Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Civilian CCW: Pulling the Trigger

Quote Originally Posted by NH Shooter View Post
    This quote fits the discussion quite well, IMO;

The definition of a plan is typically any diagram or list of steps with timing and resources, used to achieve an objective. Link - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plan

The definition of planning - also called forethought - is the process of thinking about and organizing the activities required to achieve a desired goal. It involves the creation and maintenance of a plan, such as psychological aspects that require conceptual skills. There are even a couple of tests to measure someone’s capability of planning well. As such, planning is a fundamental property of intelligent behavior. Link - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Planning

We cannot plan our response to a violent encounter. But through planning we use our conceptual skills to provide a "AOJP framework" for our thinking during a violent encounter. IMO the better one does this, the better one is able to decisively respond in a legal fashion: within the context of AOJP vs. irrationally reacting due to panic.

One of the ideas that many people don't understand about this concept is that, once the plan/schemas/snapshots/whatever you want to call it, is inside our brains and has been used during practice the speed at which one can think and make decisions is quite fast. Without these items inside our memory we still think very fast. The mind keeps going from snapshot to snapshot trying to find the solution. I suspect that is at least part of the freeze response.
    What you do right before you know you're going to be in a use of force incident, often determines the outcome of that use of force.

There is also a time continuum between "seeing it coming a mile away" to "right here, right now." The earlier trouble is detected the more time to determine the best response making use of the of schema. Otherwise "right here right now" is entirely reflexive based on physical training.

This just further illustrates the huge importance of SA which can allow us to make the best decision in response to the time limit imposed under the circumstances.

Quote Originally Posted by StraitR View Post
    Pride is a mental form of cancer, and kills just as efficiently, get rid of it.
    Nice!

Site Supporter
    By nature, a "line in the sand" will not vary, and that's why BBI is telling you to drop it. Sound advice. What you're doing is trying to define your shoot/no shoot before it happens, which is not possible, and I think you know that. All you can do with this mindset is cause confusion and distraction at a potential time where time is life. Make the moral decision now, as best you can, know your local laws, and then be ever observant (as best you can). Make good choices, in both where you go and how you interact with people. Pride is a mental form of cancer, and kills just as efficiently, get rid of it. I guess my point is, there are all kind of things you actually control which should increase your success in any scenario, or better yet evading one, so I see no reason to get caught up trying to fully define that which is out your control.

Craig, thanks once again, for some classic advice. Your posts are of the elite category - the reason I spend so much time, literally studying pistol-forum. I'm extremely grateful to have had some fellow pf'ers share from their personal libraries and that, plus the access to drills here and at pistol-training have been priceless in my continuing education. There simply is no better site than pistol-forum for folks sharing all they have, with no strings attached. Many thanks to all who take the time to give - much appreciated by this student.
    Last edited by 11B10; 05-06-2017 at 12:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 11B10 View Post
    Craig, thanks once again, for some classic advice. Your posts are of the elite category - the reason I spend so much time, literally studying pistol-forum. I'm extremely grateful to have had some fellow pf'ers share from their personal libraries and that, plus the access to drills here and at pistol-training have been priceless in my continuing education. There simply is no better site than pistol-forum for folks sharing all they have, with no strings attached. Many thanks to all who take the time to give - much appreciated by this student.
    Thank you for the kind works, but I am but a student as well. This is a great place to learn, from both ongoing discussions and the threads of yesteryear. The vast majority of my time spent online over the last five years has been here, be that just reading or participating when I feel as though I have something to offer within the scope of my experience. I'd be interested to hear my usage stats if Tom has such things, I'm sure it's pretty insane.

One thing I can't recommend enough, is hitting the Marksmanship & Gun Handling / Mindset & Tactics sections and either 1) Go back to the beginning of PF by hitting "Last", or 2) Organize by either Replies or Views and read the most popular topics. Those two sections are a venerable gold mine of information.

Name:  Screen Shot 2017-05-06 at 4.51.18 PM.jpg
Views: 191
Size:  47.5 KB
    Last edited by StraitR; 05-06-2017 at 03:59 PM.

This is a great place to learn...
    It is indeed.

Because of the quality of participation (i.e., level of maturity), serious discussion can be had on relevant topics that on other forums would instantly derail. I know from first hand experience that this kind of culture is cultivated from the top, so kudos to all of the P-F admin!

User Tag List