Page 3 of 29 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: What are the BENEFITS of Two Different Trigger Pulls?

What are the BENEFITS of Two Different Trigger Pulls?

Quote Originally Posted by breakingtime91 View Post
    Sounds like you need to go to what the lem was intended to be. Shouldn't be that much to switch your light lem to standard, it will give you all the benifets you talked about and get rid of the light initial take up.

Even just adding a heavy TRS will increase the trigger weight and improve the force of the reset.
    I'm seriously pondering that.

Edit: Or find a used P30 LEM with the heavy TRS. I was messing about with a VP9 15 round mag inserted into my P30SK carried in my MR OWB. To be honest it felt kind of no different than carrying with a 10 rounder.
    Last edited by RJ; 04-28-2017 at 05:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich_Jenkins View Post
    I'm seriously pondering that.

I can pm you my opinion on it if you want, I don't want to derail the thread. The light lem for me, was way too light, adding a heavy TRS would increase the weight to a more "reasonable" level.

Quote Originally Posted by breakingtime91 View Post
    I can pm you my opinion on it if you want, I don't want to derail the thread. The light lem for me, was way too light, adding a heavy TRS would increase the weight to a more "reasonable" level.
    I think I've derailed the thread. I'm certainly feverishly undoing lug nuts, that's for sure.

Thanks, any input would be useful, although from my scant 500 rounds so far I'm pretty sure I would 'prefer' a bit heavier initial press.

The first post here is an excellent summary of the pros and cons of different trigger systems: https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....t-trigger-quot

In a nutshell, DA/SA has some advantages as a "people management" tool as opposed to a pure shooting tool.

Thanks, appreciate it.

The two main points seemed to be:

- Longer trigger travel = Safer
    - Riding the hammer into the holster with your thumb = Safer

Also, Chris' article led me here:

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....ll=1#post73009

Should be enough there to keep me busy for a while.

Rich good luck with whatever project you are doing that is keeping you, "Busy."

I know you know this but new folks might read what you wrote and gloss over it. No matter where you come down on this topic the key word at best is, "safER" not "Safe." Why ND's happen should still be thought about and good procedures put in place even if you have a 14# DAO trigger. Guns have been going bang at the wrong time long before Strikers, LEM, etc were ever made.
    What you do right before you know you're going to be in a use of force incident, often determines the outcome of that use of force.

I think I've derailed the thread. I'm certainly feverishly undoing lug nuts, that's for sure.

Thanks, any input would be useful, although from my scant 500 rounds so far I'm pretty sure I would 'prefer' a bit heavier initial press.
    I did the same with a light lem and then switched it after talking to JodyH. I do not like any trigger where I don't get tactile feedback, the light lem was too light in my opinion to get sufficient feedback during the press. Some people like really light triggers, I do not. If I am putting a shot into anything or anyone I want to feel my trigger as I work it, light triggers do not give that to me.

I prefer the smoothness of the trigger and a crisp break. It is hard to get it right but for me, big difference in shooting a good tda trigger over striker. I like that long pull for my first shot I also love having a hammer for riding her in a holster. Having a good light sa for follow up shots is also awesome. I decock every time I am off target. It has become very natural for me. I also never take my first shot sa. When I load it and rack in that first round I always decock and holster. It is all just a part of training. I also like to just run a few strings of da to sa, decock and repeat. Esp. On a new gun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Site Supporter
    Here's my (admittedly oversimplified) take on it:

Striker Fired: Medium accuracy all the time / not particularly safe when carrying one in the chamber

Double Action Only:
    Low accuracy all the time / very safe when carrying

Double Action / Single Action:
    Low accuracy on the first shot; high accuracy on all other shots (or if you cock the hammer) / very safe when carrying decocked

I feel like people are expecting to experience zero change in accuracy from DA to SA. That expectation runs contrary to the intent of the system, in my mind. The DA pull is your safety. It's not meant for accuracy; it's not meant to shoot as well as SA. It's meant to let you safely carry a round in the chamber, and get off a close-range shot in a hurry (in which case you don't need accuracy). Otherwise, I think of it as an SA gun. In SA, you generally have greater access to accuracy and precision than you do with most striker fired triggers. I feel like the conversation often overlooks this aspect of the system.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by MattyD380 View Post
    Here's my (admittedly oversimplified) take on it:

Striker Fired: Medium accuracy all the time / not particularly safe when carrying one in the chamber

Double Action Only:
    Low accuracy all the time / very safe when carrying

Double Action / Single Action:
    Low accuracy on the first shot; high accuracy on all other shots (or if you cock the hammer) / very safe when carrying decocked

I feel like people are expecting to experience zero change in accuracy from DA to SA. That expectation runs contrary to the intent of the system, in my mind. The DA pull is your safety. It's not meant for accuracy; it's not meant to shoot as well as SA. It's meant to let you safely carry a round in the chamber, and get off a close-range shot in a hurry (in which case you don't need accuracy). Otherwise, I think of it as an SA gun. In SA, you generally have greater access to accuracy and precision than you do with most striker fired triggers. I feel like the conversation often overlooks this aspect of the system.

Actually I find the First shot to be just fine in DA/SA. It's the follow up shots I have to work on. DAO like the DAK/LEM may be slower, but can be shot a a fast enough rate accurately. As I have said before, I am the odd guy here who prefers DAK to LEM and SF. My only complaint is the DAK was not put into the P250.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by TheNewbie View Post
    Actually I find the First shot to be just fine in DA/SA. It's the follow up shots I have to work on. DAO like the DAK/LEM may be slower, but can be shot a a fast enough rate accurately. As I have said before, I am the odd guy here who prefers DAK to LEM and SF. My only complaint is the DAK was not put into the P250.
    I guess it goes to show you every shooter is different. I guess that's why there are different guns, with different options.

I can carve out ragged holes no problem in SA. In DA... I get within a few inches. And I figure, "Cool. That's what it's for."

I've never tried the DAK. I hear good things. Had an LEM for a while. It was okay. I liked it better than a striker, but still prefer pure SA capability.
    Last edited by MattyD380; 04-28-2017 at 07:02 PM.

User Tag List