Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What to do in the drive-through?

What to do in the drive-through?

I'll use some scenarios to illustrate what I'd like to discuss:

Scenario a)

A few days ago, I went out to meet some friends somewhere. I did not have a gun because I was going somewhere I knew I would be drinking (yes, always carry always no matter what -- but I still want to live my life and toting while drinking is illegal here and, in my opinion, irresponsible). I did have pepper spray on my keychain -- which, at the time, was in the ignition (the Sabre Red size I use does not have a quick release tab -- so, effectively useless in this scenario). Before meeting up, I went to the ATM to withdraw some cash, time was about 10pm. I circled around the bank to get to the drive-up ATM and didn't notice anybody. No other cars were at the bank. Car goes in park, insert the card, enter the PIN, and all of the sudden I see a male in a hoodie and baseball cap (weather was about 75 degrees) approaching me from the back of the bank.

As I notice him, I said, "hey man, what's going on?" He was about 50 feet away at this point. His response: "It's all good." That concerned me. He continues walking toward me. He follows up: "I'm just trying to use the ATM." Unsolicited, he repeats: "It's all good." That really concerned me. By this point, he was about 30 feet away from me. Somewhere between the first "it's all good" and the "I'm just trying to use the ATM," I put the car in drive -- I don't recall thinking about that at all. With the second "it's all good," I started hitting cancel on the ATM to have it give me my card back. I said, "that's cool man, hang out over there and I'll be done in a second." He continued advancing -- oh, shit. ATM spits my card out, I grab it and take off. I go find another ATM and go on with my evening out.

I could see his hands at all times. The only concerning thing about his appearance was the hoodie + baseball hat combo, as the hood didn't match the weather (warm, humid). His unseasonable choice of clothing combined with the "reassurances" led me to believe that this was probably a setup for a robbery, thus me GTFO'ing.

Scenario b) (generalized)

In my previous city, I had a friend whose place I was often at late at night. Their place wasn't in the greatest area, but it was also conveniently close to a really amazing chicken place (unfortunately situated in a worse area) so we often ended up in a long drive through between the hours of Irresponsible PM and Poor Life Choices AM. Among certain cultures, it's... not uncommon to approach total strangers as they walk along the street or sit in their cars in the drive through. Often, they were panhandlers. I can recall several times where a total stranger approached our window unsolicited while in the drive through. Unlike the first scenario, I was always armed when out there. Also unlike the first scenario, I typically had a car behind me, a car in front of me, and a low concrete parking lot barrier to one side and the restaurant on the other.

---

Apart from "don't get chicken at 1am on a Friday in the ghetto," what are some steps we can take when dealing with an approaching stranger, specific to the context of sitting in a drive-through? What about actions that don't necessitate producing a firearm or other tool, but should be red flags? What about our responses to those actions (again, that don't involve producing a firearm/other tool)? What if we cannot drive off?

Thanks!

What to do in the drive-through?

I'd say you made the correct call de assing the ATM, and also by acknowledging the guy. I'm not an expert but... I like to acknowledge peoples presence as they approach me, I'll make eye contact at a minimum to at least let them know I'm watching. With homeless people I avoid eye contact but I watch them, ignoring them when possible. If someone approached my car in a compromising position I would let them know to back away in a firm, serious, but not dick headish voices, and I'd be prepared to get physical. Play stupid games win stupid prizes.

Edit: also, this isn't an option for some people but... I don't drink. Therefore I'm always carrying. I usually just let my girlfriend get good and sauced up and the night is usually plenty entertaining from there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Mr. Goodtimes; 04-27-2017 at 02:04 PM.

Firm response: "KEEP MOVING".

Let them figure out the 'or else' part.
    Are you now, or have you ever been a member of the Doodie Project?

I think you did great.

Nothing good would have come from a). Only thing I can say (and you know this) is maybe plan on not using the ATM at 10PM. If you say "all of a sudden" someone appeared, your SA could be improved. At least you had him at 50'. Good.

