Thread: Pancake Holster for S&W 66-8

Pancake Holster for S&W 66-8

I picked up my brand-spanking-new S&W 66 2-3/4" barrel revolver from the FFL today!!!!

I want to pick up a good pancake for this revolver. I'm torn between the Lobo Gun Leather Enhanced Pancake and the Simply Rugged Sourdough Pancake.

I'm sure either one will be a quality leather holster. I'd like to get one that holds the revolver close to my body and moderately high for best concealment.

Is anyone able to compare these two holsters? I'm also open to other options.

I'll also get a AIWB holster but that one's easy and already decided. I'll be one of Tony's offerings at JM Custom Kydex. Good stuff!

Thanks

Site Supporter
    go with the lobo. Hides much better. I bought both the Simply rugged and a Lobo for my n-frame model 27 and the lobo hides well under a t-shirt. I recently picked up and enhanced pancake for my model 19 2-3/4 and it hides even better. The simply rugged would be fine for a field holster, but if you want an all around the lobo is much better.

You started a thread about the new 2 3/4" 66 and didn't include pics of said wheel gun?

Name:  IMG_0076.jpg
Views: 807
Size:  24.6 KB
    Last edited by Lon; 05-04-2017 at 12:24 AM.
    Formerly known as xpd54.
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not reflect the opinions or policies of my employer.
    www.gunsnobbery.wordpress.com

Site Supporter
    I have had very good service from the horsehide (Not cowhide!) Kramer Leather belt scabbards. They are a pancake style holster that rides very tight to the body and will last for years.

http://www.kramerleather.com/product...&categoryID=24
    Last edited by Jason M; 05-04-2017 at 04:27 AM.

Far Upper Midwest. Lower Midwest When I Absolutely Have To
    On a bit less expensive note, look into the DeSantis Thumbreak Scabbard. I had purchased one for my Dan Wesson 15-2 a while back. (Holsters for a 2.5" DW aren't exactly lined up on the shelves). I recently pressed it into service for my 3" GP100 and am quite happy. It rides high and VERY tight. I'm medium build and could "almost" get away with just covering it with a heavy weight tshirt. If I toss on a covershirt it is just as good if not better than most OWBs I have for autos. If they make on for Python/L frame/GP Im sure they make one for a K frame. I was looking for some new leather formthe new GP, but decided to just roll with this. Let me snap a pic to post.

Waited to long to edit I guess....here ya go. Cheap phone pic but...

images uploadcertificity.com

Sorry for the delay in getting back. Life got in the way this past week.

Thanks everyone for your feedback. I've ordered a Lobo Enhanced Pancake. I'm really looking forward to getting it.

A photo -- that would be nice, wouldn't it. Here's a quick camera photo of my new toy. Sorry about the quality.
    Name:  20170504_083551_resized.jpg
Views: 756
Size:  76.9 KB

And finally a mini range report. This gun is GREAT. Love it. Trigger was good (almost identical to my old 686-4 out of the box), but I'll be smoothing it up after it's properly broken in. Nice tight lock-up. Trigger measured 10 pounds 8 ounces in DA and 5 pounds in SA.

I wasn't too concerned with accuracy on this first trip and I only shot a mix of junk 38 special and 357 magnum. Really dirty ammo! Sights were visibly off-of-center from the factory. I'll fix that on the next trip.

The 66 handled hot 357 loads with ease. Recoil although noticeable was very manageable.

I tend to tinker with my guns. This one will only need two things:
    1. A Wilson Combat spring kit + stoning of the internals. I won't do this until it's broken in.
    2. Eventually, better sights. (not sure which ones yet).

The only slight disappointment with this revolver were the sights. Plain black rear blade (I prefer white outline). The sights are also much shorter than on my 686 making aiming somewhat slower. And the orange insert is darker than the insert on my 686. I've got "old eyes" so need all the help I can get. I'll probably eventually swap out for some fiber optics.
    Last edited by dwhite; 05-07-2017 at 09:43 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by entropy View Post
    On a bit less expensive note, look into the DeSantis Thumbreak Scabbard. I had purchased one for my Dan Wesson 15-2 a while back. (Holsters for a 2.5" DW aren't exactly lined up on the shelves). I recently pressed it into service for my 3" GP100 and am quite happy. It rides high and VERY tight. I'm medium build and could "almost" get away with just covering it with a heavy weight tshirt. If I toss on a covershirt it is just as good if not better than most OWBs I have for autos. If they make on for Python/L frame/GP Im sure they make one for a K frame. I was looking for some new leather formthe new GP, but decided to just roll with this. Let me snap a pic to post.
    I have similar favorable comments for the DeSantis Thumbbreak Scabbard. It makes carrying a 4" GP100 possible. I may pick up a Speed Scabbard at some point.

In full disclosure, I'm usually reluctant to order from custom holstermakers. The "place an order, wait six months, and maybe you'll get it," service model is not my cup of tea. Obviously, not all of them follow that and I'm sure some are outstanding.

When you start looking for speedloader carriers, I am very happy with the DeSantis Second Six carriers. They hide very well and are as fast as a snap-top speedloader carrier can be.

Thanks for sharing the pics -- really nice-looking revolver.

Sharp Smith! Make sure you post a pic of the leather when it comes!

Edster: Thanks for the "second six" recommendation.

User Tag List