Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Managerial/ detective level police carry?

Extremely common, Glenn.

Either by office or agency policy (not sure), we're prohibited from using those combo cuff/single mag pouches. I guess the idea behind it is that they're very convenient and if they were allowed then people would be more inclined to only carry 1 reload, instead of two. The real effect is that when doing office days, the "target population" simply carries the gun and badge instead of at least having a reload. Counterproductive, IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Trooper224 View Post
    Our only full time plain clothes types are govenors security. Most of them don't carry anything other than a firearm and maybe a spare mag.
    It's not uncommon for local/state guys* to join us on medium and high threat protective details carrying nothing but a badge and gun. This, on a mission where a good portion of even our not-tacticool/not-gun-guys bring extra mags in their bail-out bag, a full IFAK in addition to the med gear on their person (most carry at least a TQ), etc.

*Except for the NJ State Troopers. Those guys are pretty much always ready to party whenever, wherever.....
    Last edited by TGS; 04-27-2017 at 09:57 PM.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    It's not uncommon for local/state guys* to join us on medium and high threat protective details carrying nothing but a badge and gun. This, on a mission where a good portion of even our not-tacticool/not-gun-guys bring extra mags in their bail-out bag, a full IFAK in addition to the med gear on their person (most carry at least a TQ), etc.
    Years ago, I had to assist the gov. security detail with a local event. I asked the lead man how things were going and he related the following: that morning, a naked woman armed with a pair of scissors had entered the state building through a side entrance, had made it all the way to the Governors office before anyone saw her. He was seated at his desk and the first indication he had was naked Nancy walking through the door with scissors in hand and the Governor about thirty feet away, behind a closed door. Well, he'd left his ASP, pepper spray, cuffs, etc. at home and only had his sidearm. He chose to go hands on with the woman because his only other option was to shoot her. You'd think he learned a lesson, but sadly no. I had to do the dog and pony routine with politicians a lot when I was younger, until we had a female democrat in office. She asked me a question and I hurt her feelings with my answer. That got me out of gov. security detail for the rest of my career.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

Vending Machine Operator
    Plain clothes rig for all the detectives and investigators here is gun, badge, 1 magazine. Usually they have the gun right along with the badge on the dominant hip and the spare on the other side. That's true across agencies.

Off duty policy, I'm pretty sure, is just gun and badge, they don't care what type, how many, or reloads.
    State Government Attorney | Beretta, Glock, CZ & S&W Fan

The term managerial/detective are two distinct separate jobs which can be broken down even further. I've seen all types but I'll try to break it down a bit according to my experience.

Managerial-Administration. These guys are usually logistical people behind the scenes and rarely interacting with the general public. They usually start out with the handcuffs and extra magazines, and maybe even a radio. They lose most of that in less than three months. Why? Meetings. By the time they hear the radio traffic, it's over. I should say though that my current Chief and Captain are usually in full uniform including body armor and that's becoming a little more common in my area.

Managerial-Job Specific. CSI and forensic types. Maybe academy instructors (I know). These guys are someplace that again, takes
    them out of direct public interaction. I rarely see our CSI's with guns to be honest with you. Forensic guys are just as bad. Lots of Fobus and Glock 26's, if there's even a gun. Occasionally a .380 acp!

Detectives-General Investigations. These are your property crime guys and crimes against persons. They are usually in suits or khakis and button up/polo typically with the badge exposed on the belt. A lot of paddle holsters as the guys take them off often while conducting forensic interviews with kids and such. Occasionally, you'll see an extra magazine or a handcuff pouch, but it's rather rare, and often the quality is in the Fobus/Blackhawk price range. But, at least they usually carry radios!

Detectives-Dope/Narcs. These you shouldn't see anything on. Pistol-forum guys should see the occasional bulge or protrusion, but it shouldn't be obvious to the outside world. If your seeing Guns and badges on these guys it should be in their office out of public view. No radios, and usually two cell phones. Lots of Under Armour and Oakleys.

I'm currently working drugs, but my job as a supervisor still keeps me working crimes against persons at least a couple of times a month. Just this Sunday I worked a rape case. I had on my G17 w/Surefire XC1, JMCK AIWB with a spare magazine (CCC), Surefire Delta folder, Leatherman micro, Surefire Titan Plus, neck badge (under my shirt), foldable handcuffs, and a metal bodied pen. I was wearing an untucked polo and khakis. When I'm working dope or other vice type stuff, it depends. I've been outfitted for raids, and naked as a newborn. It's detail specific. I will say that the only time I wouldn't have a full size gun on me is the rare case that I've had to strip down, and in that case I've always had backup.