I am interested in the responses here; one of my bucket list items is to take MUC with SouthNarc.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Site Supporter
    Good reactions.

Minor habits I'd recommend based off similar past experiences - don't put it in park again going through any drive throughs. Keep it in drive, foot on the brake.
    You'll need to learn to drive closer to the wall, which makes it easier for you, and harder for someone to approach your driver's side from behind.

It's also just money - ditch the card if you need to and go through the bank if they do get the funds. It's possible to get refunded for theft/fraud, but not buy another life.

Quote Originally Posted by jeep45238 View Post
    Good reactions.

Minor habits I'd recommend based off similar past experiences - don't put it in park again going through any drive throughs. Keep it in drive, foot on the brake.
    You'll need to learn to drive closer to the wall, which makes it easier for you, and harder for someone to approach your driver's side from behind.

It's also just money - ditch the card if you need to and go through the bank if they do get the funds. It's possible to get refunded for theft/fraud, but not buy another life.
    Absolutely true, and something I remember realizing I may need to do in the next few seconds. I think it was just good timing on my part re: hitting cancel, as the card came out pretty much right at the same time I went from concerned to "I need to leave right now." In retrospect, I don't believe I would have waited any longer on it.

I thought this method from Tony Blauer was good in some cases similar to your first situation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fpEQICb-9Sg

Some other choices are to use an indoor point of sale at a grocery store or similarly well lit,occupied location. Buy something small and get cash back. This avoids ATM fee, puts you in a less vulnerable position and isn't quite as obvious a badguy magnet as an ATM.

You did well and have received some good advice. The only thing I would have done differently is eschew the drinking in favor of carrying the gun, but that's just me.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

Thanks for the input so far.

Specific to the car/drive-through, my thought has always been that the default response should be to leave if possible. On park/drive, I'll have to work on getting closer to the ATM/window. My car sits pretty low and I don't have much reach to work with. The times I've deliberately not put it in park (non-specific threat, but "bad" area), I've basically had to stand on my brake to do whatever needed doing. Nevertheless, I think it's a sound idea; I'll just have to work on building the habit.

Cash back at some sort of retail place may be a good idea if I need cash late at night. That's something I didn't consider at all.

On an immediate command ("KEEP MOVING!"): I can see that working on somebody who is obviously panhandling (I've successfully used a firm "no" in the past).

I don't know how applicable a direct command would be to a "normal" approaching stranger. While the goal is obviously to prevent a confrontation before it starts, I don't want to precipitate one either by offending somebody who's very adamant about their right to be in the same parking lot as me. Frankly, I don't picture a direct command going over too well in certain places I've lived or frequented; quite the contrary, it would be an invitation for some kid to test the "...or else" part of the equation. I don't want to have a conversation with the guy: my communication goals are limited to a) "Hey, I see you" and b) "I don't like what you're doing and I want you to stop it." I also don't want to seriously piss off somebody who isn't coming with any ill-intent, but may nevertheless take a direct command badly. I'm curious how to find that balance, because I don't think my verbal challenges were ideal (they're verbatim in the OP to the best of my memory).
    @Rich_Jenkins: Picture the bank as a box with a squared-off U-shaped road around it; the left prong of the U is the entrance, you have to circle around back by the dumpsters and whatever else, and then the ATMs are on the right prong of the U under an awning. He came from behind the bank. I'm happy I saw him when I did because he still had plenty of ground to cover (three lanes of whatever-those-tube-deposit-things-are-called). Having said that, using an ATM requires a fair bit of task fixation -- that thing we're cautioned to avoid in public.

Watch out for any outdoor ATMs or drive through ATMs. There are crews of bad dudes here in central Texas (organized, Smart, and very slick) that target bank atms and drive throughs. They set up surveillance, follow your vehicle and then either burglarize your vehicle (preferred) or rob you. They have been known to follow people to their homes and jobs. It's a relatively new trend and something to watch out for.

Another reason to not use an outdoor ATM is skimmers...
    Last edited by secondstoryguy; 04-27-2017 at 10:01 PM.

User Tag List