Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 10mm 200gr Hardcast Load

Quote Originally Posted by Lester Polfus View Post
    Awesome. I suspect you are correct about the seating depth. This page talks about blunt profile bullets in reference to the .38 Super, but the same principals apply.

That's a good link. It has some good descriptions and images. I think the difference in OAL VS bullet profile doesnt compute for some people. You have to factor in bullet nose shape, diameter just ahead of the case mouth, and the throat of individual barrels to get a broader picture of how to work with the load.

Now with sealed primers.

"You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie
    Shabbat shalom, motherf***ers! --Mordechai Jefferson Carver

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    In that Garrett loads their Defender bear load for the S&W 329 to 1,020 fps (out of a four inch barrel), I would gladly accept 1,100 FPS out of the 10mm hard cast load, especially if that was closer to the design envelope for that pistol, and was more reliable.
    8.0 gr of 800-X gives 1100 fps with this bullet. 8.0 definitely isn't as stout recoil-wise as the 9.0gr loads, but is still "full 10mm" heavy. I'm not convinced so far that there's a reliability issue associated with charge weight. After I swapped out the very under-sprung OEM guiderod for the 24# spring, I've not had any cycling-related issues with any of my heavy loads. I'll report back after I do the test you suggested. Might have to try it tomorrow while I'm out practicing with rifle teammate (getting ready for the Scout Sniper Challenge in Kettle Falls WA).

In the the testing I did over the past 15 years, I could not correlate after market barrels, guide rods, or recoil springs with reliability. It did seem like bullet type (FMJ vs hard cast), bullet shape (meplat) and overall power factor did influence reliability, with wide meplat hard cast at high power factors least reliable, and loads like factory Hornady XTP 180/200 most reliable.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    In the the testing I did over the past 15 years, I could not correlate after market barrels, guide rods, or recoil springs with reliability. It did seem like bullet type (FMJ vs hard cast), bullet shape (meplat) and overall power factor did influence reliability, with wide meplat hard cast at high power factors least reliable, and loads like factory Hornady XTP 180/200 most reliable.
    I think the bullet shape and seating depth is the factor that's most important with these loads. The recoil spring won't help with the magazine spring push a big column of heavy bullets that are rubbing against the sides of the mag body. In fact, having the slide go forward with more velocity probably makes it worse.

It seems a properly set up 1911 in 10mm can gobble them right up, but it's a single column magazine, and you can also do quite a bit to retard slide velocity with firing pin stops and mainsprings, but as you've pointed out in other threads they have some issues for this purpose.
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    8.0 gr of 800-X gives 1100 fps with this bullet. 8.0 definitely isn't as stout recoil-wise as the 9.0gr loads, but is still "full 10mm" heavy. I'm not convinced so far that there's a reliability issue associated with charge weight. After I swapped out the very under-sprung OEM guiderod for the 24# spring, I've not had any cycling-related issues with any of my heavy loads. I'll report back after I do the test you suggested. Might have to try it tomorrow while I'm out practicing with rifle teammate (getting ready for the Scout Sniper Challenge in Kettle Falls WA).
    To George's point about the Garrett defender load; seems the history is long that a stout hard cast flat meplat slug of whatever caliber doing around 1000 fps penetrates like crazy on game. I think there is a lot of room, a significant window of velocity to work around to dial in a reliable load.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Ok, here's the report from today's reliability testing. There's good and bad news, and George was spot on about problems when grip is less this ideal.

Weak hand, loose grip yielded good results until the mag was down to 9 rounds. Then this happened twice in a row:

A solid two handed grip returned the gun to reliable function.

So, I'm admitting defeat. Looks like I'll carry the .44 SBH in Alaska. I'm kinda excited about training some more with that gun.

Thanks for all the help, dudes.

Ok, here's the report from today's reliability testing. There's good and bad news, and George was spot on about problems when grip is less this ideal.

Weak hand, loose grip yielded good results until the mag was down to 9 rounds. Then this happened twice in a row:

So, I'm admitting defeat. Looks like I'll carry the .44 SBH in Alaska. I'm kinda excited about training some more with that gun.

Anyone in your AO with a G40? Mine shoots much nicer than other G20's I've shot over the years. I don't hand load but I'll try the one handed shooting with the loads I'm using.

I applaud you for going to the trouble to develop the loads, but especially to properly vett the finished product. Most guys are half a mag and GTG. I have lost track how many times I have tried and been disappointed with a G20/29. The big Glock will be interesting to test. Not too late to grab a USP.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by El Cid View Post
    Anyone in your AO with a G40? Mine shoots much nicer than other G20's I've shot over the years. I don't hand load but I'll try the one handed shooting with the loads I'm using.
    Actually a guy I know used to have a G40 until recently. He was shooting it with a .40 conversion barrel and it blew up. Complete destruction of the gun. Fortunately all that happened to the guy was a need for change of undies.

User Tag List