Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: .45 ACP ????

Site Supporter

.45 ACP ????

Quote Originally Posted by ca survivor View Post
    I'm not that sophisticated for a case gauge, have a simple setup, thanks anyway others have helped already.
    A case gauge is stupid simple - and can be had for under $15. It will provide far more immediate diagnostic information than questions, guessing, and buying random dies/parts.

If it fits in a min. gauge: https://www.midwayusa.com/product/17...e-gauge-45-acp it should fit in any in-spec chamber.

If it fails in a min. gauge but passes a max gauge : https://www.amazon.com/Lyman-Reloadi...e+length+gauge it's good to go for plinking in guns that don't have tight/match chambers.
    Last edited by jeep45238; 04-30-2017 at 10:55 AM.

?
    Both of those are labeled Maximum Cartridge Gauges.
    If everything really is to SAAMI spec - and you might be surprised to see what isn't covered and what isn't to spec even when it is - a minimum chamber will accept a maximum cartridge.
    But then a $15-$22 gauge is going to introduce its own set of manufacturing tolerances.
    Most of the "tight match chambers" on the market are really undersize. SAAMI spec for .45 ACP and .45 ACP match chambers are THE SAME. Naturally a conscientious manufacturer will hold to the low end of tolerance, but it is so tempting to make them just a little smaller and maybe gain a little accuracy for the advertising.

I'm too lazy today to take the other guns barrels out to check
    If you cannot be bothered to make such a simple and FREE check as the "plunk test" in what appears to be your smallest chamber, you are going to be hard to help.
    Code Name: JET STREAM

^^^ The plunk test Jim mentioned is as follows.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s80P2j02YnM

I don't have any cartridge gauges, but check the loads in my guns when trying new loads. The other mentioned things to look for on cartridges that don't chamber freely also give useful info.

Site Supporter
    You can find max and min gauges, as there are always tolerances in manufacturing and dimensions. I stick to min, so I know it'll run in anything. The barrel works fine if you don't want to spend the money (mine does 100 at a time, and is way faster than a barrel for quantities).

Either way, a gauge or barrel, with a sharpie to find the right spot and help diagnose the problem, are invaluable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Site Supporter
    I like the Lee 4 die sets. Even at the expense of losing a die station on my progressive, an improperly crimped round is probably why your ammo isnt feeding.

What are your crimp measurements?

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Hambo View Post
    Are you taper crimping them? If not, that might be the answer.
    yep, I'm looking into ordering a taper crimp die, what bugs me is that it same load, even reloaded on the same day, functions in the 1911s and I was wrong it works in the 220 also, but not in the HK .45C, Shield .45 or the XDS, maybe is a Polymer thing

The solution to chambering problems is to determine the cause:
    Take the barrel out of the gun. Drop rounds in until you find one that won't chamber. Take that round and "paint" the bullet and case black with Magic Marker or other marker. Drop round in barrel (or gage) and rotate it back-and-forth a few times.
    Remove and inspect the round:
    1) Scratches in the ink on bullet--COL is too long
    2) Scratches in the ink on edge of the case mouth--insufficient crimp
    3) Scratches in the ink just below the case mouth--too much crimp, you're crushing the case
    4) Scratches in the ink on case at base of bullet--bullet seated crooked due to insufficient case expansion (not case mouth flare) or improper seating stem fit
    5) Scratches in the ink on case just above extractor groove--case bulge not removed during sizing. May need a bulge buster.

I've had this problem too with HK USPs compared to 1911s, using lead bullets (that are sized 0.001-.002" larger than bore size)...

Did as noylj recommended above to solve it.

Quote Originally Posted by ca survivor View Post
    I've reloading for many years, recently I discovered that my reloads for the .45ACP that work perfect in Colts 1911 S&W 1911 or Kimber, will not work on HK .45, Shield .45, Sig 220 or any newly manufacture .45 ACP gun, by not working I mean the guns is out of battery load will not go fully in. Apparently these new guns have tighter chambers?
    I think the XD-45 was my first departure from 1911s and I experienced the exact same thing and I never did anything scientific but presume the chambers are just less promiscuous. If you just plunk test one of the 1911 barrels next to one of the cranky pistols it should probably be obvious.

I also had a bunch of AMERC casings and they are problematic, for years I loaded 200g SWC bullets and shot them in various 1911s with no issue. Then I switched to longer bullets (the SWC is also a problem in the XD) and started having a buttload of problems like you describe. Recently I even had issues with the (IMO) more tolerant 1911 and bought a Lee Factory Crimp Die and ran the AMERC loads through them. It sizes the exterior of the loaded cartridge as a double check at the end of the process and all of the fat AMERCs cycled fine. So I figured I would just switch my sizing die and not worry about it but in practice the rounds drag on the way in and out of the crimp die and was clunky on the 650.

At this point I think I am just going to get a case of beer and sort out all of those AMERC cases.

let me know if you need help sorting the cases out and specially help with the beer but with a all that beer we might end up throwing all the cases back together again LOL

User Tag List