Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Michigan might be going auto

Quote Originally Posted by Trukinjp13 View Post
    Okay, I am not a lawyer. But reading through the lines basically you can not carry a fixed blade. During hunting season you can for "hunting" you also can not carry with the intent to harm. You can only carry certain blade length folders also. No boot knives or concealed fixed blade knives.

You will have to read them for your self. But no on fixed blade carry. Hopefully the auto passing will help with other laws.
    MI knife laws are not only restrictive but not very clear. Take the blade length thing for example. There is no state law regulating the length of blade you can carry, what it really says is, "It is illegal to use any knife with a blade over three inches long against another person with unlawful intent to harm them".

There's no preemption on knife laws here in MI so unless they get it passed also this would be a useless bill
    As it stands now each city can make its own law on knife carry

Quote Originally Posted by wsr View Post
    There's no preemption on knife laws here in MI so unless they get it passed also this would be a useless bill
    As it stands now each city can make its own law on knife carry
    To repeal the state law against owning, selling or possessing a switchblade knife, “the blade or blades of which can be opened by the flick of a button.” The sponsor of the bill says the ban is outdated and unevenly enforced

Quote Originally Posted by MVS View Post
    MI knife laws are not only restrictive but not very clear. Take the blade length thing for example. There is no state law regulating the length of blade you can carry, what it really says is, "It is illegal to use any knife with a blade over three inches long against another person with unlawful intent to harm them".

True, but I have spoken to state and county cops. They told me it is just safer per law to carry a folder under 3 inches. So I just stayed on the safe side. It is crazy all the loop holes of it per state and municipalities. Most of the municipalities I have seen stay pretty close to state law. It really is a pain in the ass. I have been pulled over in a few different counties and am always carrying a folder and my pistol. Have never had a problem with either. But I also do not conceal carry a knife like rambo. Also I have a perfect record. But my vehicles are usually "excessively loud". Gives them a good reason to pull me over and I do not complain. They do there thing, I do mine. I never end up with a ticket.

To repeal the state law against owning, selling or possessing a switchblade knife, “the blade or blades of which can be opened by the flick of a button.” The sponsor of the bill says the ban is outdated and unevenly enforced
    I understand that, I'm saying it will be useless because cities will still be able to make and enforce whatever knife laws they want...
    They should work on preemption first

I understand that, I'm saying it will be useless because cities will still be able to make and enforce whatever knife laws they want...
    They should work on preemption first
    Well I am excited for this and where I come from and spend pretty much all my time they do not have them. The fact that they are starting to fix stuff they know is crap is a good sign. Same as suppressors, have to start somewhere. Not every town or village has them. I would also treat my knives as I treat my guns and make sure where I am going is safe to carry or not. I am not trying to argue if I am right or if you are. This is just my take on the situation and how it will affect where I live.

Well I am excited for this and where I come from and spend pretty much all my time they do not have them. The fact that they are starting to fix stuff they know is crap is a good sign. Same as suppressors, have to start somewhere. Not every town or village has them. I would also treat my knives as I treat my guns and make sure where I am going is safe to carry or not. I am not trying to argue if I am right or if you are. This is just my take on the situation and how it will affect where I live.
    Not trying to argue either but if they made autos legal here do you really think there wouldn't be a rash of cities passing laws???
    I'm all for fixing stuff one step at a time but the steps need to be taken in the right order...preemption makes sense as the first step

Not trying to argue either but if they made autos legal here do you really think there wouldn't be a rash of cities passing laws???
    I'm all for fixing stuff one step at a time but the steps need to be taken in the right order...preemption makes sense as the first step
    Yes this is not perfect nor will it help everyone. But I do not think there will be a lot of cities taking action against this. If you live here you know the libtard cities. I tend to avoid them and refuse to give them money. We only have a handful anyways. Hopefully before it gets through the house someone will figure out a way to clean up some of the language and maybe be able to do like you are saying. We can only hope.

http://www.detroitnews.com/story/new...gal/103688182/

Wish they would clarify and or update the other knife laws.
    Last edited by Isaac; 08-02-2017 at 06:30 PM.

User Tag List