Thread: AAR: Green-Ops Defensive Pistol I Clinic-NRA HQ Range- 4/30/2017

AAR: Green-Ops Defensive Pistol I Clinic-NRA HQ Range- 4/30/2017

On Sunday, 30 April 2017 I attended Green-Ops' Defensive Handgun Clinic I at the NRA HQ Range in Fairfax, Virginia. For those who may not know, Green-Ops is the brainchild of Mike Green, who has decades worth of military special operations experience in the U.S Army, as well as training government & military personnel in marksmanship, tactics and PSD operations. Mike's assistant instructors include an active duty LEO, Jay, from a major Washington D.C area law enforcement agency, as well as Andy Lander, who works tirelessly to preserve our Second Amendment freedoms at the NRA.

Class began around 6 P.M, and had thirteen students in attendance. After the instructor introductions / class paperwork were complete, it was on to the classroom portion of the evening. A safety / medical briefing was conducted, and it was on to the salient points of the evening's lecture.

Without giving too much away here, Jay explained the who/what/when/where and why of employing force, as well as the legal and moral implications of employing a firearm in a defensive manner. Far too many classes fail to properly emphasize this often overlooked aspect of training. Sure, it's a lot more enjoyable hitting the range, but knowing how and when to lawfully and morally employ deadly force is paramount.

Once the classroom instruction concluded, we were given our Green Ops t-shirts, name tags and entered the range.

My equipment was my EDC layout; to include a Glock 19 Gen 4 MOS (sans optic), using Ameriglo's excellent Defoor sights. The gun is bone stock, with the exception of these sights and a Glockmeister grip-plug. Magazines were a mixture of OEM 15/17 round mags, as well as 15 round GL-9 PMAGs.

Ammunition used was a mixture of 124 grain Aguila & GECO FMJ. Holster was a DSG AIWB with claw and two RCS Copia mag pouches. Throughout the evening, there were no issues of any kind with my equipment or firearm.

Other students were shooting a mixture of Glocks, M&P's as well as a lone Sig P320 Compact.

​The range session commenced with students falling in behind a target, in this case the CSAT Qualification Target, and odd and even numbered students shooting in relays. Mike, Jay and Andy explained and demoed the drills of the evening, which all placed a heavy emphasis on on-demand accuracy, consistency as well as minimizing wasted motion/movements. During the class, each student was evaluated and closely critiqued by the instructors, who provided them with valuable feedback. What also impressed me was the level of supervision given to the class as a whole, from a safety standpoint. I'm sure that we've all been in classes where the instructor and AI's turn a blind eye to safety violations, but rest assured, none of that happened here. Mike and his crew run a very safe class.

If you're looking for a class which strokes your ego and lets you do mag dumps at 3 yards with a pistol, this one ain't it. Many of the drills focused on hitting a 1 inch in diameter square at 3 yards , which sounds easy, but it can be a challenge. Additionally, the drills were all conducted firing from the high compressed ready and from concealment, and some included strong/weak hand only. The evening culminated with a walk back drill as well as stoppage/malfunction clearance procedures.

All in all, an excellent clinic, and if you live in the Washington D.C area, you owe it to yourself to check out Green-Ops.

Great report, thank you!
    Technical excellence supports tactical preparedness
    Lord of the Food Court
    http://www.gabewhitetraining.com

User Tag List