Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Week 214: Sweet Sixteen

Beretta m9, d spring
    All shots DA

Start 10 yards
    Furthest hit 16 yards

I was struggling with DA today. I pretty much had misses at every distance. Compared to the ny1/(-) connector 17 i was pretty bad. I certainly need to work on my Tda ability more. I had to really focus on every aspect of fundamentals, particularly grip and trigger control to get the hit at 16. If i was at all lax in my grip i would pull it hard right, if i tried to plow through the shot same result. I'm still waiting on my vertec grips to get back from my stipple guy so the bigger more round factory grips are a bit large for my taste, and i definitely prefer the flatter thinner grip the vertecs offer. The fixed front sucks too as it's not very defined as compared to Heinies etc... that I'm used too. But in the end it can all be shot better than I'm currently doing with it and it's up to me to put in the work to improve. The rest is just excuses.

Did this one today too, good one for tbe indoor range. I only had white targets and white cards, so I had to improvise by cutting up an ammo box - the large face of a 50-rd box is really close to 3x5, FYI.

Started at 5.
    Made it to 16.

Had misses at 12, 14, and then a couple trying to get 17.

I started losing the target visually as I approached 15 yards. It's smaller than my sights and lighting varied with distance as it was either in or out of the bars of lighting as it ran back.

--Josh
    “Formerly we suffered from crimes; now we suffer from laws.” - Tacitus.

Started at 10, last hit at 20. Glock 17 Gen 4. Missed the very first shot, didn't note my other misses but they were spread out pretty evenly. I really liked this drill, helped me dial in my grip and trigger control while bringing more variety than just shooting dots at 7 yards or something. I'd never shot at an actual white 3x5 card before, gives you a very clear sight picture! (At the indoor range I shoot at most of the time, I can only use their targets, so I use a stencil and a Sharpie to make 3x5s.)

With that first run, noticed I was hitting a bit high overall. (My other misses were low, poor trigger control, but the target wasn't clean so they are not shown.) I'd just changed out my front sight before this session and (apparently) didn't quite have my zero right. Shot a few more groups at 25 to confirm then dropped my rear sight a few clicks and ran the drill again. Started at 10, last hit at 22. One miss at 18, two misses at 23.

Biggest thing I noticed this time around was the risk of waiting too long for the perfect sight picture and not pulling the trigger confidently. That's what happened with my first miss at 18. I was then extra careful with my next shot but it was nearly out, the one on the right. Realized what was going on and for my next shot at 19, made sure to pull straight through when the sight picture was acceptable and it's one of the three shots touching right in the center.

User Tag List