velocity on my Labradar runs between 1,100 and 1,170 fps. Also run a couple of 300gr Missouri Bullet Hammers SEATED AND CRIMPED NORMALLY IN THE CRIMP GROVE. Never chronoed the Hammer, but recoil is similar to the 240/265s, so I'm guessing it's in the 975 fps +- range from the 2.75" bbl. Was out the other day shooting poppers at 25 to 100 yds (picture below).

The popper at the base of the dished out berm is 100 yds - the close up ones are 20 or 25 yds (can't remember).

Did I say how much I really like this gun?

Paul
    Nice, I wish they'd increase mountain gun production though.

User Tag List