Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tikka Scope/Ring Question

Tikka Scope/Ring Question

I have a Leupold VX-R 3-9x40 on my Tikka 308. It's in 30mm Leupold PRW low rings on a Picatinny rail as shown.

There's some distortion in the image, but there's a good 0.440" between the objective bell and the barrel, and I'd like to reduce that as much as possible. I'm thinking Warne medium 30mm rings that attach directly to the action. Is anyone else running this combination on a Tikka T3 Lite? Is there a better solution? I'd like to keep the QD capability, so fixed rings like the Talley and DNZ are out for now.

Thanks,

Okie John
    Last edited by okie john; 04-30-2017 at 05:17 PM.
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

Burris used to make some low, quick detach type rings that were good quality and reasonably priced.

Larue makes some very low 30MM rings that are QD, but they are not exactly inexpensive.

You might reconsider the QD. Simply marking the position on the bolts on your rings may yield as good or better return to poi after detachment.
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie
    Shabbat shalom, motherf***ers! --Mordechai Jefferson Carver

Site Supporter
    Deleted - missed the comment about wanting to keep QD capability
    Last edited by ranger; 04-30-2017 at 06:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lost River View Post
    Burris used to make some low, quick detach type rings that were good quality and reasonably priced.

Larue makes some very low 30MM rings that are QD, but they are not exactly inexpensive.
    Thanks.

I checked out the Burris rings. They only make mediums in 30mm. The LaRue's are nice, but Leupold QRWs are actually a bit lower and significantly less expensive. Apparently there's a big difference between what's considered low in the AR/tactical world and in the bolt-action sporter world.

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    You might reconsider the QD. Simply marking the position on the bolts on your rings may yield as good or better return to poi after detachment.
    I'm looking for the ability to swap out an optic if one goes south on me during a hunt. Would this method work? Genuinely curious...

Okie John

Quote Originally Posted by okie john View Post
    I'm looking for the ability to swap out an optic if one goes south on me during a hunt. Would this method work? Genuinely curious...

Okie John
    Assuming you have the tool... I don't see why not. None of my precision rifles have QD mounts.

Assuming you have the tool... I don't see why not. None of my precision rifles have QD mounts.
    The tool being a torque wrench?

Okie John

Tikka Scope/Ring Question

Quote Originally Posted by okie john View Post
    The tool being a torque wrench?

Okie John
    Nope. No need to torque more than once. Mark the position when you torque or whatever passes for torque :-). When you put it back on, use a regular wrench and turn to same mark. Boom. Same poi.

Note this assumes good hardware. This works for my Badger and Spuhr rings.
    Last edited by Clusterfrack; 04-30-2017 at 07:52 PM.

Nope. No need to torque more than once. Mark the position when you torque or whatever passes for torque :-). When you put it back on, use a regular wrench and turn to same mark. Boom. Same poi.
    Thanks. Sometimes you have to lead the horse to water. Other times you have to hold his head below the surface until bubbles stop coming up.

Okie John

User Tag List