Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Reproduction Swords

Reproduction Swords

My wife is into genealogy and recently found a branch of my family tree where apparently I am related to a guy named Adam Neff? who during something called the Second War of Kappel? chopped some dude's head off with a somewhat bad ass looking sword which is displayed in the Swiss National Museum in Zurich. So, while I have no use for much less knowledge of how to use one, if I can find out what it is, this is probably the best excuse I will ever have to justify getting one and shockingly the wife even seemed to approve of the idea.
    "You can't win a war with choirboys. " Mad Mike Hoare

Smoke Bomb / Ninja Vanish Chance's Avatar
    Hey @Trooper224, someone has a sword nerd question.
    "Sapiens dicit: 'Ignoscere divinum est, sed noli pretium plenum pro pizza sero allata solvere.'" - Michelangelo

A longsword (also spelled as long sword or long-sword) is a type of European sword characterized as having a cruciform hilt with a grip for two-handed use (around 16 to 28 cm (6 to 11 in)) and a straight double-edged blade of around 85 to 110 cm (33 to 43 in), [1] The "longsword" type exists in a morphological continuum with the medieval knightly sword and the Renaissance-era Zweihänder. It was prevalent during the late medieval and Renaissance periods (approximately 1350 to 1550), with early and late use reaching into the 13th and 17th centuries.

May find something similar here. Prices and makers seem to range widely.

http://www.kultofathena.com/swords-medieval-br.asp

You know what? I've wanted some sort of sharp, functional sword since I was a kid. F it; this is the year. Following this thread.

If you're serious about it, I would highly recommend contacting one of the eastern european smiths such as...........

https://www.facebook.com/sulowskiswords/
    and
    https://www.facebook.com/swordmaking/?hc_ref=NEWSFEED

Their work is excellent as is their work ethic. They really get on it and get in done in fine fashion. Their price to quality ratio absolutely blows away their american counterparts.

One of my swords by Mateusz.........

Another good one..............
    http://www.todsstuff.co.uk/index.htm
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

Michael "Tinker" Pearce makes very good swords. His book, "Medeval Swords in the Modern World" is good. Center of percussion, center of balance matter. A sword is not a large knife.

There are several European sword use texts, Wallenstein Codex, DelFiore, Talhoffer.

Thanks all. Looks like I have some research to do. So far the closest, to my eye, this a 16th century German Two-Handed although the Sulowski Custom MUNICH Sword on the first Facebook page in Trooper224's post is pretty darn sweet.
    "You can't win a war with choirboys. " Mad Mike Hoare

Remember, with a custom smith it isn't an off the shelf kind of deal. Show him the photo you posted here, he can probably work you.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

User Tag List