Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Week 214: Sweet Sixteen

Did a "split" day of shooting - really helps boost overall performance, went back and scouted a deep deep wash with *less* wind.

Started at the 15, made 11 hits so score of 26 - those 2 ultra fliers were my last two shots, I got psychologically compromised when I realized where I was.

Probably going to farm this one, apologies in advance for the slamfire posts.

"I'm checking out, somebody throw me in the trash"

t. Frank Reynolds - IASIP

Site Supporter
    Two guns today. Sig P320 full with Dawson Precision sights and a Sig P320 RX compact with dot.

P320F (best of two runs):
    Starting distance: 10
    Distance of farthest successful hit: 23
    P320RX:
    Starting distance: 10
    Distance of farthest successful hit: 25

Worth noting that I have 3 range sessions on the RX and first one with the flat Greyguns trigger. i spent a lot more time on my P320F that I use for both IDPA and USPSA. Shooting RX for accuracy at distance is much, much easier for me now. The front fiber on the P320F was a fat, ugly blur today. If I were an optimist, my takeaway might be: "If I spend time with the RX I could start off further and eventually crush this drill!". But I'm not, so it's more like: "My eyesight sucks more with each passing day".

Cool drill! It's nice not shooting under time pressure once in a while.

Glock 34
    TTI Sights
    147 grn bayou reloads.

I started at 10 ish yards and ended at 25. I had three misses but never more than 1 in a row. I know the numbers don't match. I went to a terribly lit indoor range that doesn't have the yardage marked. I know the bays are 25 yards and I began at what I guessed was 10 yds. I just moved the target back after each hit. Ended up taking 3 shots a 25.

This was the sole highlight of my live fire. I did it a second time and failed at 25.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Shooting is 90% mental. The rest is in your head." -Nils

PX4CC using 124 gr S&B fmj
    3x5 card positioned horizontally

I started at 5 yards and made it back to 18. I missed once at 16 and twice at 17. I think the last time I ran this drill was the last time it was the drill of the week. I'll end up running it next range session as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    My posts only represent my personal opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of any employer, past or present. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.

Glock 17 gen 3 chopped/stippled with ny1/(-) connector combo, heinie's, gadget
    horizontal 3x5
    starting distance - 10 yards
    final distance with a hit - 22 yards

I started at 10 yards. I had a mike at 16 and 2 mikes at 19. I am very happy with this score, as I had a very bad start to my range session. I used this drill to correct a few things that I found myself doing early on in the session when under watchful eyes and/or time pressure and it definitely showed improvement. I taped about halfway through as to better keep track of hits etc...but I took the picture after the tape was removed so it pulled out some of the hits and is why some of them have no grease ring. All 3 mikes were high, you can see one clipped the very top of the uspsa target and the other two went right over top. I'll definitely be doing this again, especially if i find one of my bad habits creeping into a session, as this kind of lets you reset and just focus on doing everything right without time pressure etc...very good drill.

Smith & Wesson M&P40

Starting distance: 5 yards
    Distance of farthest successful hit: 17 yards

I'm a little disappointed I was only able to make it to 17 yards. I had all three of my misses at the 18 yard line (all low). I was doing pretty good up until then.

20170501_165327_Burst03 by John, on Flickr
    Last edited by jdesro; 05-01-2017 at 09:40 PM.

Lots of good shooting going on in this thread! Nice!!!
    Technical excellence supports tactical preparedness
    Lord of the Food Court
    http://www.gabewhitetraining.com

Observation: The 1911 I shot here shoots the dot at longish ranges with the factory Novak tritium set.

Very quickly past 25 yards I had to basically keep a sliver of card over the front post, firm up left/right and then move just a skosh higher. Had I shot at a horizontal 3.5 I'd been guessing many inches above the card at those distances; with predictable results I'll bet.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

This seemed like fun, but unfortunately I didn't have a 3x5 with me today, so I figured I could just use the upper A as a rough reference and keep them in a 3x5 area. Shot the Walther Q5, DP Pro and my Berry's 124 reloads. Started at 15 and ended up at 30. Interestingly all but 3 shots were in the upper A, but all were in an imaginary 3x5, lame as that was with no card.

Name:  IMG_5740.jpg
Views: 178
Size:  38.4 KB
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

I was at full strength this morning - I had not planned on running this, but I had just shot (4) 25 yard 10 shot timed groups at a repair center B8 and was feeling at my performance apex, so I decided to shoot this starting at the 20.

For me - it went very, very well, I might even go so far as to consider this type of performance a fluke, regardless hits are hits so there it is!

Started at the 20, 11 hits, score of 30 points. Sorry no backer - the cardboard was haggard and wouldn't be very telling.

"I'm checking out, somebody throw me in the trash"

t. Frank Reynolds - IASIP

User Tag List