Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: What to do in the drive-through?

Quote Originally Posted by GardoneVT View Post
    Card data could be compromised from any number of places. Sometimes not even from a purchase- and perhaps months after the fact. A merchant you used six months ago with transaction data going back multiple years could be compromised recently.
    All too true.

Quote Originally Posted by GardoneVT View Post
    Only proven way to manage this is to snag a prepaid card, preload funds needed for the purchase and assume it will be compromised eventually.
    Which effectively undoes the main advantage of typical "universal use" credit cards, that of instant and ongoing purchase-convenience.
    "Therefore, since the world has still... Much good, but much less good than ill,
    And while the sun and moon endure, Luck's a chance, but trouble's sure,
    I'd face it as a wise man would, And train for ill and not for good." -- A.E. Housman

Site Supporter

Skimmers

Quote Originally Posted by Rich_Jenkins View Post

Y'all got any advice for recognizing skimmers?
    Brian Krebs blogs about skimmers among other security topics.

Most of the IT security stuff is way over my head but I still find it interesting. Here's his skimmer series

https://krebsonsecurity.com/all-about-skimmers/
    'Nobody ever called the fire department because they did something intelligent'

Quote Originally Posted by SAWBONES View Post
    Which effectively undoes the main advantage of typical "universal use" credit cards, that of instant and ongoing purchase-convenience.
    Well,one can purchase reloadable debit cards from any of the major providers and they'll behave just like a personal card. You need only keep a set amount of money you don't mind losing ,and if you suspect fraudulent activity simply chuck it.

Alternatively one may just charge their regular expenses to a credit card ,pay off the balance and let the bank deal with the issue when it gets compromised,but I realize some may find debt personally objectionable.
    The Minority Marksman.
    "When you meet a swordsman, draw your sword: Do not recite poetry to one who is not a poet."
    -a Ch'an Buddhist axiom.

User Tag List