Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: .45 ACP ????

.45 ACP ????

I've reloading for many years, recently I discovered that my reloads for the .45ACP that work perfect in Colts 1911 S&W 1911 or Kimber, will not work on HK .45, Shield .45, Sig 220 or any newly manufacture .45 ACP gun, by not working I mean the guns is out of battery load will not go fully in. Apparently these new guns have tighter chambers, or my reloading dies are worn out ? LOL any suggestions of a re-sizing die that is tighter ?

thanks C S

Site Supporter
    Are you sure it's a dia problem and not a seating depth problem?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Not terribly exotic, I know, but I use the Lee 4 die set. I have had no issues feeding my P220 or P227 with the resulting ammo, and fed a Springfield 1911 before that. No experience with H&K or Shield, sorry.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by ca survivor View Post
    I've reloading for many years, recently I discovered that my reloads for the .45ACP that work perfect in Colts 1911 S&W 1911 or Kimber, will not work on HK .45, Shield .45, Sig 220 or any newly manufacture .45 ACP gun, by not working I mean the guns is out of battery load will not go fully in. Apparently these new guns have tighter chambers, or my reloading dies are worn out ? LOL any suggestions of a re-sizing die that is tighter ?

thanks C S
    Dies rarely "wear out" so that's not a likely issue. As mentioned, it may be an overall length (OAL) problem or it may be that you have a throat (transition area from chamber mouth to rifling) that is incompatible with the bullet design you're using. Try sizing a case and then run it through your crimp die without a bullet seated. Try it and see if the slide will close and lock. If it does, you have part of the answer. If you can't get the bullets you're trying to use seated short enough for function, then you either have to go with a design similar to factory ammo or get a competent gunsmith to alter your throat. If you need one, I have one that does a great job and will get you his contact info.

Another possibility is that you're using a bullet that is slightly larger in diameter than factory and therefore the loaded round mouth diameter is too large for the chamber mouth/throat area.
    Last edited by Wayne Dobbs; 04-29-2017 at 09:56 AM.
    Regional Government Sales Manager for Aimpoint, Inc. USA
    Co-owner Hardwired Tactical Shooting (HiTS)

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Dobbs View Post
    Dies rarely "wear out" so that's not a likely issue. As mentioned, it may be an overall length (OAL) problem or it may be that you have a throat (transition area from chamber mouth to rifling) that is incompatible with the bullet design you're using. Try sizing a case and then run it through your crimp die without a bullet seated. Try it and see if the slide will close and lock. If it does, you have part of the answer. If you can't get the bullets you're trying to use seated short enough for function, then you either have to go with a design similar to factory ammo or get a competent gunsmith to alter your throat. If you need one, I have one that does a great job and will get you his contact info.

Another possibility is that you're using a bullet that is slightly larger in diameter than factory and therefore the loaded round mouth diameter is too large for the chamber mouth/throat area.

Very good analysis. If the bullet is engaging the rifling in the throat, it may show on the bullet of the ejected round after trying to close the slide.

You may also see marks on the case if the complete round is too fat to chamber. Trying to chamber the same round several times may give better marks on the case to aid diagnosis.

Quote Originally Posted by jeep45238 View Post
    Are you sure it's a dia problem and not a seating depth problem?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I'm sitting at the same length as the factory rounds, 230 RN FMJ, by testing with a smaller overall length, as another member suggested, it works at least on the Shield, I'm too lazy today to take the other guns barrels out to check LOL and would like to load and test some rounds with a lower starting load first. my thanks to you and all.

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    Not terribly exotic, I know, but I use the Lee 4 die set. I have had no issues feeding my P220 or P227 with the resulting ammo, and fed a Springfield 1911 before that. No experience with H&K or Shield, sorry.
    good idea, I might buy and try a Lee resizing die only.

Without measurements and case gauge data, not much we can do to help you.
    #RESIST

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    Without measurements and case gauge data, not much we can do to help you.
    I'm not that sophisticated for a case gauge, have a simple setup, thanks anyway others have helped already.

Are you taper crimping them? If not, that might be the answer.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

User Tag List