Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Timer Recommendations Please

There are a few timer apps out there at least on the Apple Store. I've used a few for dry fire work, but haven't gone to the range with them as the CED is in the range bag. May try one or 2 in the next few weeks.

You can always buy a waterproof case for your phone.

Will also have to look at the Garmin app.

Quote Originally Posted by schüler View Post
    You can use lithium AAAs with the external battery pack, about $12.

ETA: Also solves problem of not charging before you hit the range. Which is 99% of the time for me.
    Haven't seen one of those for sale anywhere near me. Still though, that's probably a really good idea. Thanks for reminding me. Note to self: this summer buy that bloody battery pack already.
    Quote Originally Posted by SC_Dave View Post
    With all the electronic technology in our smart phones you would think it would be easy to make a great app (not the inferior ones I've tried) that would be superior to the timers. Wouldn't be water resistant but there is more "tech" available in the phone.
    I really don't want to expose my phone to the sort of conditions I sometimes use my timer in.

Sent from my Infernal Contraption using Tapatalk
    IDPA SSP classification: Sharpshooter
    F.A.S.T. classification: Intermediate

Phones are inconvenient on the live range (and don't nearly have enough time and mic accuracy to work as a timer), but they do work OK enough for dry fire. I still like a timer for that though, something dedicated on my pants pocket is a lot easier to use.
    Semper Gumby, Always Flexible

Site Supporter
    You can get the AAA pack for the CED7K on the Ben Stoeger pro shop. I have a CED7000 that I bought about 2-3 years ago. I run a weekly outlaw USPSA match where I used it, as well as my own practice. I did get a lot of value out of it, and I believe it is the only one of the major timers that has a repetitive mode, which is awesome for dry fire. I have heard that the internal battery is not very good, and I found that to be the case. It eventually would not hold any amount of charge, so I bought a replacement and the power pack. It hasn't really ever worked well since then. Besides the display, the CED was a great tool, but I am hesitant to spend another 100+ bucks on another since it broke. A few guys locally have the Prochet Pro 2, and I may give that one a try this time.

CED7000 and Pocket Pro II user here. 7000 was first, purchased in early 2012 and used for 1-2 hours every 1-2 weeks. Still going strong. I'll echo what others have said - using the tiny buttons with gloves on is a pain. I'm a fan of the menu system, unlike the user interface on the PPII, which is really annoying. I also dislike the belt clip on the 7000. It seems sized to fit onto a competition belt, so hanging it off my pocket means it very quickly ends up on the ground if I'm doing anything involving movement. The PPII, I've only had for about eight months, and purchased it as a backup to the 7000. It seems to stay put better when hanging from my pocket. As I mentioned, I dislike the UI. And the battery rattled around like crazy until I stuck some foam into the battery compartment to wedge it in place. Haven't exposed either to any severe weather, so I can't speak to their robustness. I wanted one of the original ShotMaxx timers, but that absurdly huge speaker on the new model is an affront to my vanity and the CDI factor I strive for at the range.
    Last edited by Casey; 05-21-2017 at 09:01 PM.

User Tag List