Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread: 10mm 200gr Hardcast Load

Just as an update: GJM remembered having feeding issues with the Underwood 200gr hardcast. For me it had always seemed very reliable, but I also didn't remember intentionally trying to make the gun malfunction.

Just took my last few boxes and tried to make my G22 gen 4 jam with that ammo. I loaded only 5 in the mag to reduce spring pressure and shot one handed, as limp wristed as I could without the gun actually flying out of my hand. While limp wristing to the best of my ability, I held the gun sideways to the left, to the right...it ran like a top, no malfunctions or hiccups and it locked the slide back every time. I ran out of ammo before I could test my Gen 3 G22.

This stuff runs at 950fps through the factory barrel and 1010 fps through a KKM 5.5" barrel. A bit shy of GLB's 10mm numbers, but for me seems like a good compromise. About the same velocity as the old Skeeter Skelton load. I've got pretty average sized hands and I find the G22 is substantially more shootable in rapid fire than the G20; also easier to shoot one handed.

So...that's where I landed. I've still got my G20 (and various 44 mags and 45 colts and 454's), but for now sticking with the G22 and this 200gr hardcast.

Appreciate everyone's knowledge and experience.

I realize I am resurrecting an old post, but I found this thread incredibly informative and useful.

I recently entered into the 10mm world with a S&W M&P 10mm with a 4.6” barrel. I’ve been working up loads, and this thread popped up in my Google searches.

I was looking for information on loading heavy hardcast in 10mm, but what really jumped out at me was the failures documented by the author are almost exactly what sone M&P10mm owners are reporting when shooting Undereood or Buffalo Bore 200 and 220 hardcast - namely, failures yo feed and mags ones dropping free.

I’ve only been shooting 180 gr JHP handloads, and even with almost max charges of Blue Dot and I have no failures over a couple hundred rounds.

I replaced my factory recoil assembly with a 22# Wolff recoil spring almost immediately, because it seemed these lightweight pistols were under-sprung from the factory.

I think the users shooting stock recoil Springs, stock magazine Springs with heavy hardcast loads are experiencing problems due to slide velocity and frame flex.

Another way of saying it, is owners of polymer 10mm pistols are having problems with heavy field loads in these pistols, because the manufacturers did not design and test these pistols with heavy loads. Tinkerers have attempted to improve function with heavier recoil springs, stronger mag springs, and other tweaks, but these are one off solutions.

A great thing about my experience with the HK USP FS pistols, is the guns run Super non hard cast ammo in stock configuration.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Bump for a great thread.
    "Backstabbers and window-lickers rise to the top of human organizations like oxygen-rich turds in a champagne fountain. I suspect it's been that way since at least the Bronze Age." _ Me. 2016

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Another way of saying it, is owners of polymer 10mm pistols are having problems with heavy field loads in these pistols, because the manufacturers did not design and test these pistols with heavy loads. Tinkerers have attempted to improve function with heavier recoil springs, stronger mag springs, and other tweaks, but these are one off solutions.

A great thing about my experience with the HK USP FS pistols, is the guns run Super non hard cast ammo in stock configuration.
    Are you calling me a tinkerer? Those are fighting words where I come from .

The Glock 20 mods are minimal: Recoil spring, guide rod, mag spring, and two steel shims on the mag body. Is that tinkering? Maybe.
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie
    Shabbat shalom, motherf***ers! --Mordechai Jefferson Carver

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    Are you calling me a tinkerer? Those are fighting words where I come from .

The Glock 20 mods are minimal: Recoil spring, guide rod, mag spring, and two steel shims on the mag body. Is that tinkering? Maybe.
    How about enthusiast instead of tinkerer!
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    How about enthusiast instead of tinkerer!
    We can hang out.

10mm 200gr Hardcast Load

Because heavy 10mm loads typically use heavy (200,220gr) hard cast wide meplat bullets, it's understandable that we would blame the bullets for failure to feed malfunctions. I sure did, until I reproduced the problems with very heavy loads using XTP 180gr (1300 fps). I had FTFs and mags dropping free, and was _this_ close to selling my G20.4 until I stumbled across 460 Rowland and their spring and mag mods.

Quote Originally Posted by Tannhauser View Post
    I realize I am resurrecting an old post, but I found this thread incredibly informative and useful.

I recently entered into the 10mm world with a S&W M&P 10mm with a 4.6” barrel. I’ve been working up loads, and this thread popped up in my Google searches.

I was looking for information on loading heavy hardcast in 10mm, but what really jumped out at me was the failures documented by the author are almost exactly what sone M&P10mm owners are reporting when shooting Undereood or Buffalo Bore 200 and 220 hardcast - namely, failures yo feed and mags ones dropping free.

I’ve only been shooting 180 gr JHP handloads, and even with almost max charges of Blue Dot and I have no failures over a couple hundred rounds.

I replaced my factory recoil assembly with a 22# Wolff recoil spring almost immediately, because it seemed these lightweight pistols were under-sprung from the factory.

I think the users shooting stock recoil Springs, stock magazine Springs with heavy hardcast loads are experiencing problems due to slide velocity and frame flex.
    Last edited by Clusterfrack; 09-26-2022 at 11:13 AM.

….and was _this_ close to selling my G20.4 until I stumbled across 460 Rowland and their spring and mag mods.
    ….and was _this_ close to picking up an unwanted G20 on a great deal. I was circling that thing like a vulture as @Clusterfrack’s frustration mounted. I’m delighted that my friend got it sorted though, and mine has run like a top right out of the box on the sporty end of the load spectrum with those mods performed.

Because heavy 10mm loads typically use heavy (200,220gr) hard cast wide meplat bullets, it's understandable that we would blame the bullets for failure to feed malfunctions. I sure did, until I reproduced the problems with very heavy loads using XTP 180gr (1300 fps). I had FTFs and mags dropping free, and was _this_ close to selling my G20.4 until I stumbled across 460 Rowland and their spring and mag mods.
    Interesting.

When I purchased my M&P 10mm, I already had Wolff recoil springs in heavier than factory weights on the way. I've settled on a 22 lb spring that gives me reliable function with full power 180 gr handloads and 200 gr Underwood hardcast.

My 180 XTPs are running 1250 fps out of a 4.6" barrel, and that's with the Hornady book max load of Blue Dot powder. Not quite as hot as your 1300 fps loads. Eventually I want to work up a handload with a large meplat 200 gr hardcast bullet. But components are difficult to find and expensive, so I settled for an XTP handload and half a dozen boxes of Underwood hardcast.

User Tag List