Page 16 of 17 FirstFirst ... 614151617 LastLast

Thread: Rimfire pic thread.

Site Supporter
    Stretching my Tikka out to 325 last summer. I had to dial in 10 mils of elevation, the drop is 19 feet with subsonic ammo if memory serves me correctly.

I stopped by my buddy's place last week and had a couple hours on the range with his kids, just plinking and having fun.

His kids had the usual new shooter lean back, moving gun/head at the same time trying to find a dot, etc. I grabbed the TX22 with the same can on it, and we all just had a blast, and they were all running the dot and ringing steel faster than they ever had before. I'm pretty sure that was the first day Marcus shot a pistol past 20 or so yards (he started seated for a 50 yard C zone steel). It was an awesome day, apparently they're asking when I'm stopping by on a semi-regular basis now.

I have had a hankering for a TD 10/22 for several years, and this thread doesn't help.

This Marlin 60 was my first gun. My dad bought it in the late 80's and left it with me when he left mom and I. Dad wasn't a gun guy, but often our Saturday visits consisted of breaking some glass Coke bottles at one of his construction sites (dad has been a heavy equipment operator all my life) with the Marlin. I still remember the sleeve of Mini-Mags sitting in the cargo compartment of his truck door. Back then the rifle had one of those little 4x15 Tasco airgun-type scopes on it. I really struggled to see through it as a kid and for a time dad took it off.

When I hit college and started working part-time at a gun shop I began to learn more and replaced the little Tasco with a Simmons 22 MAG 3-9x32. Wow, that was a huge upgrade. Over the years I grew to hate this little Marlin. It wasn't as cool as my buddies' 10/22's and CZ's. I actually sold it once, but nostalgia got the better of me and I quickly bought it back. In an effort to enjoy using it I put it through the wringer by installing Tech Sights, then to a Vintage Leupold 4X, then back to another junk airgun scope and just pushed to the back of the safe.

Earlier this year I began to think of reviving it to see what I could make it do. I got a great deal on this Leupold Freedom Rimfire 3-9x33 and it included Warne rimfire rings. I like those rings quite a bit. In the process of sighting in the gun, I found it to be as accurate as ever (pretty good actually), but the trigger just about as atrocious as ever too!

Funny/Dangerous story about the super-heavy trigger on this gun: On one of my 5 or 6 y/o outings with dad, I thought I'd shot the gun empty. Dad said, "I don't think so." Me being 5 or 6 and not at the time grasping the concept of it being a LSHO model and/or using the charing handing to check the chamber, I just pointed it at the ground right beside my food and said, "See!" while mashing the trigger as hard as I could...well you can guess it went off and to this day I remember the fear of "Holy Crap I almost put a hole in my foot!"

Anyway, I began to research Marlin 60 trigger jobs. I've got a 10/22 trigger currently at Brimstone for a Tier 2 and wasn't above something similar for my Marlin, but it doesn't seem to exist. So, I threw down my $30 to M-CARBO for their spring kit. I just installed it today and oh man what a difference! I don't have a trigger scale to measure, but being mainly an AR guy I have $250 Geissele triggers and understand the difference between good and bad triggers. When I finished installing the kit and dry-fired the gun I figured I must've forgotten to hook a spring or something. The trigger broke so lightly and cleanly. Well, I put 2 rounds in the magazine and gave it a shot. HOLY SMOKES! It just really is that good of a trigger (and even moreso considering from whence it came)!

Gratuitous pic of the rifle:

Food Court Apprentice
    Semper Paratus certified AR15 armorer

Glamor shot of my 452 in .22lr, cut to 16" and threaded. Not using the can on this particular squirrel hunt.

Food Court Apprentice

This thread needs a bump.

Bicentennial Standard
    Name:  IMG_5585 (2).jpg
Views: 502
Size:  101.5 KB
    Name:  IMG_5587 (2).jpg
Views: 504
Size:  65.7 KB

MKIV Lite 22/45
    Name:  IMG_5588.jpg
Views: 510
Size:  100.9 KB

New MKIV Standard that will see it's inaugural range trip tomorrow. I've also got a NIB 6" upper for it that will be going as well. It showed up on the Volquartsen clearance page for $50 shipped a day or two after I ordered this.
    Name:  IMG_5590 (2).jpg
Views: 507
Size:  100.9 KB
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

Name:  Mamba with flag.jpg
Views: 480
Size:  76.4 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Totem Polar View Post
    Looks like there may be yet another little club on P-F.
    Quote Originally Posted by awp_101 View Post
    All those TDs in Magpul stocks are making me reconsider my next 10/22 project...
    It took almost a year to find one at a price I was willing to pay but the enablers finally won out and I ordered a stripped Charger TD receiver this morning. I'll pull the receiver guts from another project that's gathering dust. Not sure if I'll grab someone's take off carbine barrel or just go straight to an aftermarket. Not planning to dump a ton of money into this project (yeah, right ) so I'll probably just go with a take off barrel. More interested in usefulness rather than cool points for this one.

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

This is probably the first handgun I ever fired. It's not the first I remember shooting (that was a US Revolver .38S&W) but I probably "shot" this one first while my grandfather or Dad held it. Iver Johnson Model 55 Target
    Name:  thumbnail_IMG_0609.jpg
Views: 352
Size:  101.3 KB

Name:  thumbnail_IMG_0610.jpg
Views: 343
Size:  59.2 KB

Name:  thumbnail_IMG_0612.jpg
Views: 343
Size:  57.3 KB

Took it out yesterday for the first time in I don't know how long. The 3 in the upper left were sighters, the group left of the 10 was the first group (a mix of DA and SA) and the group left of the 9 was the second group (all SA). Even though it's a DA revolver your best bet for accuracy is to fire it SA because you can't see or use the rear sight when the hammer is down.

Name:  thumbnail_IMG_0613.jpg
Views: 349
Size:  39.6 KB

Now I need another rimfire can

Name:  C43F91C3-BE88-4882-AC07-4042AD852D29.jpg
Views: 244
Size:  95.1 KB
    Food Court Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by ASH556 View Post
    Name:  C43F91C3-BE88-4882-AC07-4042AD852D29.jpg
Views: 244
Size:  95.1 KB
    That SBR looks like a ridiculous amount of fun.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

Quote Originally Posted by HeavyDuty View Post
    That SBR looks like a ridiculous amount of fun.
    Yes! It's way overbuilt too with a Larue trigger and Surefire M300. I've considered replacing the Romeo with a T1, but can't quite justify it. I prefer the Aimpoint rheostat and durability, but the reality is this mostly gets used for kids, with a little backyard pest control mixed in, so no real need.
    Food Court Apprentice

User Tag List