Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: 10mm 200gr Hardcast Load

Quote Originally Posted by cheby View Post
    Well I am not sure if 50rds is enough. I can shoot that ammo as much as 100 rds and still have a malfunction after that. The other stuff you shot always worked in my g20 even without the 24# recoil spring.
    I agree. I've got some loading to do.

I haven't decided whether Lehigh or hard cast will be my bear load.

I'm encouraged though. Thanks to @mtboz, we have an explanation for why the heavy lead loads cause FTFs, and a solution that appears to work: heavy mag springs. The magazine falling out issue was a big surprise to me, and got me to the "fuck this gun" point. Fortunately, the 460 Rowland folks know about that too, and have a solution: shims.
    Last edited by Clusterfrack; 04-06-2019 at 08:30 AM.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    I agree. I've got some loading to do.

I haven't decided whether Lehigh or hard cast will be my bear load.

I'm encouraged though. Thanks to @mtboz, we have an explanation for why the heavy lead loads cause FTFs, and a solution that appears to work: heavy mag springs. The magazine falling out issue was a big surprise to me, and got me to the "fuck this gun" point. Fortunately, the 460 Rowland folks know about that too, and have a solution: shims.
    You could probably just buy a few boxes of Underwood Lehigh penetrators and be good to go with OEM parts. If you really want to launch wide meplat hard cast, a Smith .44 is a great choice.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

10mm 200gr Hardcast Load

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    You could probably just buy a few boxes of Underwood Lehigh penetrators and be good to go with OEM parts. If you really want to launch wide meplat hard cast, a Smith .44 is a great choice.
    A few thoughts:

I have some Underwood Lehigh XP 140gr (1400 fps), and they work well--with a 24# recoil spring. I do think this is a very good option.

But for me, the holy grail is a fast, heavy, wide meplat hard-cast that works reliably in a Glock. I don't have anywhere near the up-close experience with bears that you do, so this is probably a somewhat irrational preference based on a few terrifying encounters.

I'm trying for a 10mm grizzly defense load that will work for a head shot, and hopefully do some vital or shoulder joint damage if I get a body shot. The 200 gr Beartooth at 1200 fps looks good so far, with the fairly conservative mods I've made to my gun. I'll be testing further to make sure it's good to go.

If it's head-shot only, I'd rather carry a 9mm with XP.

I'll pass on the Smith. The complex clockwork of S&W revolvers seems like a poor choice for a gun that's going to get full of dust or sandy, wet and muddy from riding quads or crawling around shooting rifles. And, I have a distrust of everything made by S&W, and just wouldn't feel good facing down a big boar grizzly with one in my hands.

I've got a lot of rounds through my Ruger Super Blackhawk Bisley 3.75", and was able to shoot some respectable Gabe White drills with it. I can shoot it pretty well SHO too. I carried it on my last Alaska trip and felt just fine. But I'll be even happier carrying my G20!
    Last edited by Clusterfrack; 04-07-2019 at 10:27 AM.

10mm 200gr Hardcast Load

50 more test rounds of 200 hard cast using the 460R mag mods. No problems. Good groups. Not much fun to shoot.

I also tested very heavy loads using 180 Hornady HAP, a JHP with similar profile to XTP. This load is 10.0gr of 800X at 1300fps. Very stout! Interestingly, I had FTF malfunctions with a regular magazine, just like with the hard cast bullets. When I used the mag with the heavy mag spring and shims, I shot 54 rounds without issue.

This suggests that the FTF issues are mag spring related, not bullet profile related. Paging @GJM and @cheby.
    Last edited by Clusterfrack; 04-10-2019 at 05:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post

This suggests that the FTF issues are mag spring related, not bullet profile related. Paging @GJM and @cheby.
    I think this is correct. The Double Tap 200gr hardcast always worked in my G20 in stock configuration but it is only 1050 fps. Everything else was not reliable above 1200 fps (180-200gr bullet). I am guessing the slide moves so fast with the hot load that the next round is not ready with the stock magazine spring... That makes me think that the weaker recoil spring would actually make it more reliable???

@cheby, I was thinking that as well. I do think the 24# recoil spring reduces felt recoil and muzzle flip a bit, and is probably nicer to the gun. With the frame flex issue causing mag drops (need 460R shims to prevent), I plan to continue to use the 24# recoil spring. It works well even for very mild loads.

I just ordered 60 rounds of Federal HST 200gr at 1130fps, for a standard defense load that should do well against animals if necessary. That hopefully shouldn't require a special mag spring or shims.

I have a HPG Kit bag for backcountry carry. For other use, a JMCK AIWB 2.5 is on order.

Now, I'll load up some more of my hard cast Bearkiller loads and call this project complete.
    Last edited by Clusterfrack; 04-10-2019 at 08:27 PM.

While it is possible you have found the cure, my experience over many 20/29 pistols and many other platforms, is that wide meat hard cast loads are not reliable in service pistols. Sometimes I have learned that in a few magazines, and sometimes that realization only came after believing my hard cast load was reliable and carrying it a few months.

Meplat not meat!

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    ... wide meat...

User Tag List