Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Reproduction Swords

Ill venture a guess while we wait for the actual answer. Im guessing he found that without a fair amount of dedicated training, swinging around a double bladed short sword can be pretty damn dangerous to the swinger.

Quote Originally Posted by shane45 View Post
    Ill venture a guess while we wait for the actual answer. Im guessing he found that without a fair amount of dedicated training, swinging around a double bladed short sword can be pretty damn dangerous to the swinger.
    Yup.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Site Supporter
    The very, very limited sword training I have had included bracing the back of the blade. Double edge would eliminate this possibility. If I want to cut in the opposite direction, rotating my wrists is simple enough. I would prefer a single edged sword.

Site Supporter
    @Trooper224

Have you checked out any of Matt Easton's Scholagladiatoria videos on YouTube? He seems pretty derp free, would you consider him a decent source for folks like myself who don't know what we don't know about swords and sword fighting?

Link: https://m.youtube.com/user/scholagladiatoria

One of his favorite words is context. The context of a gladius is it was developed to be used with a shield in formation with other soldiers. I'm personally drawn to the cutlass because it was designed to be used one handed by guys on foot in close quarters against unarmored or lightly armored opponents. I really like the hand protection they provide (gladius users had a shield for this) Also, since this is Pistol forum they (and longer sabers) were often used as a back up to a pistol.
    Last edited by Caballoflaco; 05-31-2017 at 11:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Caballoflaco View Post
    @Trooper224

Have you checked out any of Matt Easton's Scholagladiatoria videos on YouTube? He seems pretty derp free, would you consider him a decent source for folks like myself who don't know what we don't know about swords and sword fighting?

Link: https://m.youtube.com/user/scholagladiatoria

One of his favorite words is context. The context of a gladius is it was developed to be used with a shield in formation with other soldiers. I'm personally drawn to the cutlass because it was designed to be used one handed by guys on foot in close quarters against unarmored or lightly armored opponents. I really like the hand protection they provide (gladius users had a shield for this) Also, since this is Pistol forum they (and longer sabers) were often used as a back up to a pistol.
    Matt's a pretty good dude and very knowledgeable. In the category of sword guys on Youtube, I'd consider him one of the best.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

I've shared this one before.......

..... but since I just had some work done on it, I thought I'd do so again.

I returned it to the manufacturer, Albion Swords, to have a half-wire wrap added to the grip. This is a feature commonly seen on swords of the late 15th-early 16th centuries, specifically on swords of German origin. Albion didn't offer this option when I bought the sword. I've always regretted that, but didn't want to pay the shipping to send this big boy back and forth. Well, I guess I just got tired of wishing it were so and finally did it. I think it really takes the sword to another level aesthetically. Kudos to Albion for turning it around in twenty four hours.

We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

Were you using that sword to trim that funny looking plant behind you?

What's the purpose (outside of aesthetics) of the half wire wrap, if any?

P.S.: it's beautiful work on a beautiful sword.
    Last edited by Wondering Beard; 09-27-2017 at 10:31 AM.
    " La rose est sans pourquoi, elle fleurit parce qu’elle fleurit ; Elle n’a souci d’elle-même, ne demande pas si on la voit. » Angelus Silesius
    "There are problems in this universe for which there are no answers." Paul Muad'dib

Wire wrap is supposed to be "grippier" than straight leather, especially when the pommel or your hands are wet (sweat/blood). That work is fabulously spectacular, I'm extremely jealous!

Quote Originally Posted by Trooper224 View Post
    Matt's a pretty good dude and very knowledgeable. In the category of sword guys on Youtube, I'd consider him one of the best.
    I had missed this exchange earlier, but stumbled onto Matts videos in general looking around. He has several vids about basic beginner movements and exercises to get the sword muscles in shape and get a feel for basic movements. May be some good places to look for those just
    starting out messing with swords. I'm finding it helps my shoulder and back rehab somewhat. More interesting and fun than colored rubber bands.

User Tag List