Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 9mm 1911 Magazines

Hammertime

9mm 1911 Magazines

I am new to the 1911. I have a Springfield Range Officer model and am looking for spare mags. I realize the Wilson Combat versions are probably good to go, but they give me a little sticker shock. There are also many manufacturers of mags out there.

Is there a particular mag that sits at the reliable performance/reasonably priced sweet spot? Thanks.

Site Supporter
    Metalform 9 round flush mags with the internal feed ramp...also called the Leatham Mag I believe. They also make ten round mags with the feed ramp with a basepad, but those had issues hanging up in my Commander

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

I have no personal experience. A number of people at our single stack match today were saying they did not like the Wilson 9mm mags and had lots of problems with them. That is a sampling of only about 6 people that happened to be standing around who shoot SS minor so take it for what its worth.

I bought a Dan Wesson Guardian in 9mm late last year. The two supplied mags are garbage. Both suffered numerous failures to feed and one had the base plate rip off at the welds when I went to strip it from the gun. *While I haven't played with other brands,* after an even 2600 rounds I have not had a single issue with Wilson ETMs.

Site Supporter
    The Metalform mags are pretty good, but tend to stop locking the slide back on empty after a few hundred rounds (at least in my experience).

Some people have good luck with Tripp mags, some with McCormick, others with Colt magazines. Even the Brownells brand 10-rd mags are liked by many.

But the only 9mm 1911 magazines that have proven 100% reliable in my guns with both my carry and practice ammunition are the current generation Wilson Combat ETM mags.

I've used them all, and the current generation of Wilson 9mm ETMs introduced a couple years ago are the best there is.

The original Wilsons with the plastic followers sucked. I have no experience with the new ones, but they look like a better mag.

The Leatham mags do feed well, but IME, they're kinda fragile and don't last long.

I tried to shoot a 9mm 1911 in Steel Challenge a few years ago and it just didn't work out for my style of shooting (high volume, low maintenance, generally rough on everything).

Mags and extractors were my complaint.

My 45s were work horses and I wish I still had 'em.

The Wilsons are the way to go. Several makers provide good quality .45 mags, but the Wilson 9mms are really a step above the competition.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

Tripp Cobramag
    "Swing your leaders wide old man!"

Chip McCormick XP mags have worked in our CCO, Dan Wesson, and Springfield.

Metalforms are reliable if you clean them once in a while with Breakfree CLP.

I tried a couple Wilsons and did not get good reliability but my understanding is that the design has changed.
    -Seconds Count. Misses Don't-

User Tag List