Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shooting Competition After Heart Surgery

Shooting Competition After Heart Surgery

Anyone on P-F ever have open heart surgery (double bypass), or know someone who has had that surgery?

If so, can you provide any ideas on how long it was before you (or the person you know) was able to resume shooting USPSA/IDPA matches?

Thanks in advance for any feedback.

It will depend on multiple factors because the recovery, as well as preexisting factors, are very individual. Those patients of mine who were in excellent physical shape and needed a bypass (this does happen more often than people think), who have not suffered much of heart muscle loss and whose bypass went smoothly, were back to a full tilt workouts at 10 - 12 weeks. Average shape men feel near normal at 3 months. Besides overall recovery from surgery, blood loss, reengagement of lungs etc, there is a requirement to let the sternum heal, and that implies no significant tension. Some surgeons hold you back for a month, some for two, depending on patient and surgeon. I personally tell my patients to concentrate on aerobic recovery first, muscle recovery later, and I suggest to push shooting back by 3-6 months.
    Doesn't read posts longer than two paragraphs.

Site Supporter
    1911Nut,

I had a heart attack and open heart surgery (4 bypasses) in late January 1993. I was 46. It hurt.

I don’t know if surgeons use the same procedure now, but the doctor grafted a vein harvested from my leg on to my heart. My leg ended up hurting more than the chest.

Took me about 2-3 months to get physically comfortable and a lot longer to get confident. I participated in doctor prescribed physical therapy for about 12 weeks, and continued working out after that. It was hard to walk or use bike machines because my leg hurt. I mostly swam.

I shot a GSSF match at Rio Salado in Mesa, Arizona that spring (March or April) and did OK. I don’t remember having any physical limitations other than moving slower. No problems with my arms or chest muscles in bringing the gun up to a shooting position. Had to go to the ground on one stage, and was able to push myself up after. So, I think I was physically fine by then. I do remember being tired driving home afterward, but nothing unusual.

But, it took me about another 6 months to be confident in myself again.
    Last edited by wrmettler; 04-28-2017 at 05:02 PM.

Thanks very much to those who have responded to my inquiry. The information is appreciated and valued.

I concur what YVK had to say. I tell my patients that it takes about 6 weeks for the sternum to heal. I also recommend cardiac rehab if they are deconditioned. Another issue is new medications that might affect their speed (beta blockers) and can cause easy bruising (aspirin and clopidogrel). In the end, focus on healing the body first.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul D View Post
    I concur what YVK had to say. I tell my patients that it takes about 6 weeks for the sternum to heal. I also recommend cardiac rehab if they are deconditioned. Another issue is new medications that might affect their speed (beta blockers) and can cause easy bruising (aspirin and clopidogrel). In the end, focus on healing the body first.
    Interesting topic. I had RF and cryo ablation for persistent a-fib following a viral cardiomyopathy/pneumonia bout I contracted while working on Central American patients. Damn near killed me.

I've been on 12.5mg of Carvedilol bid, since, and always attributed my, "slow down," to just aging. I'm getting to the point now where I can get an adrenaline jag from a jump scare in a film or a traffic hazard. Which is nice. But sprinting/powering through in fights is much harder to do on the BB's.

I was down hard for 2 weeks following my procedure. The pericarditis was pretty painful. And I had to go very slow on lower body workouts/compound movements for about 3 months, due to the muscle spasms/bruising in my groin and inguinals.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Site Supporter
    Nothing for me to add...YVK, PaulD and Dr. House know their stuff.

When the Doc says "resume normal ADLs", it's pretty safe to assume shooting is OK.

I've actually heard of some guys using beta blockers for stage fright...and I think I've read at least one thread on Benos a while ago (sorry no linky) about whether it has effect on match performance.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by 45dotACP View Post
    Nothing for me to add...YVK, PaulD and Dr. House know their stuff.

When the Doc says "resume normal ADLs", it's pretty safe to assume shooting is OK.

I've actually heard of some guys using beta blockers for stage fright...and I think I've read at least one thread on Benos a while ago (sorry no linky) about whether it has effect on match performance.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
    I have heard that high level archers and Olympic small bore shooters are so in tune with their bodies that they can time their shots during diastolic filling. Probably a myth but a beta blocker would be helpful in this situation.

Quote Originally Posted by Sherman A. House DDS View Post

I've been on 12.5mg of Carvedilol bid, since, and always attributed my, "slow down," to just aging. I'm getting to the point now where I can get an adrenaline jag from a jump scare in a film or a traffic hazard. Which is nice. But sprinting/powering through in fights is much harder to do on the BB's.
    Truly feel for you. BBs and high intensity aerobic activities don't jive. Unfortunately, it is usually a long-term thing for cardiomyopathy patients.

Quote Originally Posted by 45dotACP View Post

That is true. I know people who took them before a large audience (several thousands) speeches, and some of Broadway stars have been mentioned in association with this use. Interestingly, there has not been a well defined regimen for that, and some reported a nice response from a single or two doses. This most likely implies a central or a placebo effects, neither of which should affect physical performance.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul D View Post
    I have heard that high level archers and Olympic small bore shooters are so in tune with their bodies that they can time their shots during diastolic filling. Probably a myth but a beta blocker would be helpful in this situation.
    Think we can set our AV nodal ablation patients' v-rate at 45 and tell them go shoot bullseye?
    Doesn't read posts longer than two paragraphs.

Quote Originally Posted by YVK View Post
    Truly feel for you. BBs and high intensity aerobic activities don't jive. Unfortunately, it is usually a long-term thing for cardiomyopathy patients.

That is true. I know people who took them before a large audience (several thousands) speeches, and some of Broadway stars have been mentioned in association with this use. Interestingly, there has not been a well defined regimen for that, and some reported a nice response from a single or two doses. This most likely implies a central or a placebo effects, neither of which should affect physical performance.

Think we can set our AV nodal ablation patients' v-rate at 45 and tell them go shoot bullseye?
    We need feed them midodrine so they won't pass out. I see you've been reading the Journal of American College of Evil Cardiology.

User Tag List