Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Timer Recommendations Please

Quote Originally Posted by BillSWPA View Post
    The Pocket Pro meets all of those requiremetns with the exception of not picking up other people's shots. Avoiding picking up other people's shots would seem to be very difficult to avoid. I have a Pocket Pro that has worked well for me for almost 2 decades.

I second this. Only thing I have done to my PP2 is to put a piece of cardboard in with the 9v because it would bounce around and disconnect. after that it never have one problem. Battery last a long time. But it will pick up other's shots.
    What you do right before you know you're going to be in a use of force incident, often determines the outcome of that use of force.

I just got a PP2 based on the advice of an earlier thread. Have not had a chance to play with yet. My only comment is they should call it the "Cargo-Pocket" Pro II. Pocket size it ain't.

Pocket Pro II, although I carry two in my range bag, because they not infrequently break. They also eat batteries.

However, the PP II is the least bad choice I am aware of. It is amazing how all our technology advances have seemed to skip the shot timer sector.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnO View Post
    I like the size and features of the Shotmax-2 timer. If I were in the market for a new timer I would consider it. http://www.doublealpha.biz/shotmaxx-2 I've seen Mike Pannone using it in his classes and it worked fine.
    He was using a CED 7000 or similar in my class last weekend. I believe EL was using a PPII when I took his. I have a Shotmaxx and am pleased with it for what I use it for.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    It is amazing how all our technology advances have seemed to skip the shot timer sector.
    They all look and feel like something sold at RadioShack in the '90s. Interfaces kinda suck too.

My CED 7000 has been a disappointment. The buttons are difficult to use, the display is hard to read, and the belt attachment options are cheesy. 0.6s is the lower limit on time.

I like my PACT Club Timer a lot. It is simple and easy to use, and has better precision. The only downside is it can only store one string of fire.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Quote Originally Posted by JSGlock34 View Post
    Of the ones listed, only the Shotmaxx can be set not to pick up other shooters due to the use of an accelerometer. I found this feature worked as advertised on my Shotmaxx even at busy indoor ranges with rifle shooters in adjacent bays. My only complaint about the Shotmaxx (well, this is more an operator issue) is that I could never remember to charge it before a range session, and I ended up selling it. I also found the Bluetooth/App functionality somewhat spotty.

The Shotmaxx 2 apparently dumps the Bluetooth feature in favor of additional battery life, which is (in my opinion) the right tradeoff. That new speaker is ridiculous though.
    http://www.doublealpha.biz/images/Sh...02%20-%201.jpg
    My 10 year old PACT Club Shot Timer 3 is still going strong.
    Supposedly there are some Garmin GPS smartwatches that have a shot timer app, that also uses the accelerometer in the watch. So if the looks of the Shotmaxx speaker bother you that much, there might be an alternative.

I have had 3 Pocket Pro II's. LED screens can go bad and they don't play well with moisture and humidity, they are electronic after all. I do have to agree that the shot timer is severely lacking in today's technology arena. The market is wide open for a rock solid, bullet proof, weather proof timer that is feature rich. If you make it, they will come.

Quote Originally Posted by Surf View Post
    I have had 3 Pocket Pro II's. LED screens can go bad and they don't play well with moisture and humidity, they are electronic after all. I do have to agree that the shot timer is severely lacking in today's technology arena. The market is wide open for a rock solid, bullet proof, weather proof timer that is feature rich. If you make it, they will come.
    But will that time cost $300?

If yes then it better do a lot more than just beep and keep times....
    VDMSR.com
    Chief Developer for V Development Group
    Everything I post I do so as a private individual who is not representing any company or organization.

Quote Originally Posted by voodoo_man View Post
    But will that time cost $300?

If yes then it better do a lot more than just beep and keep times....
    Not really sure what costs would be. I do believe it could easily do more than just beep and keep times right now. They are stupid simple electronics, so I don't think it should be overly cost prohibitive to come up with a more robust product for a reasonable price. But then again the markup on these things must be huge as they sit right now. Basic board, basic readout, basic electronics overall.

Granted, I use mine 4-5 days per week, probably more than most people use a timer, but one thing I know is that when it looks like it might even look like rain, I need to put it away. When the LED display starts having issues, just the humidity will kill the display. Doing the hair dryer trick only works so long before the electronics from the strip to the display go bad. I wouldn't think silicon and weatherizing the connections and case should triple the price, but then again maybe a "ruggedized" or "weatherized" version would do exactly that and the markup would be even greater?

I do know that it is one of my most widely used training tools and I would pay a reasonable amount more for a version with more features and more weather / shock resistance.

User Tag List