My wife always wonder why lunches cost more when I'm working drugs. But at least I'm not ingesting as much bodily fluids as the other officers!! There's always a bright side!!
    Last edited by Chipster; 04-27-2017 at 11:18 PM.

Years ago, I had to assist the gov. security detail with a local event. I asked the lead man how things were going and he related the following: that morning, a naked woman armed with a pair of scissors had entered the state building through a side entrance, had made it all the way to the Governors office before anyone saw her. He was seated at his desk and the first indication he had was naked Nancy walking through the door with scissors in hand and the Governor about thirty feet away, behind a closed door. Well, he'd left his ASP, pepper spray, cuffs, etc. at home and only had his sidearm. He chose to go hands on with the woman because his only other option was to shoot her. You'd think he learned a lesson, but sadly no. I had to do the dog and pony routine with politicians a lot when I was younger, until we had a female democrat in office. She asked me a question and I hurt her feelings with my answer. That got me out of gov. security detail for the rest of my career.
    That's one way to get what you wanted.
    VDMSR.com
    Chief Developer for V Development Group
    Everything I post I do so as a private individual who is not representing any company or organization.

Quote Originally Posted by voodoo_man View Post
    That's one way to get what you wanted.
    When the younger guys would bitch about pulling governors detail I'd tell them, "I know a way you can get out of that forever."
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

When the younger guys would bitch about pulling governors detail I'd tell them, "I know a way you can get out of that forever."
    When I was doing a protection detail for Secret Service as an OTA way back when...I told them "anybody but Jesse Jackson". So, guess who they assigned me to? Yup...

I found a way to get off after a weekend.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    Extremely common, Glenn.

Either by office or agency policy (not sure), we're prohibited from using those combo cuff/single mag pouches. I guess the idea behind it is that they're very convenient and if they were allowed then people would be more inclined to only carry 1 reload, instead of two. The real effect is that when doing office days, the "target population" simply carries the gun and badge instead of at least having a reload. Counterproductive, IMO.

*Except for the NJ State Troopers. Those guys are pretty much always ready to party whenever, wherever.....
    The problem with most of these combo pouches is they are one large pouch divided by a tension screw. The problem is double stack mags are thicker than the cuffs so something is always too tight or too loose.

The best versions have separate pouches for the mag and the cuffs on one backer. Don Hume and HSGI both make acceptable versions.
    Last edited by HCM; 04-28-2017 at 01:31 PM.

I'm in plain clothes at work, but I have on me: G19, two reloads, Surefire Fury, cuffs, G26 on the ankle. In my backpack are two more magazines, a second flashlight, a second set of cuffs, and medical supplies.

On the other end of the spectrum, I've had folks in my agency show up at "investigative activities" with a J-frame and no spare ammunition, a PM9 or G43 and same, or no firearm at all. I don't think I've ever seen anyone with a pair of cuffs except at our annual mandatory "defensive tactics" refresher. I rarely see spare magazines except on the range. I had one agent, in the not too distant past, show up for qualification with no covering garment (so she had been walking around in the public for some time openly armed) with an UNLOADED pistol.

It used to chap my butt when I was working for the USAF and agents would go out and about in San Antonio with no weapon, but their belt badge conspicuously displayed FACE IN on their belt, in order to get noticed/discounts/whatever. (Policy prohibited displaying the belt badge when not armed).

Oh well. There are folks who are dedicated, and folks who are posers. Not saying you have to be a Timmy full time, but, if you're openly showing your "colors" you'd best be ready to back up you fashion statement...

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    If we're playing show and tell, I carry:

Belt:
    P226
    1 reload
    badge
    sometimes a knife (I'm thinking ahead to SouthNarc's class and after)

Pockets:
    Keys
    Wallet
    Phone
    Knife with glass punch and seat belt cutter
    Definitely not a sap, but a heavy leather coin purse that might be mistaken for a sap if someone didn't realize it was simply a coin purse.

Ankle:
    BUG, LCR but trying out the Shield

Other ankle:
    Cuffs
    flashlight
    tourniquet

In the car, I've got a shotgun and AR, several mags for each, soft and hard armor, helmet, etc.

I can't imagine showing a badge and no firearm. I also cringe when I see the polo/khaki squad with FOBUS non-retention holsters open carrying. Plus polos. Side note, I really dislike the "soft" polo look. A detective is in a position of authority and trust. That is a position for a traditional display of such, at least business casual and preferably a decent suit.
    Last edited by BehindBlueI's; 04-28-2017 at 05:02 PM.

User Tag List