Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: 10mm 200gr Hardcast Load

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    Actually a guy I know used to have a G40 until recently. He was shooting it with a .40 conversion barrel and it blew up. Complete destruction of the gun. Fortunately all that happened to the guy was a need for change of undies.
    Um... wow!

Very cool! Do you crimp these (and if so, taper, roll, lee factory?).

Clusterfrack's 10mm Bearkiller load

Use at your own risk; work up load carefully in each gun!

Test gun: Gen4 Glock 20, 24# ISMI recoil spring, Glockmeister guiderod

Bullet: 200 gr Beartooth lead hard cast gas check
    COL: 1.240”
    Primer: CCI #300 (non-magnum)
    Brass: Starline (virgin brass)
    Charge: 9.0gr IMR 800-X (metered in RCBS Chargemaster)
    Chrono: average 1209 fps, sd = 8, n = 16

Notes:
    Recoil was heavy but controllable. Smoke was surprisingly low, and I didn't notice a big muzzle flash. All brass had mild bulging, dinged rim, ejection dent, flattened primers, and heavier striker channel marks.

This is a followup to some initial load research I did to try to work up a 10mm load for grizzly defense in Montana and Alaska. I had tested this load at COL: 1.260” in a G4 Glock 20 (w/24# recoil spring) and had multiple failure to feed malfunctions when mags were loaded to full capacity. The problem appears to be caused by the wide, square nose of the bullet rubbing against the inside of the magazine. Reducing COL to 1.240" solved this problem, and I've had no further malfunctions.

See the 9mm Outdoor thread for some interesting and useful discussion about handgun use against bears.

Quote Originally Posted by mtboz View Post
    Very cool! Do you crimp these (and if so, taper, roll, lee factory?).
    Factory crimp. However, I abandoned hard cast because of failure to feed. I’m now using Lehigh XP with great results.
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie
    Shabbat shalom, motherf***ers! --Mordechai Jefferson Carver

Has anyone tried these wide meplats with extra power mag springs? 460 rowland highly recommends extra power / heavy mag springs for proper cycling in glocks. The math seems right for the heavier bullets - faster slide due to recoil and extra power recoil springs and heavier bullets pushing on the mag spring, the mag may not be pushing the bullets up fast enough to get ahead of the slide...but if someone has tried this with these wide meplat 10mm and it still failed to feed on weak hand shots, I won't head this way.

https://www.460rowland.com/product/460-magazine-spring/

Ok, here's the report from today's reliability testing. There's good and bad news, and George was spot on about problems when grip is less this ideal.

Weak hand, loose grip yielded good results until the mag was down to 9 rounds. Then this happened twice in a row:

A solid two handed grip returned the gun to reliable function.

So, I'm admitting defeat. Looks like I'll carry the .44 SBH in Alaska. I'm kinda excited about training some more with that gun.

Thanks for all the help, dudes.

I saw you're using Lehigh bullets now but I just wanted to mention rimrock bullets. Their 200 grain bullet has a little smaller metplate and is used by Buffalo Bore.

https://rimrockbullets.com/xcart/-40...n-per-700.html

Plus they're a little cheaper at $70/700. Free shipping over $100 and they'll fit 3 boxes in a flat rate box.

Quote Originally Posted by mtboz View Post
    Has anyone tried these wide meplats with extra power mag springs? 460 rowland highly recommends extra power / heavy mag springs for proper cycling in glocks. The math seems right for the heavier bullets - faster slide due to recoil and extra power recoil springs and heavier bullets pushing on the mag spring, the mag may not be pushing the bullets up fast enough to get ahead of the slide...but if someone has tried this with these wide meplat 10mm and it still failed to feed on weak hand shots, I won't head this way.

https://www.460rowland.com/product/460-magazine-spring/
    That's very interesting, and looks like it's worth a try.

Here's a link to the post about my Lehigh XP load:
    https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....l=1#post656227

I'll take a play with some of those Lehigh loads! Just loaded some of their 115's for the 9mm.

Would like to pick your brain a bit more on these 200 gr HC's as i have a batch from MBW in the works - before you swapped your spring out, did you have reliability issues at all load power levels (eg, maybe at 8grains @ 1100fps) or just at max load power? Also, did you try the weak hand / one hand reliability test with the OEM spring? I'm wondering if an OEM recoil spring with OEM mag springs (eg, forward speed of slide is mfr tuned to the upward speed of the mag spring) on a slightly lighter load would work.

@mtboz, good questions. I had FTFs with anything above .40 cal power factor, even with regular FMJ bullets. Especially WHO. The OEM RSA is very undersprung.

I didn’t try lighter hardcast loads.

The .460 mag spring is on its way, and when I get a chance I’ll test it with my hardcast bearkiller loads.

Update on this project:
    I installed the Rowland heavy mag spring.

I was only able to get 14 rounds into a mag, and that would load only with the slide open. This probably means this is a 13+1 setup.
    I fired about 100 rounds of 10mm ranging from .40 wimpy loads to full power 10mm with no issues. Wow, this gun is really shootable! I'm always impressed by how well the large frame Glocks work.

Then I loaded up some of my 200gr hardcast bearkillers. These fed well, even though the bullet was notched as it hit the ramp. That is an improvement, and is encouraging. But, after 16 rounds, the magazine started dropping free on every shot. Inspection revealed that the mag release had gouged the ledge on the magazine, preventing solid retention of the mag. Surprisingly to me this is a known issue in G20s firing .460 Rowland, and apparently can be fixed using Rowland mag shims, which are now on order.

More to come...
    Last edited by Clusterfrack; 03-29-2019 at 03:43 PM.

@Clusterfrack - assume you are still using the 800x loads - how is your accuracy? I'm using an almost identical bullet from Montana Bulletworks (https://www.montanabulletworks.com/p...-200gr-wfn-gc/), and getting pretty ugly groups with 8.3gr Longshot @1232fps with 1.230 OAL. These loads are also hitting 3-4 inches lower at 15 yards than range ammo. Tests in both OEM and Storm Lake custom barrel show that I'm also having the feeding issues you described in your G20, so it appears that the only solution to this is to amp up the mag spring *or* go with a bullet that has more of a taper (https://www.montanabulletworks.com/p...-200gr-lfn-gc/). HSM 200 grain "Bear Load" factory ammo feeds without issue, and it looks like HSM and Buffalo Bore use a tapered bullet similar to the lfn-gc. Have you tried your wide flat bearloads in a different 10mm platform by chance?

Anyone else getting marginal accuracy with longshot?

User Tag List