Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Reproduction Swords

Site Supporter
    I'm not hesitant at all. He just doesn't have anything listed that I want right now. I figure it will be easier if I can find a dealer in the US also, but I wouldn't hesitate to order from him if I saw the sword I wanted at a price I could live with.

Ah, right.

It may be worth sending him a note saying what youre interested in and see if he turns anything up. He may also provide referrals to some dealers.
    “Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat.”
    ― Theodore Roosevelt

Site Supporter
    That's a great idea. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Caballoflaco View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Trooper224 View Post
    Matt's a pretty good dude and very knowledgeable. In the category of sword guys on Youtube, I'd consider him one of the best.
    Did not know him yet. Thanks for the info, will watch his videos.

I like the YT channel Skallagrim. They show some sparring fights there. This one impressed me. Skallagrim recommends kultofathena.com.

But for the beginning, I got my old bokken (wooden replica of a Japanese sword) out of the basement and started carefully practicing some moves in the living room. Decades ago I practiced Ninjutsu and still have some moves in my muscle memory. Maybe later I'll buy a real sword and practice cutting mats with it (en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tameshigiri).

PS:
    Skall's favorite sword

PPS:
    Oh, Malamute recommended kultofathena.com already in post #5.
    Last edited by P30; 03-25-2021 at 12:20 PM.

@Erik, Try the auctions. In no particular order . . .

RockIslandAuction.com
    CowanAuctions.com
    MorphyAucions.com
    Legacy-Collectables.com

Site Supporter
    Thanks! I will.

Site Supporter
    I did a lot of searching around and trolling different sites, and watched a lot of Matt Easton's videos, and I ended up finding a sword I wanted on his site after all. It's in rough shape but the price was right, even with shipping to the US (just around $300 total), it was a great quality sword in its prime, it should clean up and restore to good condition with a little work and attention, which I think will be fun, and it isn't so pristine that I won't want to mess with it.

https://www.antique-swords.co.uk/ant...ion-p322813478

@Trooper224 you've really inspired me with your amazing thread about your Maciej Kopciuch blade. I've wanted a Viking sword for decades but the type I'm looking for is a little past the time period he's currently working in. He does have a nicer later (late 10th / early 11thC) sword that I like.

There is an Albion blade that is exactly the style I like and I saw you mentioned some experience with them as well. For this kind of money I want something very special. Besides the obvious manufacturing differences how would you compare the Albion end product versus Maciej's?

Quote Originally Posted by jc000 View Post
    @Trooper224 you've really inspired me with your amazing thread about your Maciej Kopciuch blade. I've wanted a Viking sword for decades but the type I'm looking for is a little past the time period he's currently working in. He does have a nicer later (late 10th / early 11thC) sword that I like.

There is an Albion blade that is exactly the style I like and I saw you mentioned some experience with them as well. For this kind of money I want something very special. Besides the obvious manufacturing differences how would you compare the Albion end product versus Maciej's?
    Thanks, i appreciate the kind words.

Albion quality is very good, really too good from a standpoint of authenticity. Their swords have a highly symmetrical, almost antiseptic look to them. That isn't bad mind you and if you're an anal retentive type who can't stand imperfection, then Albion's for you. Maciej on the other hand leaves slight imperfections in his work in order to illustrate their organic, handmade nature. The original antiques are far from perfect and he likes to recreate that vibe. The work is beautiful in its imperfection, very authentic.

Honestly, the folks at Albion are friends of mine, I've known the owners for years. Their work is top notch and their partnership with Peter Johnsson completely changed the landscape of modern sword making. But, their pricing has risen to the point where, if I'm going to wait that long and pay that much I'm going for a one-off custom. Maciej is also very reliable. I've dealt with several eastern European smiths in the last few years and they've become my preference. They get on it and get it done in a timely matter, something that US makers as a collective can't seem to accomplish. The work is excellent too.

I'd go with Maciej.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

That's exactly what I needed to hear, and makes perfect sense. Thank you much!

User Tag List