Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Timer Recommendations Please

Quote Originally Posted by Surf View Post
    Not really sure what costs would be. I do believe it could easily do more than just beep and keep times right now. They are stupid simple electronics, so I don't think it should be overly cost prohibitive to come up with a more robust product for a reasonable price. But then again the markup on these things must be huge as they sit right now. Basic board, basic readout, basic electronics overall.

Granted, I use mine 4-5 days per week, probably more than most people use a timer, but one thing I know is that when it looks like it might even look like rain, I need to put it away. When the LED display starts having issues, just the humidity will kill the display. Doing the hair dryer trick only works so long before the electronics from the strip to the display go bad. I wouldn't think silicon and weatherizing the connections and case should triple the price, but then again maybe a "ruggedized" or "weatherized" version would do exactly that and the markup would be even greater?

I do know that it is one of my most widely used training tools and I would pay a reasonable amount more for a version with more features and more weather / shock resistance.
    Sounds like you are on to a good product you should develop.
    VDMSR.com
    Chief Developer for V Development Group
    Everything I post I do so as a private individual who is not representing any company or organization.

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    My CED 7000 has been a disappointment. The buttons are difficult to use, the display is hard to read, and the belt attachment options are cheesy. 0.6s is the lower limit on time.

I like my PACT Club Timer a lot. It is simple and easy to use, and has better precision. The only downside is it can only store one string of fire.
    My center button doesn't work on mine 😣

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by DMF13 View Post
    Supposedly there are some Garmin GPS smartwatches that have a shot timer app, that also uses the accelerometer in the watch. So if the looks of the Shotmaxx speaker bother you that much, there might be an alternative.
    Here's a app for Garmin Smartwatches, and the watches it works on:Shot Timer | Garmin Connect IQ.
    I didn't know that, my search for a smart watch just got (more) complicated...
    Recovering Gun Store Commando. My Blog: The Clue Meter
    “It doesn’t matter what the problem is, the solution is always for us to give the government more money and power, while we eat less meat.”
    Glenn Reynolds

They are all disappointing by post-millennium technology standards. They also break an inordinate amount.

Buy from Brownells for the forever guarantee. You will probably want it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by TAZ View Post
    I have a CED7000 that the wife got me years ago. No issues so far, aside from "loosing" the charger for a few weeks.
    Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    My CED 7000 has been a disappointment. The buttons are difficult to use, the display is hard to read, and the belt attachment options are cheesy. 0.6s is the lower limit on time.
    CED7000 here too. I have no complaints about the display. I do agree with Clusterfrack that the buttons are a bit small, changing settings with gloves on would be a real chore. Fortunately, that's not really an issue, because the fucking thing dies every single time when the weather is cold. Doesn't matter when the battery was charged, it just can not handle even moderately cold weather. So that would be my biggest gripe with that timer.

The beep is pretty weak in the CED, too, especially through doubled up hearing protection.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Pocket Pro II, although I carry two in my range bag, because they not infrequently break. They also eat batteries.

However, the PP II is the least bad choice I am aware of. It is amazing how all our technology advances have seemed to skip the shot timer sector.
    Quote Originally Posted by Surf View Post
    I have had 3 Pocket Pro II's. LED screens can go bad and they don't play well with moisture and humidity, they are electronic after all. I do have to agree that the shot timer is severely lacking in today's technology arena. The market is wide open for a rock solid, bullet proof, weather proof timer that is feature rich. If you make it, they will come.
    So much this. We have all of the internet in our pockets with smartphones, and yet timers are straight out of the '80's. I've had a Pocket Pro, which I returned in favor of the PP2 for the backlit display, then got the CED7000. All have worked well for me so far. I have definitely heard of more reliability issues with the CED7000. The idea of buying from Brownell's for the guarantee is not a bad one...
    Jeff Martin
    Instagram

Y'all have given me an idea for my senior build project when I get to that point in school. I'll see about looking into building a more modern shot timer....

Check back with me in a couple of years.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony1911 View Post
    dies every single time when the weather is cold
    You can use lithium AAAs with the external battery pack, about $12.

ETA: Also solves problem of not charging before you hit the range. Which is 99% of the time for me.
    Last edited by schüler; 05-19-2017 at 08:39 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by OnionsAndDragons View Post
    They are all disappointing by post-millennium technology standards. They also break an inordinate amount.

Buy from Brownells for the forever guarantee. You will probably want it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    This man speaks much wisdom.

They're all terrible. Most reliable is probably the PP1 and that's not saying much. CED has cheap ass parts and the PP2 has good functionality but it's less resilient to the basic temperatures and weather you find in the US. Shotmaxx has inferior parts (I've had two die extremely quickly). I got my PP2 through Brownell's and have already sent it back once, but with the guarantee it's cheaper than buying a new one every time.
    Last edited by Peally; 05-19-2017 at 08:47 AM.
    Semper Gumby, Always Flexible

With all the electronic technology in our smart phones you would think it would be easy to make a great app (not the inferior ones I've tried) that would be superior to the timers. Wouldn't be water resistant but there is more "tech" available in the phone.

User Tag List