Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 9mm revolvers RFI - for fun

Site Supporter
    Well....thaaaaaat opens up some new possibilities

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For the purposes the original poster intends, I think it'll be hard to beat a Ruger Blackhawk Convertible in .357/.38//9mm, in terms of availability, cost, reliability and durability.

While mine is used primarily for hunting in .357 magnum, the 9mm cylinder is nice for inexpensive practice and just fun shooting. I've found that 115gr 9mm shoots pretty much to the same POA/POI as 158 gr .357 magnum.

A single-action revolver can actually be reloaded fairly (but in all honestly, not real) quickly using a rubber "speed star (the cowboy action shooter's version of a speed strip)," a caliber-specific auto pistol single stack magazine (with the spring cut down as necessary), or a reloading pipe suitable tubing sufficient for the caliber diameter, with the bottom closed-copper piping or a PVC sprinkler pipe length work well).

Best, Jon
    Last edited by JonInWA; 05-04-2017 at 11:28 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by JonInWA View Post
    I think it'll be hard to beat a Ruger Blackhawk Convertible in .357/.38//9mm.
    I always wanted the 45 version, but this would be pretty cool also.

Question, what is the nylon bandoleer looking holster?

It's a custom-made one for the Ruger Blackhawk by Tactical Tailor, comfortable and operationally excellent. The other pieces of coyote-colored kit are from them as well; the small pouch holds nested star reloading strips, and the larger pouch (with the flag and Ruger patch) holds reloading magazines, compass, energy bars, etc; the flapped pouch is holding pepper spray, but can hold an individual magazine or folding knife or tactical flashlight. There's a bottom strap to secure to a belt, and a 10 cartridge canvas bandoleer attached to the shoulder strap for quick (well, fairly quick) individual reloading.

Best, Jon
    Last edited by JonInWA; 05-04-2017 at 03:25 PM.

I have a 9mm Ruger SP 101. It's mostly a safe queen. Too big and heavy to carry for only 5 shots. It also hits low. I got it used and somebody had filed down the front sight, but it still hits low. I haven't shot it a whole lot. I remember I had sticky extraction with some loads. For somebody that is used to S&W's, the trigger is very long and heavy, even after I put lighter springs in it.
    Name:  IMG_1351.JPG
Views: 336
Size:  94.9 KB

Quote Originally Posted by JonInWA View Post
    It's a custom-made one for the Ruger Blackhawk by Tactical Tailor
    Cool, something else to covet. I have a 5.5" SBH that needs something like that.

Quote Originally Posted by mmc45414 View Post
    Cool, something else to covet. I have a 5.5" SBH that needs something like that.
    They're very reasonable to work with; here's some contact info:

http://www.tacticaltailor.com/contact-us.aspx

Best, Jon
    Last edited by JonInWA; 05-04-2017 at 04:18 PM.

How come nobody has mentioned the S&W 986 or 929 factory guns?

Count me in for a 3"-4" lcrx in 9mm

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by mkmckinley View Post
    How come nobody has mentioned the S&W 986 or 929 factory guns?
    The 986 certainly has my eye - the 2.5" barrel one looks like it wasn't thought out and is assembled from left overs compared to their other offerings. Good call - something I hadn't looked at originally due to the performance center marking usually carrying a premium in the price department.

Quote Originally Posted by Grouse870 View Post
    Count me in for a 3"-4" lcrx in 9mm

I really do want one of these, but I don't know if we'll ever see one. A 3" LCRx in 22 and a 3" LCR in 9x19 would be a nice pairing, all things (especially the budget) considered.

TK custom states you can shoot lower pressure .38 after having a cylinder reworked for 9mm moonclips - that might be the best way to approach the situation. Now to figure out a revolver I'm comfortable paying for and sinking another $400 into at a later date. My gut says a K frame is the best candidate. I remember Model 10's being dirt cheap 10 years ago, is there another model that's taken that spot? Or has $200+ been added to all the K frame prices over the last decade?

EDIT:Bottom of TK's website states they will do this work on LCR models. A 3" LCR .38 converted, or a K frame could be the victim.
    Last edited by jeep45238; 05-04-2017 at 10:15 PM.

User Tag List