Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 10mm 200gr Hardcast Load

10mm 200gr Hardcast Load

Clusterfrack's 10mm Bearkiller load

Use at your own risk; work up load carefully in each gun!

Test gun: Gen4 Glock 20, 24# ISMI recoil spring, Glockmeister guiderod

Bullet: 200 gr Beartooth lead hard cast gas check
    COL: 1.240”
    Primer: CCI #300 (non-magnum)
    Brass: Starline (virgin brass)
    Charge: 9.0gr IMR 800-X (metered in RCBS Chargemaster)
    Chrono: average 1209 fps, sd = 8, n = 16

Notes:
    Recoil was heavy but controllable. Smoke was surprisingly low, and I didn't notice a big muzzle flash. All brass had mild bulging, dinged rim, ejection dent, flattened primers, and heavier striker channel marks.

This is a followup to some initial load research I did to try to work up a 10mm load for grizzly defense in Montana and Alaska. I had tested this load at COL: 1.260” in a G4 Glock 20 (w/24# recoil spring) and had multiple failure to feed malfunctions when mags were loaded to full capacity. The problem appears to be caused by the wide, square nose of the bullet rubbing against the inside of the magazine. Reducing COL to 1.240" solved this problem, and I've had no further malfunctions.

See the 9mm Outdoor thread for some interesting and useful discussion about handgun use against bears.

Last edited by Clusterfrack; 05-03-2017 at 05:39 PM.
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie
    Shabbat shalom, motherf***ers! --Mordechai Jefferson Carver

Nice!

Did you do reliability testing, shooting one hand with a compromised grip, like you might do if Gabe, I mean a bear, was chewing on one arm?
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Nice!

Did you do reliability testing, shooting one hand with a compromised grip, like you might do if Gabe, I mean a bear, was chewing on one arm?
    Good idea. Not yet. I plan to do that after the JMCK AIWB 2.5 for the G20 shows up. I also need to pick a time when Gabe is free.
    Last edited by Clusterfrack; 05-03-2017 at 05:42 PM.

So I had this heavy FMJ penetrator load, from Double Tap, that I thought I had vetted in my Glock 29. I was successful hunting, harvested this massive moose, and managed to injure my right wrist paddling umpteen loads to the float plane. Got back to the cabin, was running to the float base on the four wheeler, and came upon this spruce hen. I decided to harvest it for dinner, made a careful head shot at 15 yards, holding the Glock as well as I could. Got the bird, and a big, fat stoppage. Realized all my testing was with two hands, and a firm grip. Now I do a fair amount of testing one hand, holding the pistol lightly.

Awesome. I suspect you are correct about the seating depth. This page talks about blunt profile bullets in reference to the .38 Super, but the same principals apply.

What diameter are your bullet sized?
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

Awesome work! If it all pans out, it'd be great if the boutique factory loaders would pay attention to the overall length lessons.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Quote Originally Posted by Lester Polfus View Post
    Awesome. I suspect you are correct about the seating depth. This page talks about blunt profile bullets in reference to the .38 Super, but the same principals apply.

What diameter are your bullet sized?
    Box says 0.401", confirmed by mic.

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    Box says 0.401", confirmed by mic.
    Cool. You just ran the experiment that I was planning on running this fall after hunting season and such. I've often thought that the problem with the wide meplat 10mm loads was seating depth.

I've still got it on my things to do. I'm going to experiment with some powders other than 800x, like Longshot and Blue Dot. I'm also not necessarily wedded to the idea of hitting 1200FPS. Around 1100 would make me happy.

Thanks for the solid info.
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

In that Garrett loads their Defender bear load for the S&W 329 to 1,020 fps (out of a four inch barrel), I would gladly accept 1,100 FPS out of the 10mm hard cast load, especially if that was closer to the design envelope for that pistol, and was more reliable.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    In that Garrett loads their Defender bear load for the S&W 329 to 1,020 fps (out of a four inch barrel), I would gladly accept 1,100 FPS out of the 10mm hard cast load, especially if that was closer to the design envelope for that pistol, and was more reliable.
    Exactly. Once you start measuring penetration in feet, I'm less concerned about wringing every last FPS out of the load, for controlability and reliability concerns. I can tell you there is a noticeable difference in shootability between a 200@ 1100 and a 200 @1200 out of a Glock 20.

The thing is, what sells ammo is the velocity on the box flap. If somebody tried market such a load, I'm not sure it would sell when folks compared it to the alleged 1300 FPS velocity of the Double Tap load, particularly since many folks won't shoot enough to figure out it chokes the gun.

User Tag List