Thread: Cerakote Firearm Finish Review

Cerakote Firearm Finish Review

With my latest pistol getting Cerakoted I thought it time to do a review for those who haven't had any experience with it. Due to formatting differences between forums I'd have to redo everything except the words for each, so here's a link instead: https://gunpowdermeditation.com/2017...finish-review/

I've had cerakote from two different applicators, one local and one a well-regarded shop to re-do the local guy.

The first one was a used pistol that wore exceptionally fast once I started working it from a kydex holster. All the usual lines Glocks get and more. At the rear of the slide, I could chip away parts of the finish. I chalked that up to poor application. Tried out another shop and within a few hundred draws it was the same story on the wear lines -- though thankfully it didn't start chipping away. It may hold up to 8,000,000,000,000 passes with sandpaper but it apparently doesn't like kydex very much.

Quote Originally Posted by ssb View Post
    Tried out another shop and within a few hundred draws it was the same story on the wear lines
    It's a finish, not a forcefield. Unless you go with a metal treatment, not just a finish, I don't know of any that won't eventually wear to kydex. Good on you for drawing that much though!
    Last edited by Sterling Archer; 04-30-2017 at 03:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sterling Archer View Post
    It's a finish, not a forcefield. Unless you go with a metal treatment, not just a finish, I don't know of any that won't eventually wear to kydex. Good on you for drawing that much though!
    Fair enough. I guess I just expected more given the ad copy.

With both Cerakote & Duracoat, your applicator is EVERYTHING!

User Tag List