Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Mike Lamb of Stoic Ventures. Outed as not being a Recon Marine.

Quote Originally Posted by LOKNLOD View Post
    Sooooo.... from the blurb above: Stoic ventures takes its name from Stoicism and the "belief that destructive emotions cause errors in judgement".

The irony is thick enough to cut with a tomahawk.
    Name:  151022-hillary-clinton-benghazi-testimony-1025a_aebe8965efa10c2351275e6021f30512.nbcnews-fp-1200.jpg
Views: 776
Size:  41.7 KB

"I repeat. Do as I say...not as I do!"
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Quote Originally Posted by HopetonBrown View Post
    I'm reading that others said Mike was a Recon Marine, and he just never corrected them. This is a screen cap of his background from his website before the revelation.

Attachment 16264

And after.

Attachment 16265

Perhaps he counts his webmaster as "others saying it and not correcting them?" Looks like he admitted to a lie with another lie.

As for instructors having real world experience I see it as an enhancement. It's not necessary but helps put things in context. Being able to teach and diagnose is what I view as critical. It's why I enjoyed training with Mac, Defoor, Pannone, Procter, and F2S. And why I'll train with them again. They have the skills and the experience. There are instructors who I want to train with who never went into harms way. It's not mandatory for me. YMMV.

I'm suprised so many are taking up for this POS.

1. Maybe, just maybe, the lie started out as a lie of omission. I don't think that's an excuse, but if you think that's a mitigating factor then remember he outright said he was Force Recon plenty of times.

2. He lied about his rank.

3. No, his resume wasn't good enough as it was, at least not if he wanted to get hired by Magpul, which in turn allowed him to hang out his own shingle. He was a junior enlisted commo geek. If, and that's a big if because he's a liar, if he was attached to an intel agency it was probably to put fills in radios or some other low responsibility duty. Don't let your imagination run wild. He wasn't Jason Bourne.

4. He hasn't "owned" this. He only came clean because he was about to be outed.

5. There's no shortage of good instructors. We aren't diminished by him slinking into oblivion.

6. If you have a cavalier attitude about someone claiming membership in an elite group, it makes me think you've never been part of such a group. If you had had to bleed and sweat to get there and watched others from your group pay the ultimate sacrifice as part of that of that group, you might not be so forgiving.

To me, experience matters and my priorities are very similar to RobS.

Does an individual need to be a professional gun carrier to teach shooting? No. An example, guys like Jerry are brought into various organizations to teach shooting, because they have a huge grasp on shooting, given their huge amount of experience with shooting. They are not brought in to teach tactics. They are brought in to teach shooting.

Does an individual need a background and experience in small unit tactics, in order to teach small unit tactics? Absolutely.

Experience, when properly tempered with reflection and analysis allows an instructor to have a much more comprehensive grasp of the material, which he can then relay to students.

Most anything worth instructing, especially tactics, has 2 parts. A task, and a purpose. I do this_________, so that________. Teaching a task is easy. Anyone can instruct an action (aka shooting instructors teaching shooting, and being good at it). As you begin teaching more art and not science stuff, the purpose or the "why" rapidly begins to outweigh the action. Because understanding the "why" allows you to apply the task in whatever situation you find yourself in.

My most formative instruction was done in a school house where nearly all the instructors where combat vets. Not out of requirement, but out of a self selecting process. Having that degree of experience in the instructor cadre lended itself to a knowing of the "Why" which I am convinced would not have come if the instructors were not as experienced. Ultimately that instruction has paid dividends.
    "When the hour of crisis comes, remember that 40 selected men can shake the world." -- Yasotay

I have no clue as to why anyone would ever defend him. Stolen Valor. He should be arrested and charged.

Glock Collective Assimile Suvorov's Avatar
    Escapee from the SF Bay Area now living on the Front Range of Colorado.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shellback View Post
    I have no clue as to why anyone would ever defend him. Stolen Valor. He should be arrested and charged.
    I'm wondering who here is defending him?

Quote Originally Posted by Shellback View Post
    Charged with what? The original Stolen Valor Act was ruled unconstitutional. The 2013 revision of the law only applies if a person claims one of the specified valor awards with intent to obtain money, property, etc. Claiming to be a Recon Marine is not claiming to have received one of the specified valor awards.
    Last edited by jlw; 05-05-2017 at 08:57 AM.
    I had an ER nurse in a class. I noticed she kept taking all head shots. Her response when asked why, "'I've seen too many people who have been shot in the chest putting up a fight in the ER." Point taken.

Quote Originally Posted by jlw View Post
    Charged with what? The original Stolen Valor Act was ruled unconstitutional. The 2013 revision of the law only applies if a person claims one of the specified valor awards with intent to obtain money, property, etc. Claiming to be a Recon Marine is not claiming to have received one of the specified valor awards.
    How about being charged with fraud for intentionally deceiving people for monetary gain?

I should've changed my original sentence structure. I didn't mean charged with Stolen Valor, but I can see how it would be interpreted as that. Posting on the fly, sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by Trooper224 View Post
    The really shouldn't surprise anyone. In the current training profession, the guys who have shit on their shoes in one form or another outweigh the guys who don't. Egos get involved and everyone wants to be the alphaest male in the alpha group. It seems, in order to appear credible (read that as sellable) you have to have a few tours in the sandbox, or some kind of theater with a playground attached nickname. Being a ground pounder humping an M4 isn't good enough either, you have to have served with some "force", "unit" or "team" which shall not be named but of course everyone knows about. At the very least, if you're an ex-LEO you'd better have experience with something on the minimum level of LAPDs D Platoon, 'cause ya know this is all necessary to teach people basic self defense in urban america. "Please tell me how you fast roped out of a Blackhawk by the light of the moon into Fallujah, or explain how you breached the embassy and took out terrorists with your MP5, because those are the skills I need to defend myself with my Kel-Tec during a mugging." The training environment has turned into something of a shit show where everyone with a DD214 and a Youtube presence thinks they can teach. So it's not surprising people feel the need to pad their resume, even guys with pretty extensive qualifications spin stories about gunning down Texas carjackers and what not. You know, alpha among alphas and all that. Personally, integrity matters to me more than anything and I'm not impressed by past shannanigans, so pieces of bovine excrement like Force Recon Wannabe Lamb won't get my money, but I'm hardly shocked or surprised.
    Word.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

Liars, prevaricators, deceivers, cheats, phonies, perjurers, dissimulators, equivocators, fibbers, falsifiers and misleaders all suck.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

User Tag List