Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Anyone here hunt big game with a handgun (any type)?

Enough thread derailing.

Something large:

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Dobbs View Post
    Brother,

You are a modern day Elmer Keith! He wrote of shooting jacks in Idaho, I believe. Looks like you are doing the Lord's work!
    I very much appreciate the Kudos from someone of your caliber. Not to mention the reference to Keith.

Speaking of Keith, He wrote a lot on Idaho's Pahsimeroi Valley, when talking about Jack shooting, Antelope hunting, etc.

My cabin is not far and I have spent a fair amount of time exploring the same places he did.

Here are some pics doing some long range handgunning on the Pahsimeroi Valley's Horse Heaven Pass.

I was using my 29-2 .44 with 240 grain SWCs that day, with targets ranging from 350 to 650(ish) if I recall right. I can't recall off the top of my head.

A 5" 29-2 was used as well

Along with a " 29-2

Last edited by Lost River; 04-29-2017 at 12:55 PM. Reason: spelin

Speaking of long range and Elmer Keith. Many don't believe what is possible with a handgun.

Here are a couple pics of a target that is roughly 3x3 feet. The distance from my cabin is 780 yards. Lots of things come into play, but with an accurate sixgun, and a steady hand, you can make hits at such distances.

I actually managed to get a single hit (out of 13 in my Glock 21) with a .45 ACP.

More long range handgunning at the dried up Mackay reservoir, with targets out to 500 yards.

Pahsimeroi Valley:

I hunt everything with a handgun. From vermin to big game. But if I had to pick a favorite it would be shooting vermin.

It has been about 15 years since I hunted with a long gun (except muzzleloader season I use a flint lock)

I've hunted everything from rabbits, squirrels and groundhogs to deer with handguns. One of my favorites was a deer I took with my Ruger Old Army with a 45 Colt conversion cylinder loaded with a 240Gr Speer GD to about 875 fps. I still-hunted up to about 25 yards from it as it was feeding and took it with a quartering away shot through the ribs, heart and far shoulder. Why the OA? Just because.

My favorite deer hunting revolvers are a couple of Rugers, both with 5.5 inch barrels, a 45 Colt Bisley and a 44 magnum that started as a Super Blackhawk which I later converted to Bisley configuration. My eyes are getting old and the sights blurry. I may have to scope one soon.

Far Upper Midwest. Lower Midwest When I Absolutely Have To
    Nice pics all.

I seriously need to proofread more.

I skipped right over the fact that the first revolver shown in regards to long range shooting was a 6.5" 29-2, shown here:

and later, the gun that is in full recoil is a 4" 29-2.
    Last edited by Lost River; 04-30-2017 at 09:22 AM.

Mackay Reservoir long range handgunning:

BTW, I should note that a tall plastic Folgers coffee can will hold 550 rounds of .44 mag ammo.
    Last edited by Lost River; 04-30-2017 at 09:26 AM.

Site Supporter
    LostRiver, I never tire of your photos...especially of your landscapes and more than especially your nicely worn revolvers.

I should hunt...

User Tag List