Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Mike Lamb of Stoic Ventures. Outed as not being a Recon Marine.

Quote Originally Posted by 45dotACP View Post
    Soooo...what I'm getting from this thread is that Bas Rutten would never survive a street fight because he never trained with a street fighter?

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
    "Kilt On Da Streetz!"

Soooo...what I'm getting from this thread is that Bas Rutten would never survive a street fight because he never trained with a street fighter?

Especially if he's fighting in those clunky wooden shoes.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

That's what you're getting?

Man, you need to work on your reading comprehension skills.

No one has suggested such at all.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    IMO you need three things to be able to teach effectively:
    1) Real world experience in the subject matter
    2) the ability to effectively teach
    3) the genuine desire to see your students improve

While #1 alone isn't enough, you can't just have 2 & 3 (and a bunch of classes) and think that you're good to go. Otherwise you wind up with radio hosts teaching gunfighting classes.
    Gana thread drift here, but I'm genuinely curious.

I agree that having real world experience is a definite Good Thing(TM). But wouldn't the most important be to teach something grounded in reality/effectiveness. There are dudes and dudettes who have survived shootings that would make horrible teachers because what worked for them was a one off. They fired a shot, got lucky or their technique or what they preach is just dumb. I mean, listen to guys like Bob Stasch...he admits to not being a particularly great shot, only used two hands on the gun in 3 of his 14 shootings, and almost always aimed for the head with a large caliber firearm...that's contrary to nearly every accepted doctrine from every self defense expert today. If he taught a class today, he'd be laughed out of the room by most of the defensive cognoscenti no?

But he survived 14 shootings.

It behooves me that shooting to defend oneself is not nearly so difficult as it may seem...at least from the mechanical aspect of shooting. Distance is likely close, a flash sight picture is likely all you need, even to hit a head. If you don't freak the fuck out you'll probably be OK.

At the risk of waxing philosophical...what else can you practice on a range, in a class or even (to a degree) in force on force? Can you train the ability to be aggressive? To close with a violent opponent who wants you to die as badly as you want to live? Can you train the willingness to take a gunshot wound...to die to protect yourself or someone else? Can you train knowing when you need to shoot so well that it's seamless? A shitload of that other stuff is experiential and...at least from what I understand...cannot be trained. Guys like Bob Stasch or Jim Cirillo have it because they've been in it...and the only real way to get it is to do it. Everything else is just hoping you're ready when the bell rings and Mungo steps out of his corner.

I'll admit for sure if I'm wrong, but I'm interested in getting y'alls input. All other things being equal, a coach who's done it for real is a valuable asset...but all other things are rarely equal. I'd sooner take a class from Gabe White than James Yeager...and Yeager's been in a firefight

As to "real world experience", I roll with a newer guy in my gym who has used Taekwondo in a real actual fight or two. But put him against a skilled opponent and he'll get an ass beating. He won because he was lucky and because his opponents were either half drunk or just not very good fighters. He's got more "Real World" experience than most of the blue belts in my school...but they can submit him or take him down in less than a minute.

Smoke Bomb / Ninja Vanish Chance's Avatar
    Bas was a street fighter before he was a prize fighter. Just saying.
    "Sapiens dicit: 'Ignoscere divinum est, sed noli pretium plenum pro pizza sero allata solvere.'" - Michelangelo

Integrity matters, real world fighting experience or not. Plus, Lamb is still full of shit trying to brag about "deployments with agencies." Yeah...an intel pogue "deploying" with intel agencies almost always is not in any way, close to say, a standard infantryman's deployment. ToddG didn't lie about a damn thing regarding his resume and he was an excellent trainer whom never had a problem filling a class.
    #RESIST

It seems Dave Canterbury recovered and flourished after his outing and ousting for padding his background. Different 'field' but apparently it can happen.
    You will more often be attacked for what others think you believe than what you actually believe. Expect misrepresentation, misunderstanding, and projection as the modern normal default setting. ~ Quintus Curtius

45dotACP My take is along the lines of the proof is in the pudding line of thinking. A person involved in 1 or 2 shootings may have gotten lucky. A person who was in 14-15 it's doubtful they were lucky everytime so they must be doing something right. I won't take everything they say and do as gospel and attempt to be a clone of them just consider what they have to offer with the understanding of their experience helps validate what they are espousing. I also like to get as many quality views/recommendations as possible to help broaden my knowledge base to help ME decide what will likely work best for ME. I don't have the height to dunk a ball on my toes like some basketball players, the team and training of a special forces operator or the strength and flexibility of a gymnast to do what they can do. If I take their class I try and get what I can use for me out of each of them. Each may help me be better in all my activities but I put more credibility in the gymnast for gymnastics the basketball player for basketball and so on. That doesn't mean I ignore what each has to say about the other disciplines or what my neighbor can teach me about each.

Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    how do you know?
    I'm honestly not sure what you mean. I have a lot of experience teaching people complex material. So, I tend to look first at teaching style and engagement then at curriculum. As for how would I know?

A critical self-assessment of my changing needs as a person/professional, so that I am looking for training that makes sense in my real-world setting. Seeking out training from folks who have a short catalog of fundamentals and train hard in the application of those. Ultimately, that's how you successfully teach anything, a breakdown into fundamental components, drill those components, and then combine those components for more advanced techniques. Shooting a gun isn't difficult, neither for that matter, is using a knife to stab someone. There is some nuance to it, but not a lot and mastery (or at least plenty of experience) of basic fundamentals is mostly what it takes to be successful in virtually anything. The only other component is to be able to link fundamentals together and problem solve in a dynamic way.

Good instructors will teach and drill fundamentals.
    Excellent instructors will teach and drill fundamentals and show you how to link them together for more complex problem solving.

User Tag List