Page 2 of 29 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: What are the BENEFITS of Two Different Trigger Pulls?

Quote Originally Posted by JustOneGun View Post
    There a lot of threads covering TDA vs. Striker vs. LEM. For a new person I would advise reading them. Some of them really break down the nuances to a minute level. Reading them will certainly allow a person to make an informed decision if you're are inclined to change. I'm not sure there are any concrete answers there. Just what you believe.

One thing I think is often over looked but was mentioned here, what a high level competition shooter can do and what I can do are two different things. And what I can do certainly isn't what a newbie can do. So where each person is in their development could make a drastic difference in what they decide for a platform. Once a person has made the easy gains and is on the point of lessening returns then what pistol is used doesn't matter that much.

Perhaps what a person is using the pistol for will change that idea also? I always like to look at the differences of competition and self defense, not as a difference of skill but a difference of grading. When comparing shootings the grading of self defense is usually extremely front loaded. Competition gets graded from first to last bullet. As someone else said, that's probably more drastic for a newer person.
    Well said.

This may be the answer.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich_Jenkins View Post
    Second context: Subject one has been engaged, and will no longer be a threat. Your information is that there is a second subject, who now appears. You are at low ready, still. Would you not want to have the same heavy pull, to give you that same margin of safety?
    Decock.

Once I'm off the threat, I decock.

When you shoot someone with a rifle or shotgun, you manipulate the safety back to "safe" once you're off the target. With a TDA, you decock.

Ok I think I am getting something.
    For the sake of furthering the discussion, I think another way to say that a DA allows you to get more aggressive on the trigger, is that DA requires you to get more aggressive on the trigger. I'm not trying to hate on DA/SA, because I think it's a fine system, but that's another way to say the same thing IMHO.

There appears to be a distinction between the utility of a heavy trigger press "on the draw" as opposed to utility of a lighter trigger press "at low ready" (for lack of something better than "not on the draw")?
    I think you are going to find an emphasis in modern defensive handgun training on decocking around the time we decide that the threat doesn't need to be shot anymore right now. So in your examples, the gun *should* be decocked.
    Last edited by Mr_White; 04-28-2017 at 04:33 PM. Reason: tried to be a little more precise
    Technical excellence supports tactical preparedness
    Lord of the Food Court
    http://www.gabewhitetraining.com

Agree with above. Once you come off target, decock. Even to low or high ready.
    Shoot more, post less...

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_White View Post
    For the sake of furthering the discussion, I think another way to say that a DA allows you to get more aggressive on the trigger, is that DA requires you to get more aggressive on the trigger. I'm not trying to hate on DA/SA, because I think it's a fine system, but that's another way to say the same thing IMHO.

I think you are going to find an emphasis in modern defensive handgun training on decocking around the time we decide that the threat doesn't need to be shot anymore right now. So in your examples, the gun *should* be decocked.
    PREACH MR WHITE 👍

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Rather than reinvent the wheel, I'll refer you to this article: http://www.luckygunner.com/lounge/wh...double-action/

If you've got any specific questions afterward, I (and several others, likely) will chime in.

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    Rather than reinvent the wheel, I'll refer you to this article: http://www.luckygunner.com/lounge/wh...double-action/

If you've got any specific questions afterward, I (and several others, likely) will chime in.
    Thanks, appreciate it.

The two main points seemed to be:

- Longer trigger travel = Safer
    - Riding the hammer into the holster with your thumb = Safer

Also, Chris' article led me here:

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....ll=1#post73009

Should be enough there to keep me busy for a while.

Thanks, appreciate it.

The two main points seemed to be:

- Longer trigger travel = Safer
    - Riding the hammer into the holster with your thumb = Safer

Also, Chris' article led me here:

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....ll=1#post73009

Should be enough there to keep me busy for a while.
    LEM is, in my opinion, very similar to DA/SA. You don't get the easier to shoot SA but you do get the safety aspects that people prop up for DA/SA. Especially if you don't use the light lem.. interested to hear your thoughts since your a newer LEM user.
    Last edited by breakingtime91; 04-28-2017 at 05:12 PM.

What are the BENEFITS of Two Different Trigger Pulls?

Quote Originally Posted by breakingtime91 View Post
    LEM is, in my opinion, very similar to DA/SA. You don't get the easier to shoot SA but you do get the safety aspects that people prop up for DA/SA. Especially if you don't use the light lem.. interested to hear your thoughts since your a newer LEM user.
    I'll be honest and say I didn't want to be the first to use the "L" word.

But since you asked...

I arrived at having a SFA as a training gun and a Light LEM as a carry gun by an unfortunate combination of my lack of experience, as well as severe case of Dunning Kruger.

On my VP9, I like: the short, crisp SA trigger, every time. I don't like the lack of a hammer to thumb, and the 0.24" trigger travel. (For carry, that is). It's also about 1/2" too high for me.

On the P30SK V1, I like: the hammer, as well as the consistent longer (1") trigger travel. I do not like the lightness of the initial part of the travel to the wall, and carrying 10+1 could be, well, better.

If I could take the VP9, and combine it with the P30SK LEM "for me", it would be:

- 5.0" high and accept USPc magazines
    - Have a heavier travel (I.e. be a LEM, but be the opposite of Light LEM, whatever that is.

A P2000 or USPc would be close.

I've shot both. I like them both. I'm hesitant because I'm not a fan of the square Grip profile (admitting this was from 1 box of ammo, each) and I like the big mag release paddles on the VP9/P30.

In my situation, until I get further along the proficiency curve (say, USPSA B in Production) I'm fine with using my VP9 to learn to shoot, and will continue to carry my P30SK.

But:

If HK ever brought out a P30c LEM, I would trade both in for one, possibly two, of those.
    Last edited by RJ; 04-28-2017 at 05:44 PM.

I'll be honest and say I didn't want to be the first to use the "L" word.

But since you asked...

I arrived at having a SFA as a training gun and a Light LEM as a carry gun by an unfortunate combination of my lack of experience, as well as severe case of Dunning Kruger.

On my VP9, I like: the short, crisp SA trigger, every time. I don't like the lack of a hammer to thumb, and the 0.24" trigger travel. (For carry, that is). It's also about 1/2" too high for me.

On the P30SK V1, I like: the hammer, as well as the consistent longer (1") trigger travel. I do not like the lightness of the initial part of the travel to the wall, and carrying 10+1 could be, well, better.

If I could take the VP9, and combine it with the P30SK LEM "for me", it would be:

- 5.0" high and accept USPc magazines
    - Have a heavier travel
    - Be a LEM

A P2000 or USPc would be close.

I've shot both. I like them both. I'm hesitant because I'm not a fan of the Grip profile (admitting this was from 1 box of ammo, each) and I like the big mag release paddles on the VP9/P30.

In my situation, until I get further along the proficiency curve (say, USPSA B in Production) I'm fine with using my VP9 to learn to shoot, and will continue to carry my P30SK.

But:

If HK ever brought out a P30c LEM, I would trade both in for one, possibly two, of those.
    Sounds like you need to go to what the lem was intended to be. Shouldn't be that much to switch your light lem to standard, it will give you all the benifets you talked about and get rid of the light initial take up.

Even just adding a heavy TRS will increase the trigger weight and improve the force of the reset.
    Last edited by breakingtime91; 04-28-2017 at 05:46 PM.

User Tag List