Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: .22LR Pistol for DA/SA (Sig) Primary

.22LR Pistol for DA/SA (Sig) Primary

Hi all,

Wife and I usually carry and shoot with DA/SA pistols, namely Sig Sauer P226 & P229.

We were looking to add some .22LR Semi-Auto pistols as trainer pistols (and supplement regular shooter to reduce long-term ammo costs).

I was looking at the Browning Buck Marks or Ruger Mark III/IV series...though wife was concerned about the single-action being different from the DA/SA we're used to.

If limited to DA/SA, I believe the best choices left would be the Ruger SR22 or Walther P22...which are more or less equivalent to each other.

For you DA/SA users out there...any thoughts regarding the impact of using the SA .22LR vs a DA/SA .22LR pistol?
    Last edited by jlieu; 06-17-2017 at 05:34 PM.

Why not a Sig .22 top end for your centerfire P series pistols?
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Site Supporter
    My understanding is that the uppers are being discontinued and the only way to get one is buy a .22 226 or hold out for a used one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't have a very high opinion of the Walther P22, so of the two you mentioned, the Ruger gets my vote. But neither is very good for a trainer for a full size gun. SR22 makes a cool plinker for sure, but it's small size limits it's value as a 22 trainer for a big gun, at least, that was my experience when I tried this very thing 5 or so years ago.

I shoot Berettas, and I bought o e of their 22 top ends. That worked pretty well. I'd say stick with the 22/45, and learn the DA pull in dry fire and by focusing on it when you shoot the main gun.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Why not a Sig .22 top end for your centerfire P series pistols?
    I thought that too...in fact, I also thought of getting a .40 S&W slide & barrel as well. Turns out, wife hates conversions.

She told me if I wanted a .40 S&W, I needed to go buy a dedicated .40 S&W.

In any case, so now we're back on the .22 predicament, haha.

Quote Originally Posted by jlieu View Post
    I thought that too...in fact, I also thought of getting a .40 S&W slide & barrel as well. Turns out, wife hates conversions.

She told me if I wanted a .40 S&W, I needed to go buy a dedicated .40 S&W.

In any case, so now we're back on the .22 predicament, haha.
    It is very important to listen to your wife, except when it is very important not to.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    It is very important to listen to your wife, except when it is very important not to.
    Haha. It may be a trap though...

Quote Originally Posted by jlieu View Post
    Haha. It may be a trap though...
    Damned if you do, damned if you don't. Sometimes you might as well give her a reason if she's just going to be pissed off at you...

Sent from mah smertfone using tapathingy

I love my Ruger SR22, but my Beretta M9-22 sees more action these days. No worries, the kid has claimed the SR22 as his already.
    Rules to live by: 1. Eat meat, 2. Shoot guns, 3. Fire, 4. Gasoline, 5. Make juniors
    TDA: Learn it. Live it. Love it.... Read these: People Management Triggers 1, 2, 3
    If anyone sees a broken image of mine, please PM me.

User Tag List