Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 910111213 LastLast

Thread: Mike Lamb of Stoic Ventures. Outed as not being a Recon Marine.

Quote Originally Posted by Trooper224 View Post
    Once, when I had my youngest son and some of his buddies in tow, I happened to run into a former SEAL I knew from my Navy days. One of the boys asked, "You used to be a SEAL?" I replied, "Oh hell no! I just had some of them save my ass once upon a time."

About a year ago I walked into the gym wearing an old t-shirt with the words, "State Trooper" on the back. The kid behind the counter asked, "So you're a retired State Trooper?" I replied with a smile, "Not yet you snot nosed punk!"

I just don't get the fragile egos that force people to present themselves as something they aren't. Some of the finest people I've ever known never served a day in any kind of uniform. We're all different, with many things to offer. One of the things I find troubling in the post GWOT world is the sense of fanboisism and cult of celebrity that's sprung up around the military. It's always been there, but cyberspace and social media have really brought it to a frenzy. It isn't healthy for people on the outside, and doubly so for those on the inside. Far too many of whom now have heads so large they couldn't fit through a garage door.
    I agree with you. While I'm proud that folks have seen in me a certain discipline or bearing of some sort, and I'm proud to have had a career in LE, I'd never for a moment let someone believe I was something I was not.

There was an older gentleman that lived about a half mile from me that would see me and my Weimaraner out each morning for a walk. One day he asked me if I was retired from the military and I asked him why. He said because I appeared to walk very erect with a straight back and good posture. (Which is kind of funny because my father always bitched about the way I'd sit slumped on the couch.) I immediately told him that I'd have been proud to have served in the military but never had. LE was the closest I had come.

To each his own but once I'm lied to I can forgive but never quite forget. It's a much worse character flaw imho than many folks give it credit for.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Would it be lying by omission if, when someone says "Iraq? You must have seen some shit, huh?" I were to just shrug rather than explain for the nth time the most action I saw was sleeping through some IDF and playing Nazi Zombies on the X-Box?
    "Customer is very particular" -- SIG Sauer

Quote Originally Posted by ReverendMeat View Post
    Would it be lying by omission if, when someone says "Iraq? You must have seen some shit, huh?" I were to just shrug rather than explain for the nth time the most action I saw was sleeping through some IDF and playing Nazi Zombies on the X-Box?

Point of interest. I looked on Panteo productions online and they have removed the Mike Lamb videos for both purchase and live streaming. I wonder if it was them or him that requested or made the change.

Part of the issue also is the relative lack of consequences in claiming false military history.

People who lie about credentials in other lines of work face pretty serious consequences - one news report detailed a University professor who claimed a false doctorate being charged with grand larceny by the state, on account of the wages he was paid being stolen funds.

A cheese dick "instructor" who lies or exaggerates their military service faces Internet disgrace and loss of some contracts in the gun world.Not good,but all they need do is move and set up shop somewhere else. No jail time,no fraud charges, not even local notoriety in some cases. Lamb could get a job at an FFL in Wyoming and they'd be none the wiser.
    The Minority Marksman.
    "When you meet a swordsman, draw your sword: Do not recite poetry to one who is not a poet."
    -a Ch'an Buddhist axiom.

Quote Originally Posted by Trooper224 View Post
    The training environment has turned into something of a shit show where everyone with a DD214 and a Youtube presence thinks they can teach.
    That's hilarious, doubly because it's true, and because I've made nearly that same exact statement before.
    "These days every swinging dick with a DD214 and a youtube account is a firearms instructor"

Range Time with Cory ....Erika and Mike

Name:  nnnn.jpg
Views: 754
Size:  54.2 KBName:  maxresdefault.jpg
Views: 753
Size:  91.9 KBName:  maxresdefaultnnnnnnnnn.jpg
Views: 957
Size:  96.3 KB

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by jondoe297 View Post
    That's hilarious, doubly because it's true, and because I've made nearly that same exact statement before.
    "These days every swinging dick with a DD214 and a youtube account is a firearms instructor"
    Wait a minute...I'm a firearms instructor with a DD214 and a youtube account. If I'd have only known, I wouldn't have wasted a lot of years teaching and going to instructor schools for nothing

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Pink View Post
    Wait a minute...I'm a firearms instructor with a DD214 and a youtube account. If I'd have only known, I wouldn't have wasted a lot of years teaching and going to instructor schools for nothing
    Let that be a lesson to ya...

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Pink View Post
    Lucky. I've got a DD214, but no youtube channel. I guess I'll have to keep my day job...

User Tag